Reload this Page >

USB hub problem(s)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

USB hub problem(s)

Old 11-12-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB hub problem(s)

I bought a crappy Belkin USB 2 hub a year or so ago, and it died a month ago. The power light no longer turned on and, of course, it no longer worked.

I replaced it with this 7 port model from Targus, which I've been happy with. Unfortunately, it too seems not to be working -- although its main power light is on.

The PC USB port I'm hooking it up to definitely works -- my mouse is going straight to it right now.

I also disconnected the power and USB connection and re-seated them and rebooted my PC a few times -- yes, even though USB is supposed to be plug and play. No effect.

Any other obvious or non-obvious things I could try?

Also, since this is hub #2 that I've apparently burned through, is there anything that my PC could be doing that's frying these things? The power is hooked up to a decent surge strip, as is the PC. Here's what's hooked up to the hub when it's working:

* Printer
* Mouse
* Palm sync cable
* External hard drive
* Memory card reader

Thanks.
Old 11-14-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any ideas?
Old 11-14-04, 01:01 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can only think of uninstalling your USB drivers and finding and installing the latest ones from your motherboard or chipset manufacturer.
Old 11-14-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The issue started with the original hub failing with no power and the hub appearing to just have died. After connecting the new Targus hub it worked? But now you have no connectivity through the hub, but the port works on the computer if you plug something in directly. The hub appears to be self powered(from the pic) so it is bringing in external power to help produce the extra power needed to run all these devices.

If you go an right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware (what OS is this?) - Device Manager and look for any rows with a minus on them. Make sure your hub is on and plugged in. Plug the printer in while looking in the Device Manager. Do you get recognition? If a turned on device is attached to a computer all the drivers in here will then show up.

After doing this post what you see. Are there any minuses listed? What exactly appears in the Universal Serial Bus Controller section? ( to look inside double click on it or click the plus sign) I will be home most of the day. There are some steps we can try but some checking first will let us know what is happening now. If you had connectivity but lost it than that is often a power issue. But from what we know so far it does not seem to be that.
Old 11-14-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is Windows 2000, with SP4. I only mention this because apparently SP4 fixes some USB problems, but probably not the specific one I'm having.

At any rate, when I had my PC out on the workbench (aka kitchen table) to replace the case fan, I merely hooked up the USB hub while the PC was turned on and it recognized it immediately. I got the fan installed* and then moved the PC back to my desk and hooked up the hub along with all the items into the hub. Works fine now.

Believe it or not, this is typical with my experience with USB in general on multiple PCs and OS's. Works most of the time, but will flake out for no reason.

Even now, my "USB Controller" is in "Driver Not Installed" mode. No idea how to fix this, or if I should care, considering all my USB stuff seems to be working for now.

*My PC is not any quieter but at least it no longer emits a horrible buzz during startup.
Old 11-14-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The easiest way to look at this is the way you have. Than you can see what it does. If you right click all the ones with the "!" mark it will say remove or uninstall. It is just the drivers here not any installed software. When you restart the computer all missing drivers will be put back in. The hope is that they may go in properly if tried like this. When you take both items out of the "Other Devices" section you can see it disappear.

Seems as if the audio is also not functioning properly. The Mass Storage is for the card reader. Why there are 2 is odd unless it relates to the external hard drive.

I take it the printer is not plugged in? Take all those ones out and restart. See if the result is better. Losing the USB capacity after it worked often means there is a power issue. Power fluctuates for any number of reasons and a driver gets lost. Once lost if it is not removed cleanly you can see the same issue repeat over and over. Once you reboot and come back here to look, see if the result is the same or better. And then plug in the printer and the external hard drive (if it is not in) and what the references go in here. Screenshot than if possible.