Computer problems, please help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-02-05, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 computer problems.

I had a problem with the computer and unfortanely, I had to reformat my hard drive and when I restarted the computer, I couldn't connect to the internet because the computer wouldn't recongize my modem and another problem, my computer has 16 and 256 colors but I tried to switch to 256 colors, it would not work, can anybody help? Thanks!
Old 02-02-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your modem should have a floppy or CD that contains the software drivers for it. (A driver is software used to control a hardware component or peripheral device of a computer, such as a modem, disk drive or printer. If you do not have the current device driver for a specific hardware item (i.e. modem), that device may not function properly.) If you don't have them, then download them from the manufactures web site according to the exact make/model of the modem. The same would apply to your video card.
What operating system are you running? If you are running ME or older (98), then the OS may not detect them natively. Win XP is pretty good at at least giving you the OS native drivers, though.

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 02-02-05 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Your modem should have a floppy or CD that contains the software drivers for it. (A driver is software used to control a hardware component or peripheral device of a computer, such as a modem, disk drive or printer. If you do not have the current device driver for a specific hardware item (i.e. modem), that device may not function properly.) If you don't have them, then download them from the manufactures web site according to the exact make/model of the modem. The same would apply to your video card.
What operating system are you running? If you are running ME or older (98), then the OS may not detect them natively. Win XP is pretty good at at least giving you the OS native drivers, though.
I am running Windows 98. I don't have a floppy or CD to install the software drivers for it and I don't know the website either
Old 02-02-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
open up the computer, take out the modem and video card, and write down the name/model anything you see on them. then go to the manufacturers website, and download the drivers for win98.

obviously, you need to do this on an internet capable computer..

and you're sure you don't have the original cds that came with the computer?
Old 02-02-05, 11:26 PM
Banned

I have a PCI Eternet but I tried to add the hardware but they don't have the driver for it even they tried to install the driver
Old 02-02-05, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nomaan
open up the computer, take out the modem and video card, and write down the name/model anything you see on them. then go to the manufacturers website, and download the drivers for win98.

obviously, you need to do this on an internet capable computer..

and you're sure you don't have the original cds that came with the computer?
I have the orginal CD to reboot/install Windows, that's it.
Old 02-02-05, 11:59 PM
Banned

How can I install the driver on my computer if I can't connect to the internet?
Old 02-03-05, 03:14 AM
Banned

I got the internet to work but not the color thing, it's still 16 colors and it's fucking horrible! I keep on trying to change to 256 but won't let me, there is 2 computer monitors which is:

Dell M770 on Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
Unknown Monitor on ATI 3D Rage Pro Air (atir3)

Dell M770 only has 8 and 16 colors

Unknown Monitor has 16 and 256 colors

I tried to change it to Unknown Monitor and 256 colors and I press OK but it didn't do anything and I press apply, it didn't do anything either.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-03-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is the resolution set at? The higher that setting is at, the lower the number of colors available, depending on video card, etc.
Old 02-03-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like you need the correct driver for your video card.
Old 02-03-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can download Belarc Advisor form www.belarc.com. It is the free download. Maybe it will be able to identify your video card, although I'm not sure it will without the driver. Worth a shot, though.
Old 02-03-05, 11:09 AM
Banned

My video card is the ATI All In Wonder Pro but the problem is that I lost the CD and I tried to install the driver on www.ati.com but the files are corrupted I guess I have to buy it again just to get the CD and install it again? If so, I hope it's easy to find
Old 02-03-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0....18&search.y=10
Old 02-03-05, 11:36 AM
Banned

It doesn't seem to have it. All In Wonder All Pro 128 32 MB
Old 02-03-05, 11:45 AM
Banned

Maybe I should save some $$$ and buy 256 MB (Right now I have 96 MB) and buy a 256 MB video card, what you guys think but I am not sure buying a memory card because the computer is old and maybe it couldn't handle 256 MB?