Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

New Apple iPods Released today (02/23/05)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-23-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Yahoo News

Apple Adds New Models to IPod Line

45 minutes ago U.S. National - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc (Nasdaq:AAPL - news). (AAPL.O) on Wednesday introduced new versions of its hugely popular digital music player, including an 'iPod mini' than can store more songs and has improved battery power.

Apple unveiled an "iPod mini" with 4 gigabytes of memory at around $200, as well as an "iPod photo" model with 60 gigabytes for about $450.

The company said both "iPod mini" models featured improved battery life of up to 18 hours.

Cupertino, California-based Apple is the No. 1 seller of portable digital music players -- often called MP3 players -- which allow users to carry thousand of songs on a device smaller than wallet. According to Banc of America Securities, Apple's share of the MP3 player market rose to 40.2 percent in the December quarter, up from 37.5 percent in the Sept. quarter.

Apple also introduced an iPod Camera Connector for about $30, that lets users link their digital camera to an iPod photo model -- which has a built-in color screen. Users can then transfer snapshots over to the iPod, where they can be viewed.

Looks like NO new colors on Apple's Website, but there is a 6Gig model Mini now at $249.00 and the 4gig drops to $199

No more 40gig Photo, just a 30gig now and the 60 gig ($349/$449)
Old 02-23-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
I believe that they also took out the 40gig Black and White version too. There's only a choice of the 20gig B&W and the 20gig U2 version on the Apple store website.

Although I purchased a Creative MuVo N2 flash player 1Gig recently, the price drop had made it more appealing for me to finally purchase an IPod. I was looking to get a hard drive based player anyways.
Old 02-23-05, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Apple also introduced an iPod Camera Connector for about $30, that lets users link their digital camera to an iPod photo model -- which has a built-in color screen. Users can then transfer snapshots over to the iPod, where they can be viewed.
I looked around for this, but I can't find it anywhere. I know that Belkin makes two camera/iPod related products..

The Belkin Digital Camera Link for iPod runs at $50 and it basically lets you connect a USB camera to the iPod to transfer the pictures to it that way.

The Belkin iPod Media Reader does the same basic thing, but you plug a media card into the reader and it transfers the pictures. $70.

Neither of these is specific to the color iPod, they'll work with the B&W iPod as well. Frankly the color isn't much worth it, IMO. Not until they get video playback.
Old 02-23-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

will the dock that came with the 20 gig 3G B&W ipod work with the new ipod photo (30 gig)? I really want to upgrade for the extra battery life....
thanks!
Old 02-23-05, 10:45 AM
Banned

The dock connector is basically the same across all the iPod's. The newer iPod Photo docks have an s-video out, which isn't on the older docks. So if you use an older dock, you won't have that. And if you use an older iPod on a newer dock, the S-Video just won't work. But they're still pin compatible, meaning charging, audio, pc connection, these all work.
Old 02-23-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Otto,
thanks for the info! I think I am going to ebay my 20 gig ipod w/o the dock and buy the 30 gig ipod photo! woo hoo!

also, does anyone know when the best buy / circuit city type stores will get this? the ipod is one of those rare devices where I want to buy an extended warrenty

thanks!
Old 02-23-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Otto
I looked around for this, but I can't find it anywhere. I know that Belkin makes two camera/iPod related products..
It's mentioned in the "iPod Photo Software Downloads" sidebar at http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/ :

"Upload photos directly from your camera using the optional iPod Camera Connector accessory, also arriving in March."

I don't think there's a product page for it yet.

The longer battery life of the new mini has me considering an upgrade, I have to admit.
Old 02-23-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 243 Likes on 143 Posts
Awesome news for me. I've been looking to get something new since my Dell DJ isn't compatible with my Mac mini. I'll only have to drop a little over $100 since a guy at work is eager to buy my DJ anyway.
I just placed an order for the silver 6 gig mini.
Old 02-23-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 452 Likes on 322 Posts
So the 60GB photo model is no longer $600? [sarcasm]How is apple going to make any money?[/sarcasm]

If I had the money I would by one.
Old 02-23-05, 04:48 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I just got a 40GB photo in Jan for $374 with the Pixar Employee Discount from a friend.
So I don't feel too pissed off, I'd feel worse if I had paid the full 500 for the 40GB though.

