Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Does an AC Adapter charge and power at the same time?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-03-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. If I plug an AC adapter into my MP3 player while it is off, it will charge the player (no surprise). What happens if I play my MP3 player while it is plugged in.... Does the battery still get charged while being powered or does the adapter only power the device?... Basically what I am asking is if the AC adapter is plugged while a device is being used, does the battery get charged in the process?
Old 11-03-04, 08:44 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The battery charges, at least in my experience I have noticed that it does, but it charges slower then if the unit was powered off.

Which makes sense. The AC power has to power the device and charge the battery. If the unit was off, all that ac power would go to charging the battery.
Old 11-03-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that's what i figured.. if a AC adapter charges a turned off device 100%, I'm curious if a device is turned on what % goes to powering the device and what % goes to the battery

Originally posted by Vryce
The battery charges, at least in my experience I have noticed that it does, but it charges slower then if the unit was powered off.

Which makes sense. The AC power has to power the device and charge the battery. If the unit was off, all that ac power would go to charging the battery.
Old 11-03-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It probably sounds obvious, but I'm guessing that it would depend on the power usage of the device. For example, if you're charging a cell phone, it would charge at 100% if the phone was turned off. If the phone is turned on and set down while charging it would charge more slowly, but if you're charging while making a call it would charge even more slowly than that.
Old 11-03-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh i know that.. but what % do you think it charges at when you make a call

Originally posted by sdcrym
It probably sounds obvious, but I'm guessing that it would depend on the power usage of the device. For example, if you're charging a cell phone, it would charge at 100% if the phone was turned off. If the phone is turned on and set down while charging it would charge more slowly, but if you're charging while making a call it would charge even more slowly than that.
Old 11-03-04, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by j123vt_99
oh i know that.. but what % do you think it charges at when you make a call
Well, I'm going to guess it'll be somewhere between 0% and 99%. This is just an estimate, mind you.

Seriously, there is no way to guess at this sort of thing. Too many phone types, too many possible battery types, too many different charging methodologies, too many power usage requirements. No way to make even a good guess.