Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Podcasting

Old 11-20-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Podcasting

Has anybody picked up on this yet? From what I understand, it's very similar to blogging except for the iPods. This is an awesome concept for commuters.

I forsee the product where I can download news bites in 20 minute increments to my iPod and listen to it on the way to work.

So where do I go to find this software, and who has jumped on the Podcasting bandwagon?
Old 11-20-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's no software to pick up, as far as I know. You just go to whatever site that hosts the MP3 file of the "Podcast."

I, personally, think it's a bit too early to refer to every MP3 application as Pod-this or Pod-that. It's not quite at the Kleenex or Band-Aid level. But it's not like I have a better name for this or anything. I'm probably just one of those bitter non-iPod owners you read about.

Engadget is one example of a cool site that has a weekly Podcast. Example.
Old 11-21-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is too software. That's what makes it different than just downloading mp3s. Get this... http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/

Then you either go through their directory to find something you want or enter an RSS2.0 URL dircetly. For instance, I'm going to do 1 so if you wanted mine you'd put in http://www.7sworld.com/rss.xml then you either program in up to 4 times a day to check all the feeds or to just do it every 12 hours or whatever you want.

Once you've subscribed to a feed the mp3's will download automatically and be added into either iTunes (for Mac) or WMP(for windows) and then sync to your device the next time you sync.

Personally, I think it's really cool. My favorites are Dave Slushers Evil Genious Chronicles and the aforementioned Engadge and Adam Curry's Daily Source Code.

BTW "podcast" is a misnomer as you don't have to have an Ipod. Personally, my Ipodder software gets my subscriptions and the go into an AutoPlaylist in WMP10 which then syncs to my cell phone which is what I listen to them on.

Old 01-19-05, 07:35 PM
Registered

We're going to probably do this for DVD Talk....

I'd love feedback on our test feed:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/radio/dvdtalkradio011905.mp3

- G
Old 01-20-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If DVDTalk is going to do it, I'm in. I tried ipodder out several times and could never find anything I was both interested in and didn't sound like a grade-school production.
Old 01-20-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new mayor of Portland has been officially renamed to Tom iPodder.
Old 01-20-05, 10:53 AM
Banned

I tried some of these feeds, but based on what I heard, I didn't much see the point. It's like amature hour for radio on a lot of these. Not particularly interesting. Leo Laporte's feed was not bad though, but I get enough tech news reading /. and such. I can see if you had a long commute to work in the morning, however. Give you something to listen to on the way there.
Old 01-20-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why don't you just use Winamp/Streamripper on a Streamcast radio station? Chop it up into managable bites and go.
Old 01-20-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Why don't you just use Winamp/Streamripper on a Streamcast radio station? Chop it up into managable bites and go.
One of the best parts of podcasting is "set and forget". You schedule what you want and it will automatically download on a daily basis and automatically add to iTunes. When you synch, new content is there without having to do anything.
Old 01-21-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seven
There is too software. That's what makes it different than just downloading mp3s. Get this... http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/

Then you either go through their directory to find something you want or enter an RSS2.0 URL dircetly. For instance, I'm going to do 1 so if you wanted mine you'd put in http://www.7sworld.com/rss.xml then you either program in up to 4 times a day to check all the feeds or to just do it every 12 hours or whatever you want.

Once you've subscribed to a feed the mp3's will download automatically and be added into either iTunes (for Mac) or WMP(for windows) and then sync to your device the next time you sync.

Personally, I think it's really cool. My favorites are Dave Slushers Evil Genious Chronicles and the aforementioned Engadge and Adam Curry's Daily Source Code.

BTW "podcast" is a misnomer as you don't have to have an Ipod. Personally, my Ipodder software gets my subscriptions and the go into an AutoPlaylist in WMP10 which then syncs to my cell phone which is what I listen to them on.

So you have to user WMP for windows, or can it add to iTunes on Windows as well?
Old 03-20-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have any of the major news organizations jumped on the Podcasting bandwagon?
Old 03-21-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Have any of the major news organizations jumped on the Podcasting bandwagon?
kcrw.com does (which is the los angeles' local station for NPR) and they do have alot of their stuff podcasted.
Old 03-21-05, 02:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Do a google search for podcasting.
Old 03-21-05, 02:03 PM

You guys who are Battlestar Galactica fans must know about Ron Moore's "podcasts" of commentaries for BSG episodes, right?

They're here: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/.

Cool idea.

RichC