199 is a great price for the 4gb mini. watch them fly out of the stores now.
Old 02-23-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never wanted an iPod but now that a larger Mini and longer battery life is out, I think I might get one.
Old 02-23-05, 06:23 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
My iPod mini gets about 4 hours, and it's only 6 months old. *sigh* The 18 hour battery life sounds great, but I wonder what the real battery life will be.
Old 02-23-05, 07:37 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No interest in the new models. I just wish they'd price the 20 and 40's to be competitive with the Creative Zens, Dell DJs, etc. But of course they have no need to given they still outsell the competition even at the higher price point.

Nice to see a price drop on the mini, but I've never had any interest in an HD player below 15GB. Still not the best to run/work out with (due to possible skipping/damage and still being a little too big for me) so I'd rather get a flash player and a high capacity player, which is what I ended up doing.
Old 02-23-05, 09:56 PM

Amazon has the 4GB iPod Mini for 179 w/ free shipping.
Old 02-23-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol someone just bought(and paid instantly) my used ipod mini for $307 on ebay yesterday. time to order a new one from amazon for $179
Old 02-24-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
lol someone just bought(and paid instantly) my used ipod mini for $307 on ebay yesterday. time to order a new one from amazon for $179
Suckah!

You did good...
Old 02-24-05, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Otto,
thanks for the info! I think I am going to ebay my 20 gig ipod w/o the dock and buy the 30 gig ipod photo! woo hoo!

also, does anyone know when the best buy / circuit city type stores will get this? the ipod is one of those rare devices where I want to buy an extended warrenty
Before you go and buy the thing, I think you might want to ask around about that first. I know the connector is the same, but the iPod Photo itself is a bit wider, I think. So while the connection is fine, it might not actually fit into the older dock's cover piece.

And a dock is only $30 anyway.
Old 02-24-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Otto, thanks for the info - I hadn't thought about the size difference. I think I will just ebay the whole package and then buy the photo+dock. thanks!
Old 02-24-05, 10:26 AM
Banned

New Apple iPod firmware was released a couple of days ago too. http://www.apple.com/ipod/download

The update really only applies to 1, 2, and 3G iPods, and it adds all the stuff that the 4G's have which the older ones lacked:
-Browse menu becomes the Music menu.
-Music menu now contains a Playlists item and an AudioBooks item. Audiobooks (M4B's and AA's) get filtered out of the other categories and into here.
-New Main menu item: Shuffle Songs. One press to shuffle and play all the songs on the iPod.
-Multiple OTG playlist support: Make an OTG playlist and save it or clear it on the iPod itself. Delete items from the OTG playlist on the iPod itself.
-The charging screen now shows a continous battery with 8 steps instead of the 4 grayish blocks it had before. I think it looks cooler. Much easier to see too.
Old 02-24-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 452 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie

That is awesome. Gotta love taking advantage of those not "in the know." It is the same for me when they announce a re-release dvd. Up it goes and people snatch them up like crazy.
Old 02-24-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Apple 'unveiled' a 4 gig iPod mini? What the hell is the article talking about?
Old 02-24-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That is awesome. Gotta love taking advantage of those not "in the know." It is the same for me when they announce a re-release dvd. Up it goes and people snatch them up like crazy.
i wasn't really trying to take advantage of anyone, it was just great timing. the auction went up 4 days before this announcement with no reserve and a 99 cent starting price. I couldn't believe I got $300 for it when they were $249 new. then when I saw them for $179 brand new SHIPPED, with a longer battery life 1 day later.....god bless the Ebayers.
Old 02-24-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I DLed the firmware update and it didn't do anything to my 3G ipod. can someone confirm that this works?
thanks!
Old 02-24-05, 08:36 PM

AAArrrgg...... I just bought the 20GB a few days ago. If I know this happen, I would buy the 30GB photo.
Old 02-24-05, 09:04 PM

Buy.com has an instant $20 rebate on all instock Ipod's right now...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.