Reload this Page >

I'm having networking problems.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-09-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Primarily wireless networking problems. From my laptop, I haven't been able to access my desktop machine or the Internet for a few days now (both are done through a router). The laptop can see that a wireless network exists, and when I ask it to connect, it does (or it claims to anyway). Packets get sent, but are never received. I've tried another wireless PC card, but it all works the same way.

On the desktop machine--which is wired to the router--I can't see the laptop, but I can usually get to the Internet. When accessing the Internet, though, I often get time-outs and "can't connect" messages.

So I'm thinking the router has gone bad. I've tried resetting it, but that didn't make a difference. Can anybody help confirm my suspicion?
Old 12-10-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody?
Old 12-10-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What brand of Router is it? Do you have any 2.4ghz phones in the house? There are many things that can interfere with wireless signals. You might want to change the channel on your router to see if that helps.
Old 12-10-04, 09:23 PM
toq

Can you ping the router at all from your laptop? How about from your desktop?
Old 12-11-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a D-Link router. No 2.4GHz phones, though a neighbor could have gotten one (I live in an apartment). I've tried moving the laptop and router around, though, and not had success. Changing channels didn't make a difference. I can ping the router from the desktop, though not from the laptop.

Edit: from within the router setup, the laptop doesn't appear connected to the router.

Last edited by danw; 12-11-04 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-11-04, 04:55 PM
toq

It's pretty obvious that the wireless NIC is having problems establishing a connection to the router. You've taken the next step of trying all the different channels on the router already. Are you currently running the latest firmware on the router? How about the latest drivers for the wireless NIC?
Old 12-11-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, running the latest firmware and drivers.

I ran out to CompUSA and picked up the $9.99 Belkin router they had on sale today. Everything works fine now. I'll toy with the D-Link router a bit more, but it seems to me that something about it is fried.
Old 12-11-04, 06:16 PM
toq

I'm probably going to have to chalk it up to a recent acquisition of a 2.4Ghz phone by one of your neighbors. A friend had similar problems with his wireless network until he swapped it out with a different model, as you did, and—as you've noticed—quickly resolved the problem. I'm certainly not ruling out the possibilty of a fried router, however.
Old 12-11-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
do you have norton's firewall by chance?
I saw a thread at another forum where suddenly a person couldn't access the internet. disabled norton and everything was fine. and they hadn't made any changes to norton between when it worked and didn't
Old 12-17-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried my D-Link router at work and it worked just fine, so I'm guessing toq is right--a new 2.4 GHz phone is in use by a neighbor.

But as of today my new Belkin router has the exact same problem. Grr.