Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Heads Up - Ipod Owners - New Updater (Mini and 4th G)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-19-04, 04:08 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New updater out for mini and 4th G (click wheel ipod)

From Apple:
Pod Updater 2004-11-15 includes iPod mini Software 1.2 for iPod mini and iPod Software 3.0.2 for Click Wheel iPod. iPod Updater 2004-11-15 also contains the same iPod software included in iPod Updater 2004-10-20 for all other iPod models.

Download and install the iPod Updater 2004-11-15 then connect your iPod, iPod photo or iPod mini to your computer. The iPod Updater will automatically determine if an update is required.

New Updates for iPod mini

* Compatibility with iTunes 4.7 and the iTunes Music Store
* Create multiple On-The-Go playlists
* Shuffle and play song library with one click
* Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists

* Select reading playback speed for audiobooks
* Hear Click Wheel clicker through headphones
* Sync and go with improved disconnect performance

New Updates for Click Wheel iPods

* Compatibility with iTunes 4.7 and the iTunes Music Store
* Improved USB 2.0 connectivity
Multiple on-the-gos and being able to delete songs from them from the mini itself -- finally!
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

Last edited by HN; 11-19-04 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-19-04, 04:52 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'd rock if Apple came out with a firmware update that will improve battery life for the mini ...
Old 11-19-04, 05:26 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

played around with new on-the-go features (mini) :

-adding and removing songs was fine

-saving on-the-go playlist was fine (new playlist name is "New Playlist #" (# being 1, 2, etc.).

-once you've saved that playlist, it's now like any other normal playlist (but not really, see next) in that you can no longer add or remove songs from that list via the ipod itself

-now the stickler - when you plug in to charge it's fine. however, if you then open itunes* or ephpod* (maybe any program that has the ability to modify the database?) the newly saved on-the-go playlist did not show up in the programs. huh...that was weird, so, unplugged the ipod and *bam* that saved on-the-go playlist is gone (though your normally created ones are still intact). did it all again (saved new OTG playlist, plugged in, ran itunes, didn't see the playlist, unplugged, playlist gone).

*itunes 4.6 and ephpod 2.75.

Last edited by HN; 11-19-04 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-19-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

shuffle with one click --
Old 11-19-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It would be nice to have an easy way to turn shuffle on/off for the 4g's
Old 11-19-04, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by HN
-now the stickler - when you plug in to charge it's fine. however, if you then open itunes* or ephpod* (maybe any program that has the ability to modify the database?) the newly saved on-the-go playlist did not show up in the programs. huh...that was weird, so, unplugged the ipod and *bam* that saved on-the-go playlist is gone (though your normally created ones are still intact). did it all again (saved new OTG playlist, plugged in, ran itunes, didn't see the playlist, unplugged, playlist gone).

*itunes 4.6 and ephpod 2.75.
iTunes 4.7 adds support for multiple OTG playlists, I think. And I would avoid EphPod entirely, as it writes a very fruity database on the iPod that can cause issues with the iPod and iTunes.

Also, iTunes 4.7 has a bunch of other stuff in it that make it worth installing anyway.

And yes, any program that doesn't convert the saved OTGPlaylist files to normal playlists will cause it to lose those playlists after you change the contents of the iPod. The OTGPlaylist files are linked by index number in the database, and become invalid after a sync. So the iPod will erase them itself, if they're still there when the iTunesDB file changes.
Old 11-19-04, 01:04 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Otto

Also, iTunes 4.7 has a bunch of other stuff in it that make it worth installing anyway.
Cool, guess this gives me a reason to bump up to 4.7. As long as the saved OTG playlist stays intact, i'm good to go when i go on the go.
Old 11-19-04, 02:07 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys for the discussion. Guess I'll be updating iTunes as well.
Old 11-19-04, 02:13 PM
Banned

The big stuff in iTunes 4.7:
- Lot of new scripting support. So if you are using scripts with iTunes or using any program which integrates with iTunes, this version may be required in the future.
- Fix to the AAC encoder that got broken in iTunes 4.5 and 4.6. It was adding weird artifacts above 16 khz for some reason. That's fixed.
- Fix to the Apple Lossless encoder that makes it actually lossless. It was dropping samples at the end of tracks for no obvious reason. Now it'll produce exact results, as a lossless encoder should.
- Show Duplicate Songs functionality, which is quite useful to help weed out your library.

Probably some other stuff that I don't use much are in there too.
Old 11-19-04, 09:57 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I don't know if the update caused this, but I'm having a problem with my 4G 40 gig iPod after the update.

I went to shuffle songs in the main menu and it was playing for a while while I was driving. I had a belkin car adapter plugged into the dock port to charge and power it while I drive.

I have a problem where now, when I press the menu button, it doesn't do anything.
The volume works when I "rotate" the click wheel and I can go backwards and forwards between songs. Holding down the menu button turns on or off the backlight. And pressing the play/pause button plays or pauses. The center button switches between 2 position icons and the star rating viewer.

Anyone have any idea why my menu button won't work?