Reload this Page >

IE crashing ALL THE TIME !?? Huh

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

IE crashing ALL THE TIME !?? Huh

Old 11-18-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IE crashing ALL THE TIME !?? WTF

anyone having serious problems with Internet Explorer lately??

mine will not last 10 seconds without crashing. What the hell is the deal? It will only load 1 or 2 pages, and then lock up and crash.

I tried to delete my cash and clear out my temp folder, etc... dont know what else to do-
Old 11-18-04, 05:35 PM

Well i would install firefox.

I got fed up with IE's crashing and lack of security.
Old 11-18-04, 05:37 PM

I've been having a similar problem, but only on espn.com for some reason. Usually I'll access the site, IE will crash, I'll restart IE, go back to espn.com, and it's fine. I don't know why it happens, or why I can go back with no problem.

??????????
Old 11-18-04, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by jas722
Well i would install firefox.

I got fed up with IE's crashing and lack of security.
You know, I've heard that from a few people. Sorry for my ignorance, but why is Firefox better than IE? Is it just that fewer people use it so hackers don't care about trying to corrupt it, or is it a more stable programming language or something?
Old 11-18-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CWFreeze
Is it just that fewer people use it so hackers don't care about trying to corrupt it
Yep, pretty much the same thing goes for viruses and the Mac. If the majority of people used Firefox instead of IE, you can bet your ass there would be just as many exploits. Only you wouldn't have a hundred billion dollars to help patch them.
Old 11-18-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If IE crashes, try to diable 3rd party browser extentions in the Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab. It is best to do this in the Control Panel applet with Internet Explorer Closed. If this solves the problem, then it *could* be an BHO(Browser Helper Object)

If it does NOT solve the problem, it could be a damaged flash/java installation or some pesky parasites

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 11-18-04 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fortunately I don't have this problem. I still use IE from time to time and it still works. Heck if it ahd tabbed browsing and mouse gestures I'd probably uninstall Firefox and Maxthon.
Old 11-18-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CWFreeze
You know, I've heard that from a few people. Sorry for my ignorance, but why is Firefox better than IE? Is it just that fewer people use it so hackers don't care about trying to corrupt it, or is it a more stable programming language or something?
-fewer people, so less people try to hack... but there are still as many security vulnerabilities as ie
-not more stable
-and less compatible with alot of websites

but it does have tabbed browsing.. thats really the only thing that ff has over ie
Old 11-18-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
FF has been a ton more stable for me
the reason you run into problems on some sites is because those sites are coded just for ie using nonstandard code
Old 11-18-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
FF has been a ton more stable for me
the reason you run into problems on some sites is because those sites are coded just for ie using nonstandard code
Firefox's extension "IEView" is perfect for those sites that don't run properly in Firefox
Old 11-21-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
-fewer people, so less people try to hack... but there are still as many security vulnerabilities as ie
-not more stable
-and less compatible with alot of websites

but it does have tabbed browsing.. thats really the only thing that ff has over ie
That's just not true.

Firefox is more secure than Internet Explorer from the start primarily because it doesn't use ActiveX, a Microsoft invention that is inherently unsecure. Since the default security setting of Explorer is "medium," any ActiveX control that's digitally signed can install and run on your computer and pretty much do whatever it wants. And any fool can buy or fake a certificate. This is the root of the spyware problem with Explorer.

One benefit of Firefox is extensions to customize functionality. And before someone says that that's a security risk, if you want to install an extension from a non-Firefox website, you have to explicitly go into your list of approved websites and add it.

It's also more stable on every computer I've used. Just because it just hit 1.0 doesn't mean it's unstable... Mozilla's been around for awhile now.

It does follow W3C standards strictly, which is why the odd page coded and tested solely for Internet Explorer (not "a lot" like you say) doesn't display as the author intended. Microsoft's implementation on many things is just flat-out wrong, and has been for years. Besides margin and padding issues, an easy example is the FIELDSET tag. Add a background to it like this:

<fieldset style="padding: 5px; color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #008000; border: 1px solid #000000">
<legend style="padding: 3px; color: #000000; background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 1px solid #000000">This looks crappy in Explorer (and Opera, for that matter)</legend>
Doesn't it? And this is just an example.
</fieldset>

You can't fix a problem by perpetuating it.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 11-23-04 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
in opera it looks the same as FF, but IE does look worse, it hase this weird black line/box inside the green

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Besides margin and padding issues, an easy example is the FIELDSET tag. Add a background to it like this:

<fieldset style="color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #008000; border: 1px solid #000000">
<legend style="padding: 3px; color: #000000; background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 1px solid #000000">This looks crappy in Explorer (and Opera, for that matter)</legend>
Doesn't it? And this is just an example.
</fieldset>

Old 11-23-04, 10:21 AM
Banned

Since the default security setting of Explorer is "medium," any ActiveX control that's digitally signed can install and run on your computer and pretty much do whatever it wants.
Well, yes, assuming you hit "yes" on the screen prompt, which is the default setting for running signed ActiveX controls.

