Reload this Page >

Best portable music device?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-20-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there are already threads, I apologize (and please point me in the right direction!)

I am getting tired of swapping out CDs for work and travel, and want a portable device. Ipods look good, but I'm wondering if there are better / better bang for the buck. I have around 500 CDs, and I'd like to get at least 200 of them digitized.

Advice?
Old 11-21-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get the iPod 4G 40 GB. It seems overpirced, but once you use it, you will realize it is worth every penny.

I would buy and HP iPod instead of Apple because you will get much, much better tech support.
Old 11-21-04, 10:31 AM
Retired

I got a 15GB Dell DJ recently, and love it. iPod's are way overpriced IMO, so I didn't even consider them.

I have about 220 cd's (a little over 3000 songs) on mine and still have 3GB free, so it suits my needs.

They also make a 20GB model.
Old 11-21-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Ipods are cool, but way overpriced. I like the Dell and Rio Karma.
Old 11-21-04, 11:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Best portable music device?

Originally posted by DVD Josh
If there are already threads, I apologize (and please point me in the right direction!)
Old 11-21-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, do a search, then buy an iPod.
Old 11-21-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ipod's are great and worth every penny. I just bought a 40GB model this week.

MP3's are old technology. The codec was written almost ten years ago and the goal was to save space and not for sound quality. Ipod's support Dolby AAC which sounds a lot better than MP3's.

And Ipod's have Itunes if you want to buy one song instead of an entire album.
Old 11-21-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will other mp3 players play songs from iTunes? I've noticed that WinAmp doesn't seem to like the few free songs I've downloaded from them.
Old 11-21-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bdshort
Will other mp3 players play songs from iTunes?
Short answer: no.

Long answer: nope.
Old 11-22-04, 01:13 PM
Retired

Actually, the long answer is yes.

You can buy the I-tunes songs/albums, burn them to a CD in cd audio format in I-tunes, then rip the CD you burned into MP3's in I-tunes or any other ripping program.

It's a hassle to be sure, but it works with no sound quality loss that I can detect.

I don't bother as I'd never buy a whole album electronically. I don't see the point in paying $9.99 for an electronic album when I can just go to Best Buy or Circuit City on release week and get if for the same price or a couple bucks more and have the physical cd, liner notes etc. and just rip it into MP3s.

Thus I just buy and MP3 here and there from other places when I don't like the album enough to buy (i.e. one hit wonder songs).
Old 11-22-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is an iPod worth half the price? It's an honest question. I have around $150 in unused cash back bonus from Discover Card and Sharper Image will double that. They sell iPods for around $300 (the 20G one, I think). So, is the 20G iPod worth about $150?
Old 11-22-04, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Actually, the long answer is yes.

You can buy the I-tunes songs/albums, burn them to a CD in cd audio format in I-tunes, then rip the CD you burned into MP3's in I-tunes or any other ripping program.

It's a hassle to be sure, but it works with no sound quality loss that I can detect.
It's also a bit of a waste of a CD as well as your time. Just go find a copy of jHymn and use that instead. It'll convert the purchased music to a normal AAC which you can then convert directly, without burning.

It doesn't remove all the protection though. It'll leave your account name in the resulting file, so you can't use this to enable filesharing. It's for fair use purposes only.
Old 11-22-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by garolo
Is an iPod worth half the price? It's an honest question. I have around $150 in unused cash back bonus from Discover Card and Sharper Image will double that. They sell iPods for around $300 (the 20G one, I think). So, is the 20G iPod worth about $150?
Without a doubt!
Old 11-22-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Otto
It's also a bit of a waste of a CD as well as your time. Just go find a copy of jHymn and use that instead. It'll convert the purchased music to a normal AAC which you can then convert directly, without burning.

It doesn't remove all the protection though. It'll leave your account name in the resulting file, so you can't use this to enable filesharing. It's for fair use purposes only.
Do you think its possible that Apple will release an Itunes update that disables the playing of stripped Itunes Music store songs?

Although, I figure that the files still would be able to be used in other players such as Real and Foobar anyway.
Old 11-22-04, 02:11 PM
Retired

I believe you can use a CD-RW to copy the files to and then re-rip them, but I haven't tried it personally.

I wasn't aware there was a program that would convert them, but I think I'd rather do the CD thing just to get all the info off of them.

Though, as I said I just boycott I-tunes and get songs elsewhere because of the limitations.

The I-Pod is worth $150, but if you can use that reward money elsewhere, I'd still look in to the dell and other options as you could probably get a 15GB for free and or a 20GB for around $50 after using your points, which is a much better deal obviously.

