Reload this Page >

"CPU is unworkable or has changed" Boot message

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-02-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning when I woke up I was facing my computer with a blue screen of death. It gave me a Stop: 0x0000007e etc etc message with a driver error of usb.sys. I couldn't restart the computer so I cleared my CMOS and disconnected my extra USB ports. Computer worked for about 15 minutes and then I got another blue screen with a Stop: 0x etc etc but no driver information associated with it. Cleared the cmos again and restarted. Worked again. I did a system restore to a restore point from yesterday. I got everything running again for like 20 minutes or so and then it gave me another blue screen and no driver info, just the Stop: 0x etc etc. Again, it wouldn't restart, I cleared cmos, it got back into bios and gave me the error "CPU is unworkable or has changed" at this point I was able to get past this and into Windows one last time, blue screen, and now I can't do anything to get my computer to start. Computer will power up but just hangs and doesn't output anything to the screen. Also doesn't boot to my floopy or anything. I'm lost at this point. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new mobo or processor... Any ideas?

I made this computer myself, and it has been performing 'fine' for almost 2 years. I didn't made any system or software changes recently.

Windows XP Pro SP1
Abit KD7 Mobo
AMD 2600XP
512 MB Crucial Memory

HELP!?!?!?!?

-BlasTech
Old 11-02-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You may need to update your BIOS. There seems to be a problem with some ABIT MoBo's.

Are you overclocking?

You could try Abit's forum:
http://forum.abit-usa.com/

I had a better forum but I can't find it right now.

EDIT: Try to get into the BIOS and make sure the CPU is set correctly for the actual rating. Multiplier etc...

?????Your battery could be getting bad???

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 11-02-04 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't overclock and the bios is up to date. I'm thinking one of my memory sticks is bad. I've been pulling some out and switching etc., and I've got it working again with one of them out. So we'll see how that goes.

I hadn't thought about the battery. I'll look into that if this rigged setup doesn't work.

Thanks!

-BlasTech
Old 11-02-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BlasTech Industries CEO
I don't overclock and the bios is up to date. I'm thinking one of my memory sticks is bad. I've been pulling some out and switching etc., and I've got it working again with one of them out. So we'll see how that goes.

I hadn't thought about the battery. I'll look into that if this rigged setup doesn't work.

Thanks!
-BlasTech

Crucial is ususally good memory! That's the reason why I like to have 2 sticks (256) of RAM instead of 1 big stick (512). Helps in troubleshooting memory addressing.....

Keep us updated
Old 11-03-04, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I pulled the one out and I have had no problems since my last post. Put it back in, Blue Screen. So, either the memory is bad, or the port on the board is bad.

-BlasTech
Old 11-03-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BlasTech Industries CEO
Well I pulled the one out and I have had no problems since my last post. Put it back in, Blue Screen. So, either the memory is bad, or the port on the board is bad.

-BlasTech
My guess is that the Memory stick is bad.

Test the suspected 'memory slot" to confirm. If your MoBo allows you, put the known good stick in the suspect "bad" memory slot and run the computer to try and confirm the RAM stick or the slot itself is bad.

There are utilities out there that can test RAM such as DocMem
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

I have not used it though, there may be some freeware utilites on the sticky on the freewares that test RAM.
Old 11-03-04, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Crucial is ususally good memory!
I had a problem with one of my sticks of memory from Crucial. They have a lifetime warranty on their memory, so I called them up. They gave me a RMA number and an address to send the memory back to. I sent it back and within a week or two, I had received my new memory from them.

Here is a link to the information on their lifetime warranty .
Old 11-04-04, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Abit is awful. I had problems like you with their board, and returned it for a Soyo board and I never had the problem again.
Old 11-04-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I'm thinking of getting a new board because this is just a good excuse to do so. Just gotta make sure I can find a good one that works with my current memory as I really don't want to buy all new memory as well.

I think that the port and the memory are bad (probably one killed the other) due to various combinations of locations. Right now I just have the one pulled and it has worked for a few days so I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

Also getting an RMA from crucial so hopefully all will work out.

Thanks guys.

-BlasTech