Reload this Page >

DivX to AVI (DVD) ?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DivX to AVI (DVD) ?

Old 05-03-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DivX to AVI (DVD) ?

First off. NONE of these files are copywrited in any way.

I just want to back up DivX files I have into a different format.

I am having a hell of a time finding info on this.

I have some DivX videos that I want to back up onto a DVD-R.

First off... I tried having Ulead DVD Workshop2 do the conversions during the authoring/burning process, and it took over 2 hours (for files that fit 2 HOURS on a regular CD)

How can I convert these AHEAD of time? I saw an article online about TMPGE Plus doing it in under 30 minutes, but I can not find the article--

Ok...

1. How can I convert Divx to AVI, MPEG2, etc?

2. How can I EDIT some 8 - 20 second clips FROM the Dvix files?

I am banging my head against the wall over here...

I have tried DVDRHELP, but no luck! I tried using Virtualdub like they suggest, and it will not load the DivX file

I have tried using TMPGE Plus (and again it won't load the file)

I have tried loading more codecs and some kind of codec changer (that was supposed to allow TMPGE recognize the file, but THE codec changer would not work. Ugghhhh

Thanks guys
Old 05-04-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You could try WinAVI.
Old 05-04-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
You could try WinAVI.
Looks good, I may give that a try.

Thanks Chew!

Do you know anything about how much space converted files will take?

I don't understand why 2 hours will fit on a CD (750 mb) in Divx format but when I change it to DVD format, it suddently takes UP 4GB
Old 05-05-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.vcdhelp.com
www.doom9.net

great sites with a ton of info.
Old 05-05-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hypeiv
www.vcdhelp.com
www.doom9.net

great sites with a ton of info.
Yeah, surpisingly the info I got from vcdhelp (aka dvdrhelp) did NOT work, and the guides listed incorrect info.

I'll try doom9

Thanks!
Old 05-05-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sominex
Looks good, I may give that a try.

Thanks Chew!

Do you know anything about how much space converted files will take?

I don't understand why 2 hours will fit on a CD (750 mb) in Divx format but when I change it to DVD format, it suddently takes UP 4GB
bitrate and compression... usually a divx movie you download is a much lower bitrate than a DVD (how many bits of data over per second of video) and also has compressed audio (such as mp3 instead of ac3 I think mp3's are like 15-25% the size of an ac3 sound file).

Divx can produce pretty good quality at much lower bitrates when compared to mpeg2 thus when going from divx -> mpeg2 you have to encode at a higher bitrate the keep the quality which means larger file size.
Old 05-05-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, surpisingly the info I got from vcdhelp (aka dvdrhelp) did NOT work, and the guides listed incorrect info.

I'll try doom9

Thanks!

I havn't used doom9 in awhile but I know they have guides for what your trying to do and sometime he has download packs that include everything you need.

Your best bet is most likely going to be tmpgenc. I load up divx files into that program and select SVCD and burn tv shows for my parents (divx -> svcd). The program has options for DVD I am sure I could just as easily select dvd from the wizard and it would encode it no problem.

I just have the "kazaa lite codec pack" and it gives me all the codecs I need to do this. Sometimes TMPGenc messes up on the audio and I have to change a setting. I am work right now but if thats your problem I can look up the solution for you.
Old 05-05-05, 11:25 AM

DivX is a compressed format while DVD format is basically mpeg2, which has very little compression, if any. In a nut shell, a DivX video focusses all of it's attention on the moving portions of the video; the unmoving portions are left static until they start to move; that's why subtly moving things in DivX such as water or smoke tend to look chunky. This is what allows a DVD to be made so much smaller when converted to DivX

When you take an mpeg2 video and compress it into DivX, your video quality will drop. The degree of that drop will depend on how much it is compressed and the video codec used. The DivX codec, and even better, the XviD codec, are constantly evolving and the compressions are getting better. Also, because of the compression, DivX vids are very difficult to edit ... they're basically one big algorithm

However, when you uncompress a DivX and move it to mpeg2, you will not be returning the video to DVD quality, though you will be returning it to DVD size. Think of it like miniaturizing a picture with a photocopier and then blowing it back up again ... size will be the same, but quality will be less.

Help?

Last edited by phoomp; 05-05-05 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-05-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hypeiv
bitrate and compression... usually a divx movie you download is a much lower bitrate than a DVD (how many bits of data over per second of video) and also has compressed audio (such as mp3 instead of ac3 I think mp3's are like 15-25% the size of an ac3 sound file).

Divx can produce pretty good quality at much lower bitrates when compared to mpeg2 thus when going from divx -> mpeg2 you have to encode at a higher bitrate the keep the quality which means larger file size.
Very thorough answer, thanks hypeiv!

But I never did get TMPG to work though unfortunately.

Thank you as well phoomp! I appreciate the details and times you put into your posts.

I think I am going to start alotting 45 minutes a day to read up on bitrates, compression and formats so I can be more educated on these things
Old 05-06-05, 03:53 AM

DVD Santa or Canopus ProCoder.

Your choice.