Reload this Page >

Photoshop Installation Help

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-18-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an inquiry in to the seller but all kinds of weird questions/problems get handled here, so here goes.

I bought a full copy of Photoshop 7 from a "clearance" type place; I run Windows ME so I can't use current Photoshop CS version. My computer has a CD-RW (M: drive) and DVD-ROM (N: drive). I can install software from either, but usually use M:

So, I try to install my copy. The splash, language, EULA, and installation menu screens all play happily from the M: drive. When I pick Photoshop from the installation menu, it tries to read install from the N: drive. Since it's empty, it fails (if I move CD to N: drive, it still won't work). So I try to install from the N: drive. First few screens go OK, then it tries to install Photoshop from M: drive.

I've done the obvious: Restart computer, disable virus scan, disable as many start up applications as I can, still the same thing happens. Whatever drive I put the CD in, it wants to install from the other.

Anybody got any ideas?
Old 11-18-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Copy the CD and put a copy in each drive?
Old 11-18-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't you browse and change the path it installs from?
Old 11-18-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by danw
Copy the CD and put a copy in each drive?
Interesting idea but no joy. Either the original or the copy will play the first few screens from either drive, but when it tries to start the installation, I get a bad file or command message instead of A/R/F message from the empty drive.
Old 11-18-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BlasTech Industries CEO
Can't you browse and change the path it installs from?
Yes. I can bypass the autostart and go directly to the setup.exe in the Photoshop directory on the CD, using RUN command. Assume I am doing that in the M: drive. Setup immediatelty tries to read the N: (empty) drives and opens a DOS window to display the A/R/F message. If I have a copy of the CD in the other drive, I get a bad command or file message in a DOS window, instead.

Doesn't matter which drive "real" disk is in vs copy, or which drive I start the process from.

Basically, setup attempts to read the alternate drive instead of the one in use and generates an error message.
Old 11-18-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could you make an image of the CD and use Daemon Tools to try and install it? Maybe then it would just use the image and not ask for another drive?

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php
Old 11-18-04, 04:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know why it would, but maybe it's having trouble installing from such a high letter drive.

Ideally you'd temporarily take off your D or E drive and make your CD-ROM or -RW to be one of those letters with no gaps in between.
Old 11-18-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No intermediate drives exist. I have no idea why HP set the computer up this way.

However, the real problem is that the Photoshop folder contains both pssetup.exe and setup.exe. The instructions say if it doesn't autostart, start setup.exe. However, it actually should be pssetup.exe. It is installed.

However, the serial number won't register and Adobe says it is pirated. I bought it legitimately from a legitimiate (I hope) Amazon.com merchant, so now the pissing contest between me, Adobe, Amazon, and the merchant begin. (Without registration, the program "self-destructs" in 30 days). BTW: It wasn't that cheap for an obsolete edition.
Old 11-19-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

try copying the whole thing to your hard drive and installing from there...
Old 11-19-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chrisedge
try copying the whole thing to your hard drive and installing from there...
I've had this idea work also. Just build a folder on the desktop and copy all the CD contents to it. Even had to do it once reinstalling The Sims. Otherwise the install failed partway through. Which sounds similar to your situation. Mayhaps it just causes whatever routing error that occurs to not happen when it runs this way.
Old 11-19-04, 01:21 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think he's past the installation point. It seems to have been a bigger problem than that.
Old 11-19-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The seller agreed to a refund and Amazon has already processed it (it all resolved itself while I watched tv for a couple of hours last night). Seller says he was victim of a scam where somebody lifted and used the serial numbers on other, illegal copies. The disk and package I received looked very legit; as long as seller makes good, I'm not too concerned. I have to send the disk back as the seller is trying to gather evidence to make a case.

Now, I still need to find another legit copy.
Old 11-19-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Open up the case and disconnect one of the drives. Either that, or do what was said above and copy all files to a folder on the HDD and install from there.