Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Minidisc (ATRAC3) to Redbook Audio Format? HELP!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-21-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVDtalkers-

My wife is a musician, and just got a new Minidisc recorder. She wants to put her recorded files onto a standard audio CDR, which she also just got (good week for her).

However, the software that came with the hardware does not seem to allow this. Neither of us have really tried to even burn a CD before- HELP!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thikn we can covnert these files to MP3 pretty easily, so I guess we are looking for reccomendations on free software which can burn Redbook Audio format.

Of course, if anyone still has information on the first question, by all means, please enlighten us.

I knew I'd join the 21st century someday...
Old 11-21-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

redbook audio format? Never heard of that.

Did she record the files using the minidisc recorder? If so, I don't think there is a way to transfer the files to the computer to burn a standard CD. I only can think that it could be done by manually connecting the minidisc sound out (headphone jack) to the computer's line in audio jack, and use a software recorder (I love TotalRecorder) to record in real time (such as recording a hour long concert will take an hour to record on your computer) then convert the source to the audio format you want, and finally burn the CD.
Old 11-21-04, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, that was what we were just talking about.

Redbook Audio is CDA is basically a what the CDs you buy in the store are. She has to send them out to people who wouldn't necessarily be able to play MP3s in their player, so she wanted to play it safe.

Thanks, again.

If anyone else has input, please keep it coming.
Old 11-21-04, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on what kind of Minidisc player it is. If it is one of the new Hi-MD models you can upload your recorded files to the PC and Sony has a program to convert your recorded files to wav files to make CDs. Note that uploading is limited to the new Atrac3plus format and PCM files. Only the new Hi-MD players can record in these formats and you need one of the 1GB Hi-MD discs to record in PCM since it is uncompressed, but will give you flawless sound quality.

If it is one of the older models or recorded in the older Atrac or Atrac3 formats you can not upload the files to a PC. The only way around this that I know of is to play the recorded files through the sound card and rerecord them in real time on the PC.

Last edited by darkside; 11-21-04 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-21-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome. We have the Hi-MD recorder. We just need the decoder program from Sony.

I will go a-searchin.

If you know where it is, please nudge.
Old 11-21-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, having hi-md might help. Maybe this thread will point you in the right direction:
http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic...5fb48c17476c47
Old 11-21-04, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That last link was good- got an .OMG converted to .WAV

Thanks again!

Oh, one more dumb question before I waste a CD. Do I have to convert the .wav to another format, or can I just choose to "Make an audio CD" or "Make a WMA CD" on Nero?
Old 11-21-04, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

worked great, thanks guys for the help

Now I don't have to listen to the wife continue to ask why the programs which came with the hardware allowed her to copy any CD in the house, but refused to let he make a CD of her talking into a microphone because of "copyright infringements."
Old 11-21-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrKen
That last link was good- got an .OMG converted to .WAV

Thanks again!

Oh, one more dumb question before I waste a CD. Do I have to convert the .wav to another format, or can I just choose to "Make an audio CD" or "Make a WMA CD" on Nero?
Looks like you got it working but your burner hardware does the conversion:
WAV <--> Redbook Audio

WAV is the full sound data without the extra error correction
that is part of Redbook format, and is the representation a computer uses (compressionless). Then the WAV is converted to anything else by "ripping."
Old 11-21-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrKen
worked great, thanks guys for the help

Now I don't have to listen to the wife continue to ask why the programs which came with the hardware allowed her to copy any CD in the house, but refused to let he make a CD of her talking into a microphone because of "copyright infringements."
Glad you got it working. Being able to upload your own recordings is one of the really nice things about Hi-MD. I just purchased a NH900 myself.
Old 11-22-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is this what you want?
http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/walkmanmc/wav.html