Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Dell Jukebox MP3 player -- anyone have one?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-11-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at getting the 20GB jukebox from Dell for around $250.

I'm curious what the interface is like - how songs are sorted on the device, how you transfer songs over (I know its USB, but what program you use if its something other than My Computer), etc.

I'd appreciate any reviews, comments or suggestions.
Old 11-11-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i got the 15 gig model.

it comes with a driver for the jukebox and musicmatch whatever. i hated musicmatch and dumped it immediately.

i'm using dudebox now and it's pretty nice. you can check it out here:

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/dudebox/

it allows you to access the player through explorer and web browsers.

before i had this, i had an archos jukebox. i loved that i could just open explorer plunk files into it. dudebox gives me most of that ability back.

i'm *very* happy with the dell's performance so far. the earphones that come with it hurt my ears, so i'm going to shell out for some better ones.

i got mine for $129 and impressed with it so far.
Old 11-11-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My buddy has one and he likes it. I still like the interface on the iPod better but it seems a good deal for the price.
Old 11-11-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cranky - how can you organize songs on your device? Just by title (alphabetical), or by artist/genre/etc.?

I guess I want to know what sort of options there are.

Why'd you have MusicMatch so much? From what I understand I can use Media Player to rip songs and transfer from there, which I like. I was sort of hoping to just use drag-n-drop in My Computer/Windows Explorer.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-11-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna check out that dudebox program. I also currently have the Archos Jukebox 20 w/Rockbox interface, and I've been hesitant to dump it since I love the drag-n-drop feature which I value more that the ability to sort by MP3 tags (which I would love to have as well). I've had my eye on the Dell, so I may have to check it out now.
Old 11-11-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife has one and loves it. She had a Bantam before that and it bit. Poor battery performance.

Don't know much about the Dell but I know she catagorizes her playlist with her own section (not sure if that's the correct term) titles. Some under artists, some genre and some sections she names herself.
Old 11-11-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Toad
Cranky - how can you organize songs on your device? Just by title (alphabetical), or by artist/genre/etc.?

I guess I want to know what sort of options there are.

Why'd you have MusicMatch so much? From what I understand I can use Media Player to rip songs and transfer from there, which I like. I was sort of hoping to just use drag-n-drop in My Computer/Windows Explorer.

Thanks guys!
i organize by album. the jukebox actually breaks it down by playlist (which you can create on the box or in dudebox), album, artist, genre or all tracks.

i have albums on mine, so i go by artist, which then subs to their albums. very neat like that, imo.

i hated mm because i thought it was a bloated piece of crap . although it would be nice to have an all-in-one program to rip, categorize, transfer and burn...i just didn't like the interface.

i already have audiograbber with lame encoder to rip. dudebox does a great job of letting you drag and drop (otherwise, you can't really do it) to the jukebox, and more importantly, back to your computer. and i already use nero to burn. so mm didn't really impress me much.

you can use media player to rip and transfer. that's what i did originally before i bought dudebox.

quite honestly, i didn't like having to pay for extra software to do what i wanted to do....i felt like the jukebox should just come with something better, but thems the breaks.

i recently purchased 2 belkin desk stands for the jukebox. one for my computer desk and one for my home entertainment center. i can recommend those to you.

the case it comes in is ok. it's pleather and has a belt clip. there are aftermarket ones available from dell and belkin....but i'm not sure i need one of those just yet. i figure if i'm going to be needing an mp3 player where i'd need a better case, i'm better off getting a smaller compact flash based player as these laptop hard drive models will last longer if cared for a bit better. just ask my archos (r.i.p.)....it got wet and stopped working.
Old 11-12-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are the desk stands? I'll try to look them up.

How is navigation on the device itself? Is the LCD screen shitty or is it pretty good (e.g. how do the words show up, what's the backlit like).

Any regrets?
Old 11-12-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second redchair. I use it on my iPod and it rocks!
Old 11-12-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I gather at Dell, the new generation Dell DJ Jukebox 20 comes with DJ Explorer which allows for drag n drop functionality.
Old 11-12-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the stand just give you a nice place to set your dj. here's a link:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...tion_Id=201670

take 1/2 off of those prices as there is always a coupon floating around for belkin. check with fatwallet.com.

the display and menu is really, really nice compared to my archos. i've only spent a little time with the ipod....and it seems like dell stole some of the display. the toggle is completely different being a small spinning wheel...but after a few hours, it's second nature to use. it has a nice backlight and the buttons are backlit as well. the font is easy to read....and i have bad eyes.

one thing about the 20 gigger.....i've heard it's not a good idea to spend for the remote as for some reason they break rather easily.

believe i read that somewhere on here: http://www.delldjsite.com/forums/

i'd like to see the new jukebox explorer software. i'd be surprised if it's as functional as dudebox....but it would have been nice not to feel the need to buy extra software. the $25 i spent was well spent though.
Old 11-12-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently you can go to Dell and get firmware updates for the 'generation 1' Jukeboxes, which comes with the new DJ explorer.
Old 11-12-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'll give that a try. the old explorer bit the big one. or i'm just really picky. one or the other.
Old 11-24-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well my wife is looking at getting one for me but get this:

If she orders right now, it won't even ship until Dec. 13 at the earliest.

Isn't that odd??
Old 11-24-04, 02:35 PM
Retired

I've had one for a little over a month, and love the hell out of it. I got the 15GB model for $149.

