Reload this Page >

Automated MySQL backup question...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-17-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided that I need to setup an automated back up of on of my MySQL databases. I have found plenty of PHP scripts that can be run via a cron job, but they all seem to dump the SQL file on the server. What I am looking for is a simple script that will just email the backup files to an email address that I specify.

I found one that looks to be perfect, phpMySQLAutoBackup, the only problem is that it uses IonCube PHP Encoder and my host doesn't have that installed on the servers.

Anyone know of any scripts that will do this? Preferably something I can set up to run every day or so as a cron job.
Old 01-17-05, 12:41 PM

## in your crontab ##
5 0 * * * mysql_dump ... > filename
6 0 * * * mail [email protected] < filename

This is of course, very simplified, but I think this could work, no? The file does sit on the server tho. It's probably possible to just pipe the output of the script directly to email, as well.

Last edited by zutroy; 01-17-05 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 02:32 PM

How big is your database? You could quickly have the email server start bouncing the email because of size limitations. Can you dump the file to a directory and then have a backup process copy it to tape or another machine?
Old 01-17-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Zutroy, I will have to try that. It looks like it should work, but I would think I woul dhave come across that already in my searches. I will give it a whirl though.

Shay, the database currently is very small, a few k. I am not too concerned with size at this point because even if it is several megs it will be fine. I have unlimited email size so I don't think it will be a problem. I am not in charge of the server that the site is hosted on so I don't know what I can do in terms of tape backups and the like.

It is just buggin me that their are so many ready made PHP scripts that will dump the file onto the server, but nothing easily available to send as an email. Except for two that I have found so far that just didn't seem to work right.