Problems with XP and Internet Connection

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-04-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
A coworker of mine has suddenly had an issue with her new laptop. She had been sucessfully using a wireless connection to her cable modem and one day she discovered the internet just did not work, via ethernet or via wireless. The wireless signal showed a strong connection though. She thinks it may be related to installing service pack 2 or possibly a Norton anti virus update she installed, but I'm somewhat skeptical. I suggested that she make sure her router is obtaining an IP from the cable modem and also make sure her wireless card is obtaining an IP from the router. She has this strong suspicion though that it is related this the update she installed because the problem arose right around the time she installed it (according to the installed updates log). She is going to try uninstalling service pack 2 or possbly using the system restore function, but barring that and what I suggested, do you guys have any other ideas? I think she might bring the laptop into work so I can try and trouble shoot but we won't be able to test the internet there. Any suggestions are apprecaited.
Old 11-04-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
reboot the modem. I used to have to do that all the time when I had cable
Old 11-04-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

that was my gut instinct. I'll ask her when I see her tomorrow if she's tried that yet.
Old 11-04-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
also reboot the router.
friend was on the phone 3 times for well over an hour with the tech support for her router and they never had her reboot it or the computers. I fixed her problem in 1 minute by rebooting it and each computer
Old 11-04-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I've had that some problem with my setup. As long as I reboot both the router and modem it usually clears up. She said she was going to try and fix it tonight so I'm tempted to try and get a hold of her tonight to see if she's tried rebooting the router/modem before she starts messing around with system restore and all that.
Old 11-05-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well i asked her today. she once i mentioned it she was completely awestruck that she forgot to try resetting the modem/router. My guess is that's the problem. On a side note she was able to sucessfully remove Service Pack 2 which was causing some of her programs to freeze up for some reason.
next time i talk to her we'll see if our guess was right.