BSOD! Can't play games. Help

My system:
Athlon 1.3GHz Thunderbird
Iwill KK266 mobo
GeForce3 Ti200 64MB video card
1 gig of pc133 ram
Windows XP Pro, SP2
(Old machine, I know)

I got Halo from my brother and I have been playing online a lot, lately. Unfortunately, the game, and sometimes the whole machine, would crash from time to time. It got to the point where I could only play a few minutes(10, maybe) at a time. Since I was running out of room on my hard drive I decided to do a Windows re-install. Because I wanted to play Halo right away, I installed all Windows updates, an anti-virus, firewall, and the latest driver for my graphics card.

I thought I was all set. Nope. The game now crashes after about 1 or 2 minutes if I'm lucky. When only the game crashes, it generates an Exception Report, which I don't get to read. When the whole machine crashes, I get a BSOD. This was all happening before the Windows reinstall, only less frequently.

The BSOD's take this form:

At the top of the screen, several different error messages have appeared with each BSOD.

Some examples are:

BAD_POOL_HEADER

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Near the bottom of the page there is Technical Info.

It ususally says something like:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE3597780, 0x00000000, 0xBF2B296A, 0x00000001)

*** nv4_disp.dll -Address BF2B296A base at BF012000, Datestamp 42B0D02C

Physical memory is dumped, etc.

Nv4_disp.dll is the Nvidia driver. By plugging this into Google, I have found several responses, but so far, no solution for me. I found several references to this at Windows Annoyances. There are almost as many different solutions as there are respondants to the thread that discusses this problem.

So far, I have tried rolling back the driver to an older version, and this did not work.

I have tested all my sticks of memory. Not the problem.

One thing I cannot do, is swap out my video card. It is an older 3.3V card and I don't have a spare. A couple of years ago, I took the fan off of the GPU, because it had quit turning. However, this never seemed to cause a problem. However, I have noticed that the heatsink on the GPU does get awfully hot.

Also, these crashes not only occur when playing Halo, but also when playing UT2003.

One more detail. When Halo is running, there is this one peculiar graphics problem. For example, if a character is wearing the blue armor, he might a blue pole sticking out of his head that goes into the sky. It's not really a pole, more like a graphics anomaly.

If you have read all of this, bless you.

If you have any ideas, please share.

Thanks.

(I'm really jonesing for some Halo multiplayer.)
Old 07-20-05, 10:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would normally suspect RAM. Games stress it from a temperature and a using-all-bits standpoint.

But the fan being off your video card seems highly suspect. I would bet that's the problem.

You might want to try extra cooling or underclocking your system temporarily to see if it stops.
Old 07-21-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with X ... you really need a fan on that video card. You could also ruin your computer i would imagine if it gets too hot.
Old 07-21-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the video processor is failing due to the high temps caused by the lack of the fan cooling it. a new fan or better cooling might help although it is posssible that it may continue to give you problems even then if you have damaged it.
Old 07-21-05, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried uninstalling the video card from Device Manager, then reinstalling it again.

I recommend actually uninstalling the video card from your DM, then shut down. REMOVE the card. Then start up. You'll get errors. This is fine. Shut down again, then insert the card. Start back up, then install the latest nvidia drivers.

Second, try lowering the speed of your memory (don't max it out to "Turbo" or whatever the setting is). Also, set your CAS to 3, instead of 2.
Old 07-21-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Let's file this under the category of "You Learn Somthing New Everyday."

My 2001 mobo is AGP 2.0 compliant. Apparently, I can run 3.3v or 1.5v cards. Uninstalled my card and tried my friends ATI based card. No problems whatsoever. So I'm off to Fry's to get a cheap replacement.

Thanks, all.

PS(Useful link showing the difference between 3.3v and 1.5v cards)

http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html

Last edited by Alvis; 07-21-05 at 08:52 AM.