Reload this Page >

how to disable Norton A/V completely?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-08-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my Norton A/V has expired and for now I am going to use AVG. I want to keep Norton on my pc in case I decide I want to renew in the future. I just don't want it to load at this time. how do I keep it on my pc but completely disable it?
Old 11-08-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What o/s are u using?
Old 11-08-04, 10:48 AM

oops. sorry about that. I'm using XP Pro.
Old 11-08-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can do this. Start menu->run-> type in "msconfig" then hit enter.

Go 2 the tab that says services, then check the box that says hide all microsoft services. Then uncheck all the services that say either "Norton" or "Symantec" hit ok, then reboot. When u want 2 use it again u can go back in and just re check those boxes.
Old 11-08-04, 09:34 PM

I tried to disable everything and it didn't seem to work.

it ended up loading up a few other things. it ended up loading a few .exe's.

1 was UsrPrompt.exe(something for Norton) and I don't remember the other off hand(something like uaclt.exe or close to it, it was a windows update thing). plus, when I unchecked the Norton stuff with msconfig it automatically put the pc into safe mode or something upon restart(big popup box saying something to that effect).

I ended up reversing everything and the extra .exe's didn't reload(I tried to disable them before I did this but they kept coming back at reboot).
Old 11-08-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Y not uninstall it?
Old 11-08-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, I have the same question, but I'm using Windows 98.
Old 11-08-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What version of Norton Anti Virus?
Try these:
Under the "Uninstalling" Section:
http://www.computergripes.com/NortonAntiVirus2003.html

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 11-08-04 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
Go 2 the tab that says services, then check the box that says hide all microsoft services. Then uncheck all the services that say either "Norton" or "Symantec" hit ok, then reboot. When u want 2 use it again u can go back in and just re check those boxes.
I thought Prince lives in Minneapolis, not Austin?
Old 11-09-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I thought Prince lives in Minneapolis, not Austin?
Old 11-09-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maxwell: Prince (er, The Artist Formerly Known As Prince And Then Known As A Symbol But Who Has Now Resumed Using The Name Prince For The Present While Reserving The Option To Use An Integer Or Decimal Number As His Name In The Future) regularly uses abbreviations like "2" and "u," e.g., in his lyrics sheets.

Chris: I don't think there's any reason to keep it around. If and when you renew, you'll probably get the most recent version of the software suite anyway.

- David Stein
Old 11-09-04, 11:32 AM

the only reason I was wanting to keep it around was for the renewal discount if I decided to go that route. I guess it's not really that big a deal though.
Old 11-09-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, no reason to keep it around. I can't believe how sloppy Norton is on uninstall. There were literally 100 registry entries, .dlls, and OS services still registered after I uninstalled it.

I've been using Avast! for months now and haven't looked back.
Old 11-09-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second Avast. Frequent updates and can be configured to automatically get the defintions and program updates
Old 11-09-04, 07:12 PM

I ended up deleting Norton. I just need to use that Norton cleaner to remove everything. I'm running AVG right now but I'm considering adding Avast too. will I have any problems running both?
Old 11-09-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ChrisHicks,

You should only run 1 virus scanner in "RealTime" and only let one run at startup. This will reduce conflicts with multiple AV scanners.

use one as your primary scanner and the other as a backup, but the backup needs to have the definitions run manually along with the scans
Old 11-09-04, 07:31 PM

how can I configure Avast to run as a backup? can you help me with this? plus, this will allow me to decide which scanner I would prefer as a real-time and a backup between the 2.
Old 11-09-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
how can I configure Avast to run as a backup? can you help me with this? plus, this will allow me to decide which scanner I would prefer as a real-time and a backup between the 2.
In the system tray(Next to the clock), the blue ball with the letter "A".. Right Click and select "Start Avast Anti-Virus"..
When it finished loading, where is says automatic updates, if it says "ON', then Click on , "ON" , in the Update Basic section,Virus database and program need to be swithced to "Manual"

Next, go back to the tray icon and select>On access Protection Control.
There are 5 items there. Highlight each and select the terminate button for each one. Click OK when Done

Re-Boot. Bring up task Manager and look for anything that starts with "ash" in the Processes Tab
If any are listed, notate the name and post back. Do not install AVG untill we make sure that Avast is not running

ashdisp
ashmaiSv
ashServ
aswUpdSv
Old 11-09-04, 08:55 PM

thank you for the response but I already have AVG installed and running. can I still try the above instructions or do I need to do something else now?
Old 11-10-04, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
thank you for the response but I already have AVG installed and running. can I still try the above instructions or do I need to do something else now?
Trial and error....I couldn't tell you if they will get along for this interm until you try it. If one of the AV proggy's gives you a proble you may want to uninstall in Safe Mode.

1) I think that Avast gives you the options during the install process of the program on whether to start the service and resident shields. Just say no to them or uncheck them. I am not 100% certain of the installl process.

2) You can try to install Avast, it should reboot to complete the installation , then disable everything per my previous post.
3) Disable AVG until the Avast install is completed. Then Disable Avast, and then renable AVG.
Old 11-10-04, 03:12 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm running Nortons and AVG, no problems yet. Although I don't blame people for ditching Nortons.
Old 11-10-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is an unsupported norton cleaning script used by their tech support group to completely remove all traces of norton files. You can find it on their site if you dig around a little.

dave
Originally posted by sracer
Yeah, no reason to keep it around. I can't believe how sloppy Norton is on uninstall. There were literally 100 registry entries, .dlls, and OS services still registered after I uninstalled it.

I've been using Avast! for months now and haven't looked back.