Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

loud buzz/hiss when outputting audio from PC to TV

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-14-04, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my computer set up for audio out from my soundcard to my receiver (1/8th stereo jack from soundcard to 2 RCA cables to the receiver). whenever i output the sound, sometimes there's this loud buzz/humm type noise that comes from the speakers. sometimes there will be no sound at all and sometimes the buzz will be there. its not so bad that its unlistenable but its definately a nuisance. would upgrading to a larger gauge 1/8th stereo cable remedy this(the RCA cables are fairly thick already)?

Last edited by sureAV421; 11-14-04 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-14-04, 09:51 AM

Ground loop problem

Sounds like you have a ground loop problem. Here are some things to try.

Unhook the CableTV cable from the TV. Does it stop?
Try cheater plugs for the amplifier, TV, and/or PC. These take trhee pronged plugs and turn them into ungrounded two pronged plugs.

You mention that it is not always present. It is then probably an appliance causing noise in the wiring of the house. Fridge might be the culprit. However, you will not be able to fix it from this end. You will have to stop the interference at the amp.

Anyway, this is very common, and tends to rare its head when PC's are involved. I would almost bet that unhooking the Cable from the TV will stop it (assuming you have the receiver in some way connected to the TV). You can purchase filters for the cable and line conditioners to eliminate these noises. A line conditioner is your best bet but a good one is going to run you $150 or more.

Let me know what you find.

C. Ryan

Last edited by CRyan; 11-14-04 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-14-04, 12:18 PM

i unhooked the cable TV cable and then it stopped, so its the culprit.
Old 11-14-04, 06:43 PM

Just to be specific, it will stop with removing the cable. However, it is just a part of the "problem." Cheater plugs would enable you to keep the cable plugged in. Again, a better alternative is the line conditioner I mentioned above.