The I-pods look nicer and a have a slightly more intuitive interface (I borrowed a friends for a couple weeks before deciding on the Dell DJ) but that just didn't justfiy the cost to me.

Some say they sound better than the competition. I'm not an audiophile and couldn't tell a difference personally. Plus I think a lot of the staunch support of I-pods is just from "fanboys." I think there's a trend with these like you see with video game consoles where some people want to convince others that whichever one they own is the best out there.
Old 11-22-04, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ranger
Do you think its possible that Apple will release an Itunes update that disables the playing of stripped Itunes Music store songs?
Apple has already done this once, with the release of iTunes 4.6. They fixed Hymn to eliminate the problem within a day, as well as created a new tool/script to correct existing converted files.

I wasn't aware there was a program that would convert them, but I think I'd rather do the CD thing just to get all the info off of them.
Doing the CD thing *loses* all the info. You have to retag the newly ripped file by hand after you rip the burned CD.

Using Hymn or jHymn or any of the variants out there preserves all the tag info, album art, etc.
Old 11-22-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Every Friday the Fry's ad runs two ads side by side:

20GB iPod $299
30GB Creative Nomad Zen $199

10 more gigs for $100 less? No brainer.
Old 11-22-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The I-Pod is worth $150, but if you can use that reward money elsewhere, I'd still look in to the dell and other options as you could probably get a 15GB for free and or a 20GB for around $50 after using your points, which is a much better deal obviously.

The I-pods look nicer and a have a slightly more intuitive interface (I borrowed a friends for a couple weeks before deciding on the Dell DJ) but that just didn't justfiy the cost to me.

Dell is no longer part of the cash back bonus partner program at Discover. The Dell would cost $100 out of pocket for basically the same functionality and specs.
The iPod is $0 out of pocket. I think my decision is made.
Old 11-22-04, 02:37 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by garolo
This might drop the price a bit and seal the deal:

http://www.sharperimagesavings.com/bb/
Old 11-22-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by HN
This might drop the price a bit and seal the deal:

http://www.sharperimagesavings.com/bb/
Sold. That will cover the shipping and some of the tax.

Thanks, HN.

edit: even better. I just noticed that it will be accepted in store. That covers the tax and puts $2 in my pocket.
Old 11-22-04, 03:44 PM
Retired

Doing the CD thing *loses* all the info. You have to retag the newly ripped file by hand after you rip the burned CD.

Using Hymn or jHymn or any of the variants out there preserves all the tag info, album art, etc.
Really? I-tunes just automatically tagged my songs, with the song track, album and artist info just like it does every cd I rip. I didn't have to do anything by hand.

Unless there's some kind of more formal tagging than that, that I'm not aware of, nor have any need for since I just play by albums and/or artist on my DJ. I'm not big on mixed play lists, I just use it to have my whole cd collection in my pocket.
Old 11-22-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I shouldn't care, but it's "iTunes" and "iPod," not "I-tunes" and "I-pod."
Old 11-22-04, 04:09 PM
Banned

Really? I-tunes just automatically tagged my songs, with the song track, album and artist info just like it does every cd I rip. I didn't have to do anything by hand.

Unless there's some kind of more formal tagging than that, that I'm not aware of, nor have any need for since I just play by albums and/or artist on my DJ. I'm not big on mixed play lists, I just use it to have my whole cd collection in my pocket.
If you burn the whole album, exactly as the original album is, then yeah, it should be able to get the songnames and such from Gracenote. But not all the rest of the data, and not the album art.

But that *only* works when you burn the whole album. Burn a bunch of one shot tracks in a mixed order and try to rerip them, and it won't be able get the tracknames or anything.
Old 11-22-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Kal-El
Every Friday the Fry's ad runs two ads side by side:

20GB iPod $299
30GB Creative Nomad Zen $199

10 more gigs for $100 less? No brainer.
Ipod's AAC sounds a lot better than the Zen's MP3. Even on headphones MP3's don't sound that good at 128kbps. And I'll take Itunes over Microsoft's music store any day.
Old 11-22-04, 04:22 PM
Retired

But that *only* works when you burn the whole album. Burn a bunch of one shot tracks in a mixed order and try to rerip them, and it won't be able get the tracknames or anything.

I downloaded 4 songs from Itunes before I found out they wouldn't play on my player, all 4 were by different artists and on different albums.

It got the track info fine when I re-ripped them. Perhaps it put the info on the cd as cd text since it already had all the info in the AAC file? That or it just had no problems getting the info from gracenote.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.