And any fool can buy or fake a certificate.
Buy, not fake. You have to have the CA's private key to fake a signature.

This is the root of the spyware problem with Explorer.
No, the root of the spyware problem with Explorer is moron users hitting Yes to every prompt that pops up. Funny how I never seem to get spyware on my box despite running IE.

It's also more stable on every computer I've used. Just because it just hit 1.0 doesn't mean it's unstable... Mozilla's been around for awhile now.
Actually, it's still very unstable. 1.0 is giving more reported crashes than 1.0PR was. That's one reason they include the Quality Feedback Tool right into the Firefox/Mozilla download, so they can get crash report information. FWIW, IE has not crashed on me in years, while FF 1.0 crashes pretty consistently, at least once a week. And I don't use FF that much.

You also can't fix a problem by breaking existing functionality. Until FF gets its shit together and starts displaying pages properly, it's FF/Moz that's broken. Plain and simple. If it works in IE, then it should work in FF. You can't really claim to be "right" when the competition's software is the one that actually works. At least, you can't claim such without being obviously a fool.
Old 11-23-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FWIW, IE has not crashed on me in years, while FF 1.0 crashes pretty consistently, at least once a week. And I don't use FF that much.
At the office, I.E. crashed on me occasionally. Here at home, FF has yet to do so, even though I do considerably more surfing.

If it works in IE, then it should work in FF.
Since when must a browser render non-standard markup to be defined as "working?"
Old 11-23-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

That's just not true.
sure it is

Firefox is more secure than Internet Explorer
no its not
Old 11-23-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to uninstall the google toolbar to fix my ie from closing all the time.
Old 11-23-04, 01:19 PM

thats really the only thing that ff has over ie
It's also more responsive, something one may not notice on a fast machine, but which is painfully obvious on slower ones like I have to make do with, and it's not susceptible to IE-oriented browser hijack exploits.
Old 11-23-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Otto

You also can't fix a problem by breaking existing functionality. Until FF gets its shit together and starts displaying pages properly, it's FF/Moz that's broken. Plain and simple. If it works in IE, then it should work in FF. You can't really claim to be "right" when the competition's software is the one that actually works. At least, you can't claim such without being obviously a fool.

exactly
why should i have to deal with pages loading slower and incorrectly, just to say Im not using a microsoft product

I go with what works better.. and until FF releases a product worth a shit, Ill stick with IE.

anyone that believes FF is more secure.. Needs to fire the security group at their company. We get daily notifications of all the latest exploits from our company. and I receive AT LEAST as many warnings about FF/Mozilla, as I do about IE.. the big difference, is that IE quickly releases patches so everyone knows about it. FF leaves the shit unpatches, but noone cares, because noone uses it.

and if you want to examine activex, you might as well take a good look at that slow loading, insecure piece of crap called java
Old 11-23-04, 01:50 PM

I do a lot of FireFox surfing, and virtually all the page I browse load correctly. Where are all these problem pages?

And not only is ActiveX (a marketing term for COM) wildly insecure, it has also been quietly but officially deprecated by Microsoft. The only references to ActiveX control development for IE in MSDN are now several years old, a hint that it's time to move on to something newer (and more secure), like .NET Server Controls.
Old 11-23-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Otto
Well, yes, assuming you hit "yes" on the screen prompt, which is the default setting for running signed ActiveX controls.
Which is why having the user have to do some actual effort to install something besides click "Yes" is a good thing.

Buy, not fake. You have to have the CA's private key to fake a signature.
Whatever. The point still stands. Anyone can buy a certificate.
No, the root of the spyware problem with Explorer is moron users hitting Yes to every prompt that pops up. Funny how I never seem to get spyware on my box despite running IE.
Funny how Microsoft doesn't do anything to respond to human behavior.
Actually, it's still very unstable. 1.0 is giving more reported crashes than 1.0PR was. That's one reason they include the Quality Feedback Tool right into the Firefox/Mozilla download, so they can get crash report information. FWIW, IE has not crashed on me in years, while FF 1.0 crashes pretty consistently, at least once a week. And I don't use FF that much.
QFT is irrelevant. Microsoft includes a bug reporting tool as well. It's good practice, not acknowledgment of a shoddy product. Since we're using anecdotes, Firefox never crashes on me at home or work.
What the fuck? "Displaying pages properly"? Whose definition of "properly"? I'd rather go with the W3C's standards than Microsoft's. Just because Microsoft has been around for awhile and arbitrarily created its own (incorrect) interpretation of standards doesn't mean they get the right to dictate standards to everyone else. And since we're being so egalitarian, shouldn't it work the other way around? If it displays in FF, it should display in IE? Then why does Microsoft use a buggy DOM?

