Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

Old 10-20-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Have Spyware/Popups? Read me first!

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 View Post
Does the free version of Malwarebytes expire after a point? It keeps locking up on my after all of the scans, and I can't figure out if it's because the malware is so bad it can't manage it or it's just expired, I was under the impression the free version was indefinite.
No, the free Malwarebytes doesn't expire. There's just an option to purchase the full version.

If it's crashing, it's likely either a quirk of your system (corrupted file, conflict with another program) or you have some kind of malware on your computer that's attacking it and causing to crash.
Old 10-20-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
No, the free Malwarebytes doesn't expire. There's just an option to purchase the full version.

If it's crashing, it's likely either a quirk of your system (corrupted file, conflict with another program) or you have some kind of malware on your computer that's attacking it and causing to crash.
I've tried it and several of the anti-malware programs linked in this thread to no avail, I'm still getting pop-ups and ads galore from the likes of Superlyrics and others, and my Firefox settings aren't sticking. It's driving me nuts!
Old 10-26-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does the free version of Malwarebytes expire after a point? It keeps locking up on my after all of the scans, and I can't figure out if it's because the malware is so bad it can't manage it or it's just expired, I was under the impression the free version was indefinite.
I've tried it and several of the anti-malware programs linked in this thread to no avail, I'm still getting pop-ups and ads galore from the likes of Superlyrics and others, and my Firefox settings aren't sticking. It's driving me nuts!
Did you try to uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes?

Did you go into the Programs & Features and uninstall any toolbars that shouldn't be there?

I would download and install Avast and have it run a boot time scan.
Old 02-23-14, 08:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can try this if the malware that's on your computer will allow it to run:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Choose Full Scan.
Old 02-09-18, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have an unwanted web page(Lenovo Official US Site) appear every time I start too use the older Internet Explorer. Anyway to prevent this? I have ad blocker but it doesn't want to remove that page. Thanks.
Old 02-09-18, 06:14 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it starts the moment you bring up IE, you can check Internet Options/General tab and make sure you don't have that as your homepage, or maybe if your chosen homepage is accompanied by a 2nd page (to Lenovo) you can remove the Lenovo page (delete it, then click Apply and OK, then close the page and bring it up from scratch to verify it's gone).
Old 02-09-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That looks like the problem. Thanks.

I know I did something before that removed it but can't remember shit now a days.