Reload this Page >

Flash-based MP3 player for working out

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-14-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a cheap flash player. I need 512megs of capacity.

The MuVo TX seems good: mass storage, replaceable battery etc. Does anyone have one? How about MuVo Micro N200? Any other recommendations?

The Shuffle seems good mainly because iTunes kicks ass, but on further reflection, the somewhat ghey white color and $30 armband ain't doing it for me:
Hard to look muy macho wearing that.
Old 01-14-05, 10:57 AM
Retired

There were a couple nice 1GB player linked in the shuffle thread, that I'm thinking about checking out further. I'd imagine they have cheaper 512 counterparts as well.

You're complaint is my secondary gripe (after being overpriced) with Apples players. They just look to feminine for me.

Though being able to just pop the shuffle in the USB port and have iTunes fill it randomly would be handy when you didn't feel like listenting to albums or taking time to fill it yourself.
Old 01-14-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the Sony ones, but the Muvo ones would be my second choice, not to mention the fact they have many options and colors available including FM radio on some models. If you also use Audible.com for audiobooks then the Muvo would definitely be the way to go.

Last edited by darkside; 01-14-05 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-14-05, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to throw another one into the mix. I use this combo.
I like it becuase the USB key doubles as a... well a USB key! I can have tons of programs and junk, along with mp3 on my USB key. The downside to this combo is that the biggest Micro drive you can currently get is the 512MB. However the mini Sandisk keys will work (I've tried it personally), but they will stick out of the side.

Old 01-14-05, 12:41 PM

i am leaning towards the muvo n200 but i saw this today over at fw

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...yword1=sandisk

its a ymmv but i have heard that this is also a very good player...cheapest i can find the muvo n200 is around 160
Old 01-14-05, 01:00 PM
Retired

Yeah, that san disk one is the one I'm considering. But I'm think of waiting as I like the random loading of shuffle with iTunes (but not enough to make it a must buy), but want a screen or a cheaper price.
Old 01-14-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
You're complaint is my secondary gripe (after being overpriced) with Apples players. They just look to feminine for me.
having a hard time deciding if the shuffle looks more like a home pregnancy test
or if they should just call it the tamPod
Old 01-14-05, 03:37 PM
Retired

http://www.sofotex.com/12mp3-download_L20497.html

Just found that program. It will let you randomly fill up any USB mp3 player in two clicks. Takes the easy random filling advantage away from shuffle.
Old 01-14-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the new sony flash drives will still require the use of sonicstage (I hate that thing). But I think the 1gb has 70 hours from just one aaa battery. If you can tolerate sonicstage then I'd go for the sony player.

The ipod shuffle is not bad, but it only has 12 hours of playback from its built-in battery. I'd at least wait for some reviews when it comes out.

I think iriver looks the nicest, but I don't think it allows uploads unless you do something like renaming the file extensions.

I don't think either iriver, sandisk, or CL requires extra software.

Maybe some reviews at circuitcity or amazon will point you in the right direction.
Old 01-15-05, 07:09 PM
Retired

I decided to pass on the Sandisk player. Too many reviews mentioned sound problems, and I checked it out in person and it seems pretty flimsy.

It seems like for quality the iRiver players and the Creative MuVo players are the best. They're too price for me though.

I'm leaning toward just getting a 512 Shuffle now, but I'm hesistant as I'd really like to have a screen and regular battery.
Old 01-15-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
I think the new sony flash drives will still require the use of sonicstage (I hate that thing). But I think the 1gb has 70 hours from just one aaa battery. If you can tolerate sonicstage then I'd go for the sony player.
Sonic Stage is much improved and actually does album listings better than iTunes IMO. Overal though it is still inferior to iTunes. However, I use it daily and don't really have any major issues with it anymore.

Just to note that these new flash Sony players fully support MP3 now and you don't have to convert it to Atrac to put them on your player. You probably still have to load them on with Sonic Stage though. If you are ripping CDs though you will want to rip to Atrac as that is what gives you that outstanding battery life. The battery life drops a bit from the 70 hour mark when using MP3s.

Battery life is one of the real strengths of Sonys flash, HDD and Minidisc walkmans.
Old 01-15-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
iRivers are all drag and drop but $$$
Old 01-15-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the MuVo TX FM 512, it's got the best feature set and price, IMO.
Old 01-16-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seems like for quality the iRiver players and the Creative MuVo players are the best. They're too price for me though.

