Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

IE links keep disappearing

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-24-05, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the last few days, some of my Internet Explorer "Favorites" keep vanishing. The odd thing is that it's only the ones in the "Links" folder that vanish. It doesn't seem to matter whether the Links toolbar is active or not. All the rest stay intact, in the folder that they're currently in. I must have changed a setting somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. I'm guessing it's something really dumb that I've overlooked. I've looked thru Tweak UI, since the old version used to have a "paranoia" tab, but I don't see the equivalent in the XP version.

Now before you all get on my case, I do use Firefox most of the time, but IE still gets called on occasionally. I'm running XP Pro, fully updated, with Windows Firewall active, and I'm behind a router. I use Spywareblaster, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, as well as Norton Antivirus, with a clean bill of health.

Any ideas?
Old 02-24-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Download Tool Bar Repair and save to your hard drive.

Close Internet Explorer. Make sure it is NOT running

Run the File and place a check on "Internet Explorer" only and then Click the "Repair" button.

A reg key could be corrupt and this should fix it if this is the case, otherwise it could be some parasite on your system
Old 02-25-05, 11:48 AM

Tool Bar Repair provided a temporary fix, but the problem recurred.

I think the culprit may have been a FireFox extension that was overwriting the IE folder. I removed some of the extensions and updated to ver 1.01. It appears to be fixed. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boblandau
Tool Bar Repair provided a temporary fix, but the problem recurred.

I think the culprit may have been a FireFox extension that was overwriting the IE folder. I removed some of the extensions and updated to ver 1.01. It appears to be fixed. Thanks for the help.
Do you recall waht extentions you un-installed? Did you have multiple tab type extensions installed? What version of FF were you running?

The extension "ListZilla" will allow you to list your installed extentions and themes in either html, txt or vbcode format.
Old 02-25-05, 07:02 PM

I was running FireFox 1.0. I had at least 6 or 8 extensions running, the more the merrier. I believe that the culprit might have been SynchMarks. It may have been overwriting the "Links" folder, tho' I can't swear this was the problem. A few times I got an odd error message when closing FireFox, something about it not being able to clean something because the target or object or some bloody thing could not be found. You know, this is exactly what I yell at my clients about: "take notes on the changes you make, write down the error messages, yada yada..." So naturally, why would I take my own advice?

I removed most of the extensions, removed FF 1.0, then installed FF 1.01, and reinstalled just a few extensions. The IE problems seems to have disappeared.

I searched, but couldn't find the ListZilla extension.
Old 02-25-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Listzilla

You may need to add http://www.extensionsmirror.nl to you software sites to all software installations in FF>Tools>Options>webFeatures

vBcode Sample:

Generated Fri Feb 25 2005 19:15:51 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)

Enabled Extensions: (16)

Adblock 0.5.2.039 - Filters ads from web-pages
Add Bookmark Here 0.5.3 - A convenient way to add bookmarks.
AutoLogin 0.1 - Automatically logs in websites.
Bookmark Backup 0.3.1 - Creates a backup of bookmarks.html each time the browser is closed.
Bookmark Duplicate Detector 0.0.1 - Detects Duplicate Bookmarks when bookmarks are added
BugMeNot 0.6.1 - Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via www.bugmenot.com.
Create Shortcut 0.2.1 - Creates a shortcut to the current page/link on your desktop.
Download Sort 2.0.3 - Automatically save downloads to different directories.
ForecastFox 0.5.9 - Get international weather forecasts from weather.com, and display it in any toolbar or statusbar with this highly customizable extension.
Gmail Notifier 0.4.1 - A notifier for Gmail accounts.
ieview 0.84 - Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
LinkVisitor 1.0.20041021 - Mark link(s) as visited or unvisited.
ListZilla 0.5.1 - Outputs an alphabetical list of either extensions or themes to a text, vB code, or HTML file.
SessionSaver .2 0.2.1.026 - Magically restores your last browser session.
Sort Bookmarks 0.6.0 - This extension enhances bookmark sorting functionalities.
Tabbrowser Preferences 1.2.2 - Enhances control over some aspects of tabbed browsing.

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 02-25-05 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 08:25 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the help.