Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows Media Player 9 - no sound playing mpg file

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-08-05, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 computers, both running XP fully patched, both with Windows Media Player 9. When I play an mpg file on computer A, it plays fine. On computer B, it plays, but there is no sound.

However, mp3 files play fine on both computers.

Anyone have an idea why the mpg file's sound isn't playing on computer B?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by buffotoad
I have 2 computers, both running XP fully patched, both with Windows Media Player 9. When I play an mpg file on computer A, it plays fine. On computer B, it plays, but there is no sound.

However, mp3 files play fine on both computers.

Anyone have an idea why the mpg file's sound isn't playing on computer B?

Thanks.
Codecs?

Tools>Options>Player tab>is there a check mark on "Download codecs automatically?

Make sure sound slinder in WMP is towards the right!
You may also want to check your sound volume settings in the Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices>Speaker volume

Sometimes 3rd party apps can 'play" with the sound aspect. I go through this also in WMP

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 03-08-05 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 05:25 AM

Codecs?

Tools>Options>Player tab>is there a check mark on "Download codecs automatically?
68ShelbyGT, you are on to something with the codecs. I didn't have this checked off, but did so.

Now when I try to play the mpg file, I see this quick message in Media Player: "Error downloading codec".

And the mpg file has a note attached to it that says: "one or more codecs required to open this content could not be found".

The mpg file giving me the problem is a TV show that I recorded using my ATI All-in-wonder TV card (which is on computer A).

Do you know how to determine which codec it needs?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-05, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AVICodec
Load the mpg into the AVI codec program. It will tell you the video/audio most times. Also if it is mpeg1 (VCD) or mpeg2(SVCD) for burning purposes.

This page also has some codec packs on them, but don't install toomany packs. They can wreak havoc sometimes.

You can also try Quicktime Alternative. It has codec included in it. It may Plug them into you Windows Media Player. Also a great, freeware player to use instead of Quicktime. There also is a RealAlternative player.
Old 03-09-05, 10:23 AM

68ShelbyGT, I loaded the file into AVICODEC. It showed that the audio was MPEG-1 audio layer 2 (0xc0) and indicated that it was supported. So I don't know why it doesn't have sound. I have been through all the settings I can find, and all look good. And I don't think I am overlooking any volume controls because mp3's play.

I am fearful of playing around with the codec downloads because this is an area that I have very little knowledge. I would rather not muck up the whole computer in order to solve this very minor problem. I can just as easily play the mpg file on the other computer. I was hoping there was an easy resolution.

I am curious about what codecs WMP is unsuccessfully trying to download and from where. I will look into it and update if I find anything.

Thank you for your help!
Old 03-09-05, 01:03 PM

68ShelbyGT, curiousity got the best of me and I started fooling around. I found a site where someone recommended installing and de-installing PowerDVD (which I have). It was explained that it would install the codecs needed to play most files in Media Player. I liked this method because I could avoid having to fool around with some of the questionable codecs found all over the web, and having to guess at which ones I needed. I did so, and the file works in Media Player now!

Thank you for leading me to the answer!
Old 03-09-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
VLC or Videolan Client I think it is called plays just about ever thing worth playing. The one time it didn't play something I just downloaded the newest version and it was all good again. Try it. It comes with built in codecs to play everything.