Don't pay attention to the shipping dates, I got mine like two weeks before the estimated shipping date. I think they do those just to cover their ass.

Songs by default are sorted by artist and album, and you can make playlists and other things. It's not as intuitive as the iPods smart playlists, but it's not an issue for me as I hate mixed playlists and only want to listen to whole albums.

I hated music match as it only rips at half speed and nags you with ads if you don't shell out $$$ to by the full version. Plus mine crashed all the time if I tried to use the sync feature on both my home and work computer.

So I swithced to I tunes, and just you the my computer/dell dj explore option to load it.

All in all I'm 100% satisfied, and glad I didn't shell out the extra $150 or so for a 20GB iPod.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 11-24-04 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-24-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I'd love to belive you, the site crankyman linked to shows that LOTS of people are getting screwed. SOme of them ordered DJs in October and won't get them until December due to production delays. WOW!

Is yours Gen.1 or Gen.2 Josh?
Old 11-24-04, 03:58 PM
Retired

Gen 1 I believe. I got it in Oct. and I think it was on sale because they were clearing out the Gen 1s. The gen 2 15gb's are the new smaller ones right?

There may well be delays now, these are a hot item given the Dell brand name and the price difference between them and iPods, so they're probably selling like hotcakes for x-mas.
Old 01-17-05, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Toad
I'm looking at getting the 20GB jukebox from Dell for around $250.

I'm curious what the interface is like - how songs are sorted on the device, how you transfer songs over (I know its USB, but what program you use if its something other than My Computer), etc.

I'd appreciate any reviews, comments or suggestions.

Hey Toad,

Just wondering if you purchased the DJ? My friend received an ipod for x-mas and she's not too happy. I was considering purchasing the ipod (with my student discount), but now I'm leaning towards the DJ.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on the DJ.

Thanks.

Last edited by Anjanettea; 01-17-05 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 02:24 PM
Retired

I absolutley love the DJ. The only practical reason, IMO, to get the iPod is if you have a ton of music (more than you can fit on the players) and want to use iTunes to randomly fill it a lot (and use the smart playlists which the dell software, musicmatch, doesn't do well).

Otherwise, the other reasons are just subjective preference like thinking the iPod looks better, has a better interface etc. that aren't worth the extra $$$ IMO, as I'm very much funtion over form.
Old 01-17-05, 02:58 PM

Thanks Josh for your response.

I had started using iTunes in anticipation of purchasing the ipod. I have my newer cds (last 2 yrs) in iTunes and the rest of my cd collection in WMP. I was interested in purchasing 1 of the smaller players, as I really don't want to hear some of my older cds (but knowning me, 1 day I will be somewhere, and want to here Keith Sweat beg and cry in 1 of his songs from 1988.) I also purchased a few songs from Real Player (which I have to copy into 1 of the programs).

So, are there any other opinions out there on the DJ or iPod?

Sandi
Old 01-17-05, 03:13 PM
Retired

You can still use iTunes to manage your collection, then you can just drag files on to the dell dj by opening the explorer and dragging files/folders there from your my music folder (or whereever they're stored) I'd uninistall music match immediately.

One problem you'll have if you don't get an iPod, is that songs you buy from iTunes are in AAC format (protected at that) which won't play on the Dell DJ or most other non-iPod players.

The only way to fix this is to burn the songs to a cd in iTunes as CD audio, and reimport them into iTunes as MP3. Then you're good to go.

I don't buy at iTunes anymore for that reason.

If you have CDs you ripped yourself as ACC, all you have to do is highlight the songs, right click and select convert to MP3 (change setting in options---import from ACC to MP3)
Old 01-17-05, 04:01 PM

What's the problem with music match & the DJ? Is the dislike of the software based on individual preference, or is it just horrible software to use with the DJ?

I do have it on my pc, but I haven't used it.

Also, does anyone have any problems using the DJ in their car? I drive between VT & NY, and there are no radio stations until I cross into MA. Will have to buy the acessories for either player.

Josh, I appreciate your responses. Thank you

Last edited by Anjanettea; 01-17-05 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 05:42 PM
Retired

For one, you have to buy the plus version of musicmatch or it will keep nagging you to upgrade and on top of that it won't rip cds at full speed unless you upgrade.

On top of that, I couldn't get any of the link up functions with the Dell DJ to work. It would just freeze and crash if I tried to sync it, and it wouldn't display the DJ in the program to drag and drop things to.

Thus I just went to using iTunes to manage the mp3's and use my computer and dell dj explorer to drag and drop.

As for the car, the FM thing should be fine in those situations. I bought a cheap one and it works fine when I drive home to WV after I get about an hour from where I live now (DC/Baltimore area). Of course, the sound quality isn't as good, as it's limited to FM quality. There are other options depending on your car stereo that sound better (cassette adapter, line in directly to an input on the stereo if it has one).
Old 01-17-05, 07:24 PM

Again, thank you Josh. I would use cassette adapter for the car. I'm going to speak with my friend again to see if she is still unhappy with her ipod.
Old 01-17-05, 10:20 PM
Retired

Honestly, I wouldn't trust her opinion. The iPods are great. I don't think there worth the extra money over the Dell DJ's or the Creative Zen players, but they are the best out there. Well made, and they have the best interface both on the player and with iTunes.

If she's unhappy with it, she probably just wouldn't like any MP3 player period (unless she's just unhappy about spending the extra $$$ on an iPod instead of a Dell DJ or whatever).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.