Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about converting Home Video to DVD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-14-04, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of converting one my vacation videos to Dvd. I am using the Sony Movie studio program along with My DVD creator. Unfortunately my vacation video is 90 minutes long and will not fit onto 1 dvd. So far I am able to divide it up to fit 4 dvds. Is there a program that I need to use to compress it to fit 1 dvd-r or possibly 2?

Thanks
Old 11-15-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any good editing program should be able to fit two hours of video on a DVD. Never used Sony's product but I use Pinnacle Studio 8 and it has options for DVD creation that allow you to select maximum quality (1 hour) or fit video to DVD (up to 2 hours).
Old 11-15-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not familiar with that software, but something isn't right. It would be impossible to fill 4 DVD-Rs, or even 2, with 90 minutes of video because the maximium bitrate of a DVD would be exceeded (the DVD drive couldn't read the disc fast enough to play in real time). Around 60 minutes per disc is the highest quality you can have.
Old 11-15-04, 11:52 AM

What version of Sony Movie Studio are you using (Did it come in a yellow box [ver 3] or a white box [ver 4])?

When you are rendering the video out of Movie Studio, you are rendering to MPEG-2, correct? MPEG-2 is the type of video you need to put on a DVD.

I have a feeling that you are creating an AVI file, which is much, much larger.

You should be able to fit well over two hours of typical home video on a DVD.

Let me know what version your using and I can give you a more step by step explanation.

Also - Sony has their own forum for Movie Studio at www.sony.com/mediasoftware .

/Benjamin
Old 11-15-04, 07:51 PM

I am using version 3. I think I am rendering it as a AVI file. Is there a differance in quality using MPEG-2 vs. AVI when watching it?

Thanxs in advance.
Old 11-15-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

a good website i use for these types of questions is www.videohelp.com
Old 11-16-04, 01:39 AM

Re: Question about converting Home Video to DVD

Originally posted by drugme
Unfortunately my vacation video is 90 minutes long and will not fit onto 1 dvd.

Thanks
Dude! Haven't you heard? You can put up to 4 hours of video on a DVD...

Seriously, at 90 minutes you'll probably able to use some insanely high bitrate, above 6MBit/sec.... the problem, is you're using a crappy piece of software...

Go ahead and download TMPGEnc, then TMPGenc creator, or some of the free - but extremely good - compression tools, like DIKO:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DIKO

And then you'll realize how much you're missing when using software targeted at AOL users...
Old 11-16-04, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by drugme
I am using version 3. I think I am rendering it as a AVI file. Is there a differance in quality using MPEG-2 vs. AVI when watching it?

Thanxs in advance.
You NEED to render to an MPEG-2 file when making a DVD.

As far as quality, you will not see a difference between a MPEG-2 file rendered with a resonable bit rate compared to an AVI file. The medium you'll be watching them on (standard TV) is not good enough to show any difference.

I think you might need to spend some time reading up on what goes into a DVD. A few minutes of time will help you to a great extent.

I would agree with Playitagainsam about the software. While Sony Movie Studio is an excellent piece of software and is based on Sony Vegas, Sonic MyDVD is a giant piece of steaming CRAP. The fact that Sony bundled a great piece of software with such a hunk of junk is pretty funny (until you spend $99 on it).

Use Sony Movie Studio to make the video file, use something else to compile the DVD. I've seen better freeware to compile DVDs.

If you just got this software, contact Sony and ask for a free upgrade to version 4. Version 4 comes with DVD Architect, which is 1000% better than My DVD.

Contact Sony at www.sony.com/mediasoftware

/Benjamin