Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from Win98 to XP: How do I migrate my IE "autocomplete" passwords?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-14-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing a clean install on a separate HD, so this isn't an issue of saving the passwords on a single computer, it's a question about moving that info over to the new system.

I know that these PWds are in the registry, and I may even have an "IE password recovery" program around here somewhere that will reveal the passwords (I used to, but now I can't find it)

The problem is that I probably have about a hundred of these things if not more. I could recover them all, type them up and then manually enter them all again, but it would be much easier if I could just x-fer them to the new machine.

Also: Is there some way to migrate my Dial-up connections? I thought I had seen some kind of program to do that, but I haven't been able to find it.

Lastly: Any other advice on doing this XP-installation/transfer from my Win98 machine?
Thanks
Old 11-14-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Protected Storage PassView (freeware)
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pspv.html

try BehindTheAsterisks
It may not work with forms, though

Windows passords are located in the pwl file in the windows folder. yourusername.pwl (Behindthe astericks should "see" these PWd's)
Forms passwords could be cookie based. Back up your cookies

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 11-14-04 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-14-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you should be able to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in the Accessories>System tools folder whenyou have XP running. Use the old hard drive (98) as the slave to the New hard drive as the Master (XP)
Old 11-14-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I managed to locate my copy of "Advanced IE Password Recovery" but I do have over 500 "autocomplete" login/passwords stored somewhere in the registry.

Some 'forms' passwords are saved in the pwl file, but not the autocopmlete ones. I've also got a pwl password viewer and it has like 10 entries.

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
you should be able to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in the Accessories>System tools folder whenyou have XP running. Use the old hard drive (98) as the slave to the New hard drive as the Master (XP)
I'll give that a shot, but are you sure it'll be able to find the passwords encrypted in the registry? If so, could I just export the registry, move that file over to the new system and use the "Files and Settings Transfer" to pull the entries out of that file?

Thanks
Old 11-14-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SCORE!

Success in my time!

There is a cool little FREEware program that not only reveals the passwords*, but ALSO has an 'import/export' function.

I exported my SEVEN HUNDRED+ login/passwords, moved them to the WinXP system, imported them and VOILA! All my IE autocompletes work. This would have taken me DAYS to have done manually.

The proggie is Protected Storage PassView v1.62 Freakin awesome!

* Please use responsibly
Old 11-14-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: SCORE!

Originally posted by new2theplace
Success in my time!

There is a cool little FREEware program that not only reveals the passwords*, but ALSO has an 'import/export' function.

I exported my SEVEN HUNDRED+ login/passwords, moved them to the WinXP system, imported them and VOILA! All my IE autocompletes work. This would have taken me DAYS to have done manually.

The proggie is Protected Storage PassView v1.62 Freakin awesome!

* Please use responsibly
I gave you a link for an older version 1.60., sorry
Old 11-14-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: SCORE!

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
I gave you a link for an older version 1.60., sorry
Thanks for your help '68!
Old 11-14-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered XP for my son and will install it when I go home for Thanksgiving. He currently has Win ME. I did get a full version, and it looks like the everyone suggests a "clean install" Anything else I should know?