Reload this Page >

New printer cartridges not doing the trick

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-03-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Epson CX5400 printer that's about 4 months old. Just ran out of ink that came with it and bought some generic ink (Abakus?) and now I'm having some issues. If I print 3 lines of text the first line is fairly clear, but the other two are smeared and totally illegible. I've cleaned the heads 5 or 6 times and even waited overnight and tried again. Nada.

Maybe generic isn't the way to go. I'll be po'd if the heads are clogging so soon.

Any clues? (not expecting many replies on this, but ya never know)
Old 11-03-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have read that generic cartridges are too troublesome for the savings of a few $$$. It is better to buy branded ink

I only buy branded ink personally, though it is more expensive.
Old 11-03-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
I have read that generic cartridges are too troublesome for the savings of a few $$$. It is better to buy branded ink

I only buy branded ink personally, though it is more expensive.
Yeah, you are probably right. I had a Canon for a few years and never really had problems with the generic tanks.
Plus, the feedback for the Ebay seller was very high for the ink they sell. I know that's not a guarantee, but I gave it a shot. I'm still not sure it's shoddy cartridges, but that's obviously a good guess.
Old 11-04-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to say this, but I ditched my Epson printer because the heads clogged so badly, and that was using Epson inks exclusively. I switched to Canon and have never looked back.