Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

Old 10-20-13, 08:58 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,975
Re: Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
Does the free version of Malwarebytes expire after a point? It keeps locking up on my after all of the scans, and I can't figure out if it's because the malware is so bad it can't manage it or it's just expired, I was under the impression the free version was indefinite.
No, the free Malwarebytes doesn't expire. There's just an option to purchase the full version.

If it's crashing, it's likely either a quirk of your system (corrupted file, conflict with another program) or you have some kind of malware on your computer that's attacking it and causing to crash.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 10-20-13, 10:02 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Re: Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
No, the free Malwarebytes doesn't expire. There's just an option to purchase the full version.

If it's crashing, it's likely either a quirk of your system (corrupted file, conflict with another program) or you have some kind of malware on your computer that's attacking it and causing to crash.
I've tried it and several of the anti-malware programs linked in this thread to no avail, I'm still getting pop-ups and ads galore from the likes of Superlyrics and others, and my Firefox settings aren't sticking. It's driving me nuts!
hanshotfirst1138 is offline  
Old 10-26-13, 07:48 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 5,200
Re: Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
Does the free version of Malwarebytes expire after a point? It keeps locking up on my after all of the scans, and I can't figure out if it's because the malware is so bad it can't manage it or it's just expired, I was under the impression the free version was indefinite.
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
I've tried it and several of the anti-malware programs linked in this thread to no avail, I'm still getting pop-ups and ads galore from the likes of Superlyrics and others, and my Firefox settings aren't sticking. It's driving me nuts!
Did you try to uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes?

Did you go into the Programs & Features and uninstall any toolbars that shouldn't be there?

I would download and install Avast and have it run a boot time scan.
zekeburger1979 is offline  
Old 02-23-14, 08:31 PM
  #54  
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 9,385
Re: Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

You can try this if the malware that's on your computer will allow it to run:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Choose Full Scan.
kd5 is offline  
Old 02-09-18, 04:28 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,816
Re: Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

I have an unwanted web page(Lenovo Official US Site) appear every time I start too use the older Internet Explorer. Anyway to prevent this? I have ad blocker but it doesn't want to remove that page. Thanks.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 02-09-18, 06:14 AM
  #56  
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 9,385
Re: Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

If it starts the moment you bring up IE, you can check Internet Options/General tab and make sure you don't have that as your homepage, or maybe if your chosen homepage is accompanied by a 2nd page (to Lenovo) you can remove the Lenovo page (delete it, then click Apply and OK, then close the page and bring it up from scratch to verify it's gone).
kd5 is offline  
Old 02-09-18, 07:47 AM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,816
Re: Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

That looks like the problem. Thanks.

I know I did something before that removed it but can't remember shit now a days.
dvd-4-life is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.