I'm leaning toward just getting a 512 Shuffle now, but I'm hesistant as I'd really like to have a screen and regular battery.
The 512 MuVo TX FM I got was 119 at Newegg, 124 with shipping:http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-134&depa=0

With the Muvo you're spending about 15 bucks more to get a screen, AAA-based power system, mass storage for MP3s (the Shuffle requires iTunes for music, but not for other files), an FM radio, an EQ, a included armband (the Apple one is $30) etc in a smaller player. I spend 15 bucks at lunch some days.
Old 01-16-05, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ShoeBoy
Hey, I posted that picture at Amazon.

Link to item:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../-/B0001FV364/
Old 01-16-05, 11:05 AM
Retired

Thanks Hiro. My issue, as I mentioned in the apple thread, is that I have GCs to Best Buy (which doesn't carry MuVos) and CC I want to use on a flash player. I'm keeping an eye at CC for the time being, as at the moment the cheapest MuVo there is 139.99 for a 512. So that's $40 more than the shuffle, and only $10 less than the 1GB shuffle so I just can't pull the trigger at that price. I'm hoping when the shuffle launches we'll see a price drop (or at least some sales) on MuVo or iRiver players.
Old 01-16-05, 11:38 AM
Retired

Ok, CC had the 512 MuVo micro for 125.99 and I bit and ordered it for in store pick up, using my $55 in GCs.

I can handle $25 more than the shuffle for AAA power, screen, FM and recording.
Old 01-16-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
How is the Muvo at recording?
Old 01-16-05, 10:42 PM
Retired

Haven't checked that out yet (or much of anything). It has a mic to record and also has a line in so you can hook it up to a CD player and record stuff directly as MP3's.

I'll post some impressions when I get a chance.

It's definitely a nice player, super small (even smaller than the Shuffle), light, and sleek looking (got a shiny black one). It's the MuVo N200 512 MB.
Old 01-17-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

crap, at first i thought you mean Macromedia flash based.
*sigh* i'm a big dork
Old 01-17-05, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

mushkin is having a closeout sale on mp3 usb drives. I got a 128 MB one for $25 shipped.

http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushki...ct/View/991151
Old 01-17-05, 08:43 AM

Ok, CC had the 512 MuVo micro for 125.99 and I bit and ordered it for in store pick up, using my $55 in GCs.

I can handle $25 more than the shuffle for AAA power, screen, FM and recording.
I think you'll find it was worth the investment. After you're done setting up check out this site , there's some pretty good apps available if you don't like what comes with the
player.
Old 01-17-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoQuEr
mushkin is having a closeout sale on mp3 usb drives. I got a 128 MB one for $25 shipped.

http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushki...ct/View/991151
I'm not seeing these on sale - they look like they're regular prices.
Old 01-17-05, 01:29 PM
Retired

The software that comes with the player sucks. I had a hell of a time getting it to read the tag information right, then once I did it won't let me drag and drop to the player in the program anymore (was working before), just gets errors all the time. I wanted to use this as the software has smart playlists and you can make a random one, and drag it over and basically accomplish the same thing as the shuffle.

Oh well. The 12mp3 program I linked above seems to work, but it will only put around 5 songs each time you select fill randomly. I'm gussing this is a limitation of the shareware, and would be solved by paying the $10 to register and unlock the full version. But the help file doesn't say so specifically so I"m going to look around for something else first, and shoot them an e-mail making sure registering will fix this before paying if I decide to go with it.
Old 01-17-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The software that comes with the player sucks. I had a hell of a time getting it to read the tag information right, then once I did it won't let me drag and drop to the player in the program anymore (was working before), just gets errors all the time. I wanted to use this as the software has smart playlists and you can make a random one, and drag it over and basically accomplish the same thing as the shuffle.

Oh well. The 12mp3 program I linked above seems to work, but it will only put around 5 songs each time you select fill randomly. I'm gussing this is a limitation of the shareware, and would be solved by paying the $10 to register and unlock the full version. But the help file doesn't say so specifically so I"m going to look around for something else first, and shoot them an e-mail making sure registering will fix this before paying if I decide to go with it.
I just do drag and drop on mine. Seems easiest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.