DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   My first pc and boy do I have problems, help??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/396234-my-first-pc-boy-do-i-have-problems-help.html)

Michael Allred 11-16-04 09:21 PM

My first pc and boy do I have problems, help???

Ok guys, I'm hoping somebody can help me out here.

I just got a computer from a friend. I had another friend wipe it clean and install Windows XP. He streamlined it for me so I have just the programs I want, no extra fluff.

When he got it back to me, I had about 800 MBs of disc space on it.

In the span of a week, I've got about ZERO! The ONLY program I added myself was Java and that doesn't take up 800 MBs!

I've looked through my computer for unnecessary files, jpeg, mpeg, avi, etc. Nothing. I CANNOT find anything that is taking up so much space and I keep getting warnings about low disc space. I can't even burn my own CDs so I even removed Nero (for burning CDs) and at one point I got about 100 MBs of space back. In a day or 2 I was again down to near zero.

I remove temporary internet files, and whatever useless stuff I CAN find but nothing seems to help. Something keeps eating up disc space but I just don't know what to do to find it. Everything else I have on here is stuff I need like AOL, ad-aware but it's pretty sparse as is and like I said, I had 800 MBs when I got it back.

I am so NOT a computer expert and am completely confused as to what to do. Even my friend who set it up for me doesn't know what's up.

Can anybody help?

nevermind 11-16-04 09:33 PM

Have you run an updated virus scan?

To find big files, make sure you have hidden files visible.

Did you get to run an updated Adaware?

btbrossard 11-16-04 09:35 PM

You may have some large temp files hanging around somewhere. You can use "disk cleanup" to get rid of the unneeded temp files and such.

In the long run, however, you will need a slightly larger hard drive. How big is your drive now?

/Benjamin

nevermind 11-16-04 09:36 PM

I haven't tried it, but you may want to try this program:

http://www.freebyte.com/disktective/

nevermind 11-16-04 09:40 PM

Also check that all but the last restore point is deleted. They can take up a shitload of space.

I agree with btbrossard. Drives are so cheap nowadays it's really a good move. If you are brave wait until Black Friday. You'll probably find a 80GB for free (or close to it) after rebates

68ShelbyGT500KR 11-16-04 09:56 PM

Originally posted by nevermind
Have you run an updated virus scan?

To find big files, make sure you have hidden files visible.

Did you get to run an updated Adaware?

Also check the System Restore setting. The default is 10% of disc space, I believe.

Make sure Hibernation is NOT checked in the Control Panel>Power Options

XP's default setup takes up approx. 1.5GB of harddrive space. This is without any Service packs Installed!!!

How big is your hard drive?

Page file is 1-1/2 times the amount of RAM..Nothing you should do about that, though
and all other items have been mentioned.

Hopefuly, he didn't have a virus lurking in the Custom CD....I assume he used Nlite is trim the XP routine

nevermind, Just curious how can you delete all but one restore point???

nevermind 11-16-04 09:59 PM

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR

nevermind, Just curious how can you delete all but one restore point???

Disk Cleanup, then the 'more options tab', then 'System Restore Clean Up'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Untitled-2.jpg

68ShelbyGT500KR 11-16-04 10:02 PM

Disk Cleanup, then the 'more options tab', then 'System Restore Clean Up'
Thanks! :thumbsup: I learn something new everyday..and I usually know my way around XP

nevermind 11-16-04 10:04 PM

Thanks! :thumbsup: I learn something new everyday..and I usually know my way around XP
Yeah that thing was a lifesaver for me one day. I added a pic if it'll help anyone...

Glad I could help! You've helped me out quite a bit on here :up:

68ShelbyGT500KR 11-16-04 10:17 PM

Yeah that thing was a lifesaver for me one day. I added a pic if it'll help anyone...

Glad I could help! You've helped me out quite a bit on here :up:

It is nice to help each other out in this forum

Just a thought, if, and that is a big "if", they have a virus/trojan on the computer and it is eating up hard drive space, it is 'possible' that the virus is in the last restore point.

They never mentioned whether or not they have a scanner on the system and have used it. If not, then they could go to trendmicro or panda's web site and do an online scan to check for viruses.

I think if you are wanting to run XP, you need at least a 10GB HD for it to run smooth.

nevermind 11-16-04 10:24 PM

It is nice to help each other out in this forum

Just a thought, if, and that is a big "if", they have a virus/trojan on the computer and it is eating up hard drive space, it is 'possible' that the virus is in the last restore point.

Yup. My friend had a virus that kept coming back, yet scans showed it was clean- it was in the restore points, which AVG didn't scan, so it couldn't remove them - everything was ok in it's eyes. It took me (literally) 5 hours to figure out how to get it AVG to be able to find the virus. If he hadn't just spent two weekends prior to that helping me build my HT room, I'd have told him to kiss my ass after an hour :D. Unfortunately that was in January and I forgot what I did. Let me try and find it on google.

nevermind 11-16-04 10:30 PM

Found it! I kept it in my bookmarks on IE, which I don't use anymore :):

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4400/rh4453.htm

That enabled me to scan and remove the virus with AVG.

**edit**
Now that I think about it, maybe it could detect the virus but couldn't remove it. Anyhoo, the above link helped me remove it.