Reload this Page >

DVD-Rs all they are cracked up to be?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-04-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a good small collection of DVD-Rs, mainly of TV shows not on regular DVD that I wanted to keep a copy of. Anyway, I haven't had the discs for hardly a year yet and none of them play any more. At best, I can get half way through one disc before it starts to pixelate and break up and if I skip ahead in the chapters, it gets to the place on the DVD where it can't read it at all and makes a horrible noise in my DVD player. And it's not scratches or anything like that, as I store them exactly with the same type of care I store my regular DVDs in. I can't see any blemishes on the DVD-Rs either, they just gave way to "rot."

So far I have held off on buying a DVD recorder myself, but at this point, I just cannot see the value of owning one. The worst cases are where the DVD just won't play at all and I get a "DISK ERROR MAJOR-REPLACE ME" on my Malata DVD player. Is this just the most worthless format?

And as for brands, they are all name brand DVD-Rs, no generic or cheap kind used.
Old 12-04-04, 02:52 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember when CD-Rs first came out... the general compatibility sucked! I usually have to try multiple drives to get one type of media to work... but as the years passed, the problem seems to have gone away... I think a big portion of it is just hardware compatibilty with media... which may not make sense completely. I use the same media Riteks or something and generally they work out fine, but ocassionaly a DVD-R won't work in one drive but will work in another. Anyways.

I find that they are useful for optical back-ups. Using a stack of DVD-R/Ws sure as hell beats using a stack of CD-R/Ws.
Old 12-04-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Please tell us the brand of media you purchased. There are many many different kinds of DVD media out there, ranging from outright wonderful and reliable to outright retarded.
Old 12-04-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Please tell us the brand of media you purchased. There are many many different kinds of DVD media out there, ranging from outright wonderful and reliable to outright retarded.
I want to say TDK. A friend made the DVDs for me, and I don't have a burner myself (and am not even contemplating buying one at this point in time because of the problems I have had with the discs). I know he's very picky about the computer equipment he uses, from the hard ware to the software, and is very faithful to name brands that are on the reliable side. I will have to double check, though.
Old 12-08-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Maxwell brand DVD+R. I would also like to point out that these have played just fine in my DVD player before, and the same problems are experienced on my computer's DVD-ROM drive.
Old 12-08-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, are they DVD+R or DVD-R ??? You've mentioned both. Maybe some are + & some - that he has made. Are you sure that your Malata DVD Player will support both formats? Which model is your DVD Player?

Never heard of maxwell brand... maybe maxell??

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 12-08-04 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-09-04, 01:01 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be waiting a while before I get a DVD burner, seems like there a few bugs that have to be ironed out.
Old 12-09-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All burners and media aren't the same. My money is well spent on my Plextor DVD burner. Burns any media I've tried and they play on everything that it is compatible with. Never had a problem with it.

Please post the burner and media used. Maybe we can suggest something different to help you out.

Also, Sonicflood brings up a good point. All DVD players don't support both formats (+R & -R) Most only support one or the other. Check out DVDr Help for all the info you will ever need.
Old 12-10-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are + and maxells.

And the point is these have played flawlessly in my players before and now they pixelate and freeze up after only a few months of sitting on my shelf. It's like they have deteriorated over time.
Old 12-10-04, 09:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
You don't have paper labels on them do you?
Old 12-13-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by X
You don't have paper labels on them do you?
Is that bad? I had some cd-r's go start to pixelate after 6 months or so and they had paper labels.
Old 12-13-04, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got about 300 burned DVD-R's and +R's and I've never had a problem.
Old 12-13-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've had burned dvd-R discs that are over a year old and they still play just fine. they are ritek brands tho. i guess i'll be staying away from maxells...
Old 12-13-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Absolutely no problems here. Used TDK and Maxell. Lite-On DVD-DL burner. Love it.
Old 12-18-04, 02:06 PM

The made in japan maxells are some of the best you can buy. I use them for archiving. However some maxell cases say made in taiwan.
Old 12-18-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by garyb
The made in japan maxells are some of the best you can buy. I use them for archiving. However some maxell cases say made in taiwan.

Any discs made in Japan are the best. I just picked up some Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs. They are supposed to be the best of the best.
Old 12-18-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had very mixed results with a variety of media. Taiyo Yuden's do seem pretty good, and they're relatively cheap as well. The cheapo no-name discs aren't worth crap, about 75% of my burns have been bad with them. I think it's more about the media quality than player compatability (although that plays a role). Get good media and you won't have a problem.
Old 12-18-04, 04:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Any discs made in Japan are the best. I just picked up some Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs. They are supposed to be the best of the best.
It really depends on the compatibility with the burner. I've had TYs from Japan consistently give me the worst burns I've ever seen with both an NEC and a Lite-on burner, both older models, and best I've ever seen with the latest models of those two brands of burners. It may be the writing strategies programmed into their firmware, I'm not sure.

I consistently get great results with RICOHJPNR01 (+R) media, whether marketed by Ritek, TDK, TY (Taiwan), etc.
Old 12-19-04, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fok
I'll be waiting a while before I get a DVD burner, seems like there a few bugs that have to be ironed out.
I have a pioneer a04 and have never had any issues.
Old 12-19-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by X
It really depends on the compatibility with the burner. I've had TYs from Japan consistently give me the worst burns I've ever seen with both an NEC and a Lite-on burner, both older models, and best I've ever seen with the latest models of those two brands of burners. It may be the writing strategies programmed into their firmware, I'm not sure.
Yes, that's true, the burner is the other part of the combination that is important. I use a newer Pioneer burner that has worked flawlessly with several different brands (I've never tried a no-name cheapo blank disc yet, though). The main thing I'm concerned about is the longitivity of the burned disc. If you try to burn something, and it's a bad burn for whatever reason, you can always try again with a different disc. I'm worried about burning something, and then a year or two later, I try to play the disc and it has deteriorated. It would suck after I spent a lot of time transferring video, editing, etc. and then I find out a year later that I did all that work for nothing (as it would no longer still be on my hard drive). That's why I'm trying to learn about the types of discs that have the best reputation for lifespan (of course, it's still a relatively new technology, so maybe it's a little early to make judgments about this now).
Old 12-19-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts
I assume he burned these at different times, and more than likely with different batches of discs. I don't see them all going bad at the same time. Have you cleaned your dvd player lately?
Old 12-20-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried to check and see if mine were all they were cracked up to be and I'll be damned if I didn't crack it.
Old 12-20-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can you burn DVD's that are 4.7 gib on a Dual Layer writer?
Old 12-21-04, 01:37 AM
toq

Originally Posted by edytwinky
Can you burn DVD's that are 4.7 gib on a Dual Layer writer?
Yes, you should be able to.