I don't have a problem with Microsoft. I use Firefox because it's faster, cleaner, and offers more features that I like.
Old 11-23-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
anyone that believes FF is more secure.. Needs to fire the security group at their company. We get daily notifications of all the latest exploits from our company. and I receive AT LEAST as many warnings about FF/Mozilla, as I do about IE.. the big difference, is that IE quickly releases patches so everyone knows about it. FF leaves the shit unpatches, but noone cares, because noone uses it.
I'm not sure who this Noone person is, but I'm glad he cares.

Explorer has been around for almost 10 years. Mozilla 1.0 was released about a little over 2 years ago, and Firefox 1.0 only a few weeks ago. The fact that the number of bugs is even close to the same is amazing to me.

I'm glad that browsers like Firefox finally spurred Microsoft to actually improve Explorer with a new release. They've added a pop-up blocker. Whee!
and if you want to examine activex, you might as well take a good look at that slow loading, insecure piece of crap called java
Old 11-23-04, 02:14 PM

I'm not sure who this Noone person is, but I'm glad he cares.
Why, Noone is a once-legendary pop singer whose group sold more records in 1965 than either the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.
Old 11-23-04, 03:02 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an interesting issue that has also recently came up with my IE. My default page is the myYahoo page. When I have more than one IE window open, IE continues to work fine in one window but the other window is minimized and I can't access it at all. I try to click on it with no repsone. I ultimately end up having to Ctrl-Alt-Deleting to End the non-responsive window. This is a recent occuarance since the past week or so. I've ran all of the spyware detectors and nothing turns up, my anti-virus hasn't found anything (I have the latest defs), and everything else appears to be working fine.

Based on all the back and forth above, I know that I can switch to Firefox or another browser, but can anyone help diagnose this issue with IE?

running Windows XP, SP1 with IE 6

Thanks.
Old 11-23-04, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DivxGuy
I do a lot of FireFox surfing, and virtually all the page I browse load correctly. Where are all these problem pages?
Hit the Reply button to any thread on this very forum. Notice how the reply text box is the wrong size? That's just the most convienent example, I could come up with more.

Which is why having the user have to do some actual effort to install something besides click "Yes" is a good thing.
I'm not going to debate this with you, but quite a few people I know simply changed FF's settings to disable that because they find it annoying to have to double install things like that. I see your point, but adding more annoyance in the path of the user is *not* a valid solution to the problem.

Whatever. The point still stands. Anyone can buy a certificate.
So? This helps your point not in the slightest, as your point was radiculos to begin with.

Funny how Microsoft doesn't do anything to respond to human behavior.
Because responding to human behavior in the way you suggest is a lose lose scenario. Making it harder for the user to do things that they are trying to do makes them either a) bypass your restrictions or b) switch to less annoying software. I find it amazing how "piss off the user" can so easily be written off as a valid way to gain acceptance.

QFT is irrelevant. Microsoft includes a bug reporting tool as well. It's good practice, not acknowledgment of a shoddy product. Since we're using anecdotes, Firefox never crashes on me at home or work.
Actually, Microsoft's bug reporting tool is for the operating system, not the browser. And FF crashes all the frickin' time.

What the fuck? "Displaying pages properly"? Whose definition of "properly"? I'd rather go with the W3C's standards than Microsoft's. Just because Microsoft has been around for awhile and arbitrarily created its own (incorrect) interpretation of standards doesn't mean they get the right to dictate standards to everyone else.
Actually, yes... yes it does.

Here's a set of pages that are meant to display something. They have been designed to display it in this way. Along comes this new browser that displays them according to some arbitrary standard laid down by the W3C gods.

I say the new browser is broken and the W3C gods can go shove it. If it's not displaying pages the same as the competition, then it's not competing. It's BROKEN. Simple as that.

And since we're being so egalitarian, shouldn't it work the other way around? If it displays in FF, it should display in IE? Then why does Microsoft use a buggy DOM?
Because you have people who intentionally designed pages to be broken in IE but work in FF, but not the other way around. Hardly a fair comparison.

I don't have a problem with Microsoft. I use Firefox because it's faster, cleaner, and offers more features that I like.
I don't have a problem with Firefox or Mozilla. I use IE because it's faster, cleaner, works correctly, and has enough functionality that I like. Plus it doesn't have god-damned annoying freaking tabs. I hate those damn things.
Old 11-23-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

meh
its always the same arguement
and really.. i dont see the point in trying to change anyones mind one way or the other

the only part that annoys me.. is people that go to a thread asking for support with a certain product.. and their only response is to change products..
the funny part is.. 99% of the time, their reasoning for changing product is based on rehashed ignorance.

if your software crashes.. its almost always because of something you did or something you installed.. keep in mind, this is the same software that runs fine for the masses.

if you believe that one product is more secure than another. I have a bridge i would like to sell you. If you want to use this arguement, stick with the fact that one is used by so few people, that there are less hackers trying to exploit the equal number of bugs in that particular software.

if you believe an alternate solution is going to be more stable than the one that was actually designed for the operating system. You probably need to look back to see what type of 3rd party crap you installed to get you to that point.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.