Authoring a DVD...which program?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-11-04, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ya'll...

I'm looking to author my first DVD with menus and chapters and whatknot and I was looking for suggestions as far as which program to use. I know I should look at dvdrhelp but I'd rather get some feedback from you guys.

I have DVDLab downloaded but I've heard adobe is great.

Suggestions?
Old 11-11-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess that depends on what features you want and how much you want to spend on it. I found DVDMovieFactory from Ulead to be the best price for what you get.
Old 11-11-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Ulead as well. Very user-friendly.
Old 11-11-04, 11:40 AM
Banned

Price isn't an issue because I'm not paying for it.

I'm looking to put together a compilation of music videos. Dunno if i should join the files together to make one large vob or to use the individual vob files I have. Anyone?
Old 11-11-04, 12:38 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ianholm
I like Ulead as well. Very user-friendly.
I've been happy with Ulead as well. But I'll bet there are better ones among the expensive choices.
Old 11-12-04, 12:57 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those of you that have used Ulead...

I'm trying to put together a DVD with menus that has both video from a camcorder (as one menu item), and a photo slideshow with background music (as another menu item), all on one DVD. I currently use Sonic's MyDVD (came with the burner) and although the app is very easy to use (good for me), when I burn the DVD, I get inconsistant results. Often, the slideshow will begin skipping, with the audio track also skipping. The Video portion usually plays just fine. I've tried burning the same DVD but with just the Video and no problems. The funny part is that on my PC, the files work just fine, its just when I burn them onto a DVD and try it on a standalone DVD player. I've tried different media types, different media manufacturers, and in different stand alone players. I always burn to the HD first and then to the DVD.

I'm thinking its the software in that you can't combine Video and slideshows but would like to see if anyone using Ulead has ever created soemthing like that. I was trying to create a DVD of my nieces' first year of life with a couple of videos and some slideshows. This would make such an awesome gift for the parents and the grandparents.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-04, 07:13 PM

Ulead is OK, but the one I always recommend is DVD-Lab, and its big brother, DVD-LAb Pro... Or you can scour the web for the last version of DVD Maestro, before it was pulled off the market. I guess this makes it "fair game" for downloading, since it's abandonware...
Old 11-12-04, 11:26 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How is DVD-Lab for the average user? Is it user-friendly enough?
Old 11-13-04, 12:36 AM

The only DVD author i have ever used is Adobe Encore DVD which was easy to use so that is what I would suggest
Old 11-13-04, 12:43 AM

DVD-Lab is excellent, and has a very good learning curve, with a nice-illustrated "Help" and dedicated user forums. check out www.mediachance.com
Old 11-13-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I might be in the minority, but I really like Adobe's DVD Encore. It's really easy to use, and integrates so well with After Effects, or Premier Pro...if you're using those programs that is. I also like how it's pretty easy to create buttons in Photoshop once you get the feel for it. I've made several dvd projects, and all of them turned out pretty great using Encore.

But does anyone know what kind of software is used to create DVDs like Terminator 2:UE, or other really awesome dvds?

Neitzl
Old 11-13-04, 08:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Neitlz: probably something like SoftImage. Basically the same stuff used to make the 3D effects in movies themselves, then rendered out in movie format.