Reload this Page >

Time lapse movie - how to??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-22-05, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are building a new building, and I would like to make a time-lapse movie of the construction. My idea was to put a laptop and a webcam to observe the site, and have the laptop take pictures every xx minutes.

A couple of questions:
1. Does anybody know of software that can trigger the webcam every so many minutes to take a picture and save it on harddisk (with a sequential number). I have a creative labs webcam.

2. Better yet: I have a digital camera (Canon). Would there be software that can trigger the digital camera (linked via USB) to take a picture every xx minutes?

3. Once all the pictures have been taken (as a jpg??), they need to be converted to a movie (avi??). What software could I use for that?

Preferably, all software should be free (wishful thinking, I know).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 03-22-05, 05:50 PM

1. Does anybody know of software that can trigger the webcam every so many minutes to take a picture and save it on harddisk (with a sequential number). I have a creative labs webcam.
There should be programs to do this, a quick google of "time lapse video program" turned up some relevant links. Alternatively, you could also use a macro program, that records keystrokes and mouse movements/clicks and "record" the motions necessary to take snapshots and set it to go off every XX minutes. But you should be able to find a free program to do this the less circuitous way.

2. Better yet: I have a digital camera (Canon). Would there be software that can trigger the digital camera (linked via USB) to take a picture every xx minutes?
I think most dig cameras use the USB so it can be used as a mass storage device - copying and deleting the images from the PC, instead of being able to control the camera's functions. Alternatively, you could train a chicken to peck at the button at given intervals. Sorry, ignore that last suggestion.

3. Once all the pictures have been taken (as a jpg??), they need to be converted to a movie (avi??). What software could I use for that?
If all you need to do is convert a series of jpg's into an avi, without any fancy video editing, there should be plenty of free utilities to do this. I haven't checked the programs, but you can try http://www.freewarehome.com/Graphics...d_Video_t.html
Old 03-23-05, 12:52 AM

Hi Rain man,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have found plenty of programs to do the conversion from a bunch of jpg to an avi, so that should be ok.

I don't seem to be able to find a program to actually acquire the images. Would anybody be able to point me in the correct direction?
Old 03-23-05, 10:14 PM

Nobody any other suggestions? Has nobody ever tried this? Boohooo.
Old 03-24-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Try the Windows XP Powertoy for webcam.

Webcam Timershot
This PowerToy lets you take pictures at specified time intervals from a Webcam connected to your computer and save them to a location that you designate.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe