Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Diagnose my PC. Fresh format, and programs crashing already!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-23-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got fed up with my PC lately, and remembering how I used to leave the computer on for days without seeing a BSOD or a program crash, I decided to format the boot drive and reinstall windows XP Pro.

All I have done is download and install drivers, as well as opera and winamp, and it has begun already. Both IE and opera have crashed doing random things, and when I tried, the problem wasn't repeatable.

What is my most likely culprit?
Memory?
Heat?
bad power source?

what can I use to diagnose this?

Several drivers gave me the "Danger don't install non plug n play devices on win xp", but what else was i supposed to do? The manufacturers website says the drivers were for XP, and I know I need them. Could they be causing this?
Old 11-23-04, 10:14 AM

You should try and check out the HCL (hardware compatibility list) for XP. This is a website from Microsoft showing which hardware will work on XP. Other hardware might work, but is not guaranteed. Most likely one of your components is not on the HCL, and that might be the culprit: http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/

There is of course the risk of memory problems, overheating and other as well, which might be hard to diagnose.

Edit: apparently the HCL is called the "Windows catalog" as from XP onwards. The concept is exactly the same as I outlined above.

Last edited by LolaRennt; 11-23-04 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-24-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To see if bad memory could be the problem, you can try Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

What devices gave you that error message?

This is probably a stupid question, but have you been on the Internet without a firewall by chance? There could be a worm that's infected your computer. Check to see what processes are running.