Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What programs do you use to author DVDs...?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-22-05, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the thing..

I'm planning on capping some home movie footage from my Sony camcorder to my comp. I'll be making DVD compliant MPEGs, so I don't need a program to reencode 'em [possibly just to edit 'em]. The last time I tried Ulead [I think it was], it reencoded 'em and it didn't come out too good.

So what do you use? And which have you found to be the easiest?
Old 02-22-05, 03:42 AM
Suspended

TMPGENC DVD Author, combined with VideoReDo.
Old 02-22-05, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Oh, I should've also mentioned that i'd like to use a prog that lets you create some menus. Doesn't have to be anything fancy [it's only my fiance's parents who'll be getting it]. IIRC TMPGENC doesn't allow you to change the layout or anything, right?
Old 02-22-05, 07:23 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm no expert at the Home Movie creation so ease of use was important... the two products that I found that are the easiest to work with are Sonic's MyDVD v6 (?) and Pinnacle Studio v9.3.5. MyDVD is very simple, menu driven but I haven't tried any editing in it since most of my experience was with version 4.5 that didn't allow that. I just am beginning to try version 6 at a friend's place but haven't had much time on it yet.

http://www.sonic.com/products/mydvd/...te/default.asp

Pinnacle Studio 9.3.5 has been really great from a very simple capture from my SONY to editing to creation of menus to final writing. I would say that for the money that was the best choice for me as it is flexible enough of an application without being too complicated. I also purchased Hollywood FX on top of it and for additional transitions and its been fantastic.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category...._ID=7&Family=0
Old 02-22-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll have to check those out. Thanks!
Old 02-22-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
If you had a Mac, I'd recommend DVD Studio Pro 3...it's by far the most complete and feature-rich DVD authoring application available to most consumers. I've never seen anything that comes close to it.
Old 02-22-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DivX to DVD Converter from download.com will work for basic mpeg to vob stuff
Old 02-22-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 259 Posts
I recently picked up the Pinnacle Studio software mentioned above. I'm still playing around with it and learning how to use it, but so far it seems very nice (and pretty simple).
Old 02-22-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used DVD-lab in the past. It worked well.

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/
Old 02-22-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I use DVD-lab as well.
Old 02-22-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
You shouldn't capture to Mpeg, then edit it (other than a program that can trim scenes) because most programs will re-encode the mpeg again.

I use:
Adobe Premiere 6.5 to capture/edit/encode
DVDit PE 2.5 to create menu's and build DVD Folders
Nero to burn folders to DVD's
Old 02-22-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDShrink with Nero to burn it... It's a one-step (albeit somewhat slow) process that produces good results. I can pick and choose which items I don't want copied and what have you. It also handles the compression really well and it's all automatic.
Old 02-22-05, 08:06 PM

Well, the simple answer is: you made a mistake in Ulead.

You see, Ulead has an option someplace, something like "Do not convert MPEG compliant files", or something like that. It's in either "Options" or "Preferences".

Once you make sure that detail is taken care of, you're set. The program won't re-encode.

Personally, I find that Ulead DVD Workshop (not Movie Factory) has the best options and output results, better than even DVD Lab Pro. I used both DVD lab "regular" and "pro" (was a beta tester, too) but I kept getting some strange mastering errors on more complicated discs (multiple sound tracks and added bonus material).

I tried Sonic MyDVD, Pinnacle and TMPGEnc DVD applications, and I didn't like them. Ulead DVD Workshop is the most flexible and crash-free, and I like the simple and intuitive, yet totally customizable way in which you make menus, includion motion menus...

However, TMPGEnc DVD Author, I have to say, is excellent for putting VCD and KVCD files on a DVD, thus being able to cram more than 400 minutes of good-quality MPEG-1 on one 4.7 GB disc.
Old 08-18-06, 12:37 PM
DAC

Bumping to see if there are any other options/recommendations since Feb of 2005.
Old 01-02-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a bit of a bump but I didn’t want to create a new thread.
I have 5 AVI videos of about 830 Mb each (4.15 Gb). I want to create a DVD with a basic menu (basically allowing any of the five videos to be selected) holding all five videos.

I thought this would be easy. Using the basic Sonic that came with my laptop I set it all up and when I tried to burn it I was told that the project was going to be like 10+ Gb. Why would it be that large when I convert it? The option to “fit to disk” does not come with this version of Sonic, I would have to pay to upgrade. The version of Roxio I have also says it doesn’t have “DVD authoring” tools.

What am I doing wrong? What do I need to accomplish what I want? Is there a freeware program that would do it?
Old 01-02-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
I just use Nerovision since I already have Nero. As for the AVI problem. You might try converting the AVI files to DVD Video(VOB) files first and then import those vob files into the program you are using. Worth a try. Does Sonic have the ability to import a file on one type but have it convert/burn the file in another?
Old 01-02-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rw2516
I just use Nerovision since I already have Nero. As for the AVI problem. You might try converting the AVI files to DVD Video(VOB) files first and then import those vob files into the program you are using. Worth a try. Does Sonic have the ability to import a file on one type but have it convert/burn the file in another?
Not in the basic Sonic I got pre-loaded. Does converting AVI files to VOB files change/increase the size of the files? Will 4.15 Gb of AVI files fit once converted? What program (free, hopfully) should I use?
Old 01-02-07, 07:00 PM

I use Toast, but if I was serious I would use DVD Studio Pro.
Old 01-02-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've tried just about everything and can't seem to keep the audio in sync. maybe it's because I'm working with avi, but every dvd I author (using nero or roxio or tpmgenc - full version), but the sound always starts to lag.
Old 01-03-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Give ConvertXtoDVD a try. I've never had audio synch issues with that.
Old 01-03-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Not in the basic Sonic I got pre-loaded. Does converting AVI files to VOB files change/increase the size of the files? Will 4.15 Gb of AVI files fit once converted? What program (free, hopfully) should I use?
If you are wanting to burn a dvd that you can play on a dvd player/drive the files will have to be in the dvd video format(vob). Pretty sure about this, not positive. Some authoring/burning programs will let you import avi files and then convert them to vob before burning. Nero supports avi to vob conversion and if all the data won't fit will compress it to fit. I download a lot of quicktime files which nero doesn't support. I convert them to vob with WinAVI and then use nero to burn them. Never done any avi. WinAVI($30) has a trial version but there is a watermark on anything you convert using the free trial. Can't remember if Nero has a trial or not, it's not free. A blank disc holds 4.7Gb so not sure why 4.15 wouldn't fit. It's possible that the files would be larger as vob and that is why they don't fit.
Old 01-03-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

that's I'll give it a try
Old 01-03-07, 03:37 PM

I use VideoReDo to edit and DVDStyler to author. YMMV.
Old 01-11-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
^ Give ConvertXtoDVD a try. I've never had audio synch issues with that.

thanks a lot. it worked.
Old 01-12-07, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend