Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Tricky Excel questions for the experts!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-21-04, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a spreadsheet that I working on that I have incorporated a drop down list of all countries into. The drop down list is in a cell in Sheet1. The list itself is taken from a range (named Countries) on Sheet2. Also on Sheet2 is a list of ISO-agreed country codes, appearing in the next column along and corresponding to the correct country.

My questions are:

1) Is there any way that the drop down list can operatie in a predictive manner? I.e., instead of me having to click the arrow, then scroll all the way down to Sweden, can I type S in the cell and the box will automatically remove any country not beginning with S from my choices, and then if I type "Sw" it narrows it down to the three countries that begin with Sw?

2) Secondly, when the user has chosed Sweden, I want another cell to display the internationally recognised country code. I actually want it to display it as part of a series of other things, but I think I have got my head around the Concatenate function to be able to incorporate whatever the solution is into my cell.

3) Lastly (for now) I have spent the last few hours working on this project for work, and I'd like to protect my time and effort, so is there any good way of hiding and protecting my formulae so people can't alter it or strip it and use it as their own?

Thanks for any help

Mark
Old 11-22-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Use Filters
2. Use IF statements
3. Hide columns and there might be a way to hide with password protect