Reload this Page >

File location for Netscape navigator?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-21-04, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

A friend of mine gave me his computer which he royally *****ed up. Now he wants me to restore everything. "Just make it work" he said. Nice. Thanks.

I cannot boot in the system anymore. I did backup the entire harddisk by connecting the disk to my machine directly, and copy everything, so hopefully not too much is lost.

He is using netscape navigator as an email client. I do not know anything about this program. Where does this program store the emails locally on the harddisk? Could anybody help me with this?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-04, 02:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe it has always been under Program Files\Netscape\{username}\Mail
Old 11-21-04, 03:05 PM

Hi X,

Thanks, but I am afraid that my friend changed the default location where he saves the emails. Needless to say, he doesn't remember where that location is... Is there any way to find that out? What is the extention of the file Netscape saves under (like a *.pst for outlook).

I am so frustrated with this computer, so sorry if my email sounds angry. Thank you all so much for your help!
Old 11-21-04, 03:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Look for .snm extensions.
Old 11-22-04, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by X
Look for .snm extensions.
My God. I found them. For those who are having similar issues, you can find those .snm files in the following directory:

c:\document and settings\$username$\application data\mozilla\"random directory name"\$username$\mail\

Now that's intuitive! Note that Application Data is a hidden directory, that the $username$ appears twice in that path, and that there seems to be some "random directory name" in the path as well.

Thanks X, you saved me a lot of pain.