Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Networking w/ Comcast Cable

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-12-04, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have comcast cable and would like to split the connection between 2 PC's in my house. I have the modem connected to the broadband router on the host computer and a wireless network adapter on the other. I cannot get a connection.

When I checked comcast's website, they offer a networking package you can purchase for an extra $10/month. Do I have to sign up for this if I want to share the connection? Has anyone tried doing this with comcast cable without having to pay extra?

Thanks
Old 11-12-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm. That's weird. My connection is like this: Comcast>Cable Modem>router>PCs. I'd check the router's and wireless adpater's settings. You don't have to purchase the wireless package to have your network at home.
Old 11-13-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't have them set it up--you'll end up paying extra for the installation and have that continual networking charge. Have someone else help you if need be rather than asking Comcast.

I rehooked my network up last night and things I looked out for:

With my system, the cable that came with the router looks like the one the cable company used, but they aren't interchangeable.

The cable from the modem has to go in the Internet slot on the router (obvious, yes, but I hooked it to a port the first time.)

If you're getting connectivity on the main computer, but not on the second one, you might have the router/cable connection right but not the connection to the other computer.

Last edited by tasha99; 11-13-04 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-13-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Venus,
You might have to Clone the MAC address on the router, if you have it set up correctly.

I have comcast and it worked pretty easily just plugging in everything. I have the comcast modem connected to a linksys wireless router, which then connects to 1 server, with a cat 5 cable, and 2 wireless PCs, and my Xbox using the wireless adapter.

and, yes, don't have Comcast set it up for you.

Neitzl
Old 11-14-04, 08:54 AM

I finally got it to work. I think I did have the wrong ethernet cable going into the WAN. I knew I wouldn't have to go through comcast to do this and it bugged me that I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks everyone!