Digital Camera & Memory Questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-06-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok....I have a few questions.

I'm looking to upgrade my camera....it was between the Canon S70 and the Sony DSC-P150. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Sony since it is smaller (I wanted a SMALL camera) and I can get it cheaper.

One question, what is the MAIN difference between the memory stick, and the memory stick PRO? Also, is there a BIG difference in getting OFFICIAL SONY memory sticks, or some other brand like LexMark?

Also, about how many photos can a 256MB memory stick hold if I take photos at the 7.2MP?

THANKS!!!!
Old 11-06-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should check out these three sites (among others) for some reviews to get more in-depth info as well as their forums for specific questions about mem stick regular VS pro etc.

www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com
www.stevesdigicams.com
Old 11-07-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Get the Memory Stick Pro if your camera supports it. Forget the regular Memory Stick. The MS Pro is faster and a newer technology. The old MS is limited to 128MB only. You will find 256MB version too but it's really 2 128MB in one, where there is a switch to flip between A & B. The third party brands like Sandisk and Lexar are just as good or better than Sony. It's cheaper too
Old 11-07-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The number of pictures has no simple answer. It will depend on the complexity of the scene and the JPEG compression you specify. I'm still waiting for my new camera to come, but all the 8 MP cameras I looked at seem to produce about a 4 MB file on their "extra-fine" setting, so about 64 pics. A little more if your camera is 7 MP.

Other memory technologies go to 1 GB and higher, Costco is having on a sale on various kinds of 512 MB memory chips for cameras. If this is a hard limit for your camera, you may prefer to consider other cameras and memory technolgies with more practical limits. I bought a 1 GB chip with mine (but it's all "in the mail")
Old 11-07-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....as I said. It was between the two cameras....leaning towards the Sony since it is smaller than the Canon....more practical for what we would use it for.....

I've found some decent deals on the Memory Stick Pro....
Old 11-07-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a detailed review (you have to "next" through the pages)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscp150/

I find their reviews very good for detailing pros/cons of each camera. What you choose still depends on what priority you place on what aspect.

On 4th or 5th page, it states the full size image, "fine" jpeg compression (the best the camera offers) is about 2.7 MB depending on scene content. I recommend choosing memory based on always using "best" mode. Sure, sometimes you know you are just shooting snaps, but you never know when you will get a great picture you want to blow up as much as possible. This should give very good quality to 8x10"
Old 11-07-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....now hopefully I can get a really good deal on this & a memory Card. I probably would want a 512, although I found a 256 Sony MSPro for $65 shipped.
Old 11-07-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Try Costco. I'm not specifically sure about memory stick, but they had various flavors of 512 MB cards $45-65 (depending on type) when I was there (in store, not sure about online, either) two days ago, I know they had SD, CF, and Jump Drives. Not as certain about types I don't have use for.