Reload this Page >

Looking for an inexpensive wireless router

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-31-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'll have a Dell 700m on the way to me soon, I need to find a basic, inexpensive wireless router. Suggestions? The local Wal-Mart has a couple that are around $55, one is a Motorola, don't know the model. I've already had Linksys recommended.

Brian
Old 10-31-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had great luck with my D-Link DI-524(802.11g). My brother has also had good luck with the D-Link DI-514 (802.11b)
Both can be had insanely cheap after rebates.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 10-31-04 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-31-04, 02:21 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buffalo WBR2-G54. http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4009352 ($19.90 after $30 rebate). This 802.11g router is IMO one of the best on the market. Buffalo has a niche following compared to Linksys or Netgear, but those who have used them (including myself) generally find Buffalo to be superior in almost every way to the "big name" manufacturers. One clear advantage is tech support. Buffalo has very, very good phone tech support people who are a) available, b) knowledgeable, and c) English-speaking.
Old 11-01-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would suggest buying/watching the sunday paper... every week there is routers (depending on type) priced from about $9.99-$29.99 after MIR....

I got a Netgear Wireless "g" for $19.99 after rebate @ cicuity city
Old 11-01-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Another vote for CircuitCity...I got a Belkin rated 8.0 at cnet for $19 after rebate
Old 11-01-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only large store here is Wal-Mart, so it's there, the local computer shop, or the business supply store that has some computer stuff. I'll see if they have any of the suggested units.

Brian
Old 11-01-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
You cant order from circuitcity online?
Old 11-02-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are there any differences between the different brands of wireless-g routers?
There seems to be a huge discrepancy in price between brands.

Will each brand's wireless G PC card work with other brands?
Old 11-02-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes they will. 802.11B and 802.11G is standarized so you can intermix brands without issue.
Old 11-02-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by timewaster
are there any differences between the different brands of wireless-g routers?
There seems to be a huge discrepancy in price between brands.

Will each brand's wireless G PC card work with other brands?
i know the linksys ones have a built in firewall and some other features. not sure about netgear and d-link. linksys is also now owned by cisco and they make quality stuff.
Old 11-03-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
i know the linksys ones have a built in firewall and some other features. not sure about netgear and d-link. linksys is also now owned by cisco and they make quality stuff.
I used to be a huge Linksys fan but after getting a defective wireless G router from them I'm not as big a fan as I once was. I still reccomend Linksys but I'm just not as strong about it.
Old 11-04-04, 03:34 AM
Banned

The Linksys wireless G routers seem to be the current cheap/easy way to go. There's some good open sourced firmware out there and a lot of mods that can be done to the things. They're like $30 and change at Best Buy, I think. Maybe a tad more.

They do seem to have a rather high defect rate though. I've not had any problems, but there's seemingly a lot of people who have. Nevertheless, worst case is you return the thing and try another one.
Old 11-04-04, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For basic network configurations, interoperability between vendors is generally excellent. You may run into problems, however, if you want to throw repeaters/bridges into the mix. Also, the non-standard higher bandwidth modes are proprietary, so all the equipment will need to be from the same vendor if you want to use that.

I'd second what JM said about Buffalo Tech equipment. I've been using their bridges/routers for 4 years and they work well. The only caveat is that their web management interface is sort of clunky in places.