Reload this Page >

IE compatibility mode

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

IE compatibility mode

Old 10-29-04, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IE compatibility mode

OK, I know this problem was discussed earlier, around the release of SP2, but I have still yet to resolve the problem.

Here's what basically happens. When trying to access a link in an email (in Outlook Express), without first opening IE, I get the little "warning" window saying that IE will open in compatibility mode. However, this action causes Outlook Express to stop responding, thus creating the need for CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Now in my C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder, I have two icons for IE. One is entitled 'iexplore.exe' and the other is actually 'Internet Explorer.exe', both created on the same date and everything. When using the iexplore.exe file, IE runs as normal. When using the Internet Explorer one, I get the compatibility mode version. But but both open normally, except as noted above when trying to access a link in Outlook without a previously opened browser active, when it "freezes".

So I'm assuming Outlook is set to think that the compatibility mode version is my default browser.

Another thing is that shortly after installing SP2, my icon bank got corrupted and in attempting to reset everything, I think I manually created the 'fake' Internet Explorer icon. I soon thereafter learned of a "turbo tool" to repair a damaged icon bank.

So I'm wondering that if I should just delete the 'fake' Internet Explorer.exe icon, and then Outlook will ask for a new default browser the next time I click an email link.

Here's what my IE folder looks like:

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 10-29-04 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

'iexplore.exe is the Internet Explorer exe (the actual browser)

'Internet Explorer.exe' is??? You may want to navigate to the location of this file and select Propeties and look for the company name in the "version" tab.

EDIT: I don' thave this file on my XP SP2 computer. It may have something to do with one of the updates

I have these updates that were included in SP2
KB870669
Q330994
Q831167
Q832894
Q837009

I have no updates applied since SP2 via Windows Update site

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 10-29-04 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
'iexplore.exe is the Internet Explorer exe (the actual browser)

'Internet Explorer.exe' is??? You may want to navigate to the location of this file and select Propeties and look for the company name in the "version" tab.
See, that's the thing. They are identical in everyway in every 'properties' tab. Same company name, same version number, etc. Like I said, when I tried to manually restore all the icons, I think I created a bogus one. I distinctly remember calling it 'Internet Explorer', not knowing the actual real file was iexplore.exe.

So I'm wondering if it will be safe to delete that second one in the picture above.
Old 10-29-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should be safe in deleting the "internet Explorer" icon. This will send it to the recyle bin anyway, unless you bypass the recycle bin. If, for some reason after reboot, IE won't come up, then simplly restore the "Internet Explorer" icon from the recycle bin
Old 10-29-04, 10:34 PM
Banned

EDIT: I don' thave this file on my XP SP2 computer. It may have something to do with one of the updates

I have these updates that were included in SP2
KB870669
Q330994
Q831167
Q832894
Q837009

I have no updates applied since SP2 via Windows Update site
Well, as you can see, I have all those updates as well.

I'm pretty positive that the Internet Explorer.exe file is bogus and I could safely delete it to at least the recycle bin, but I'm gonna wait till I get a little more feedback here.
Old 10-30-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can always move the file to another folder, or just rename it if your want to test if the file is usefull or not.
Old 11-22-04, 05:39 PM
Banned

Well, sorry to bring up this subject again, but I just tried deleting the bogus "Internet Explorer.exe" and all the applications that used it in compatibility mode can no longer access IE at all.

So I had to 'restore' it to get them to work again. Question is, how do I reset those apps, including Outlook Express, to use the real 'iexplore.exe' as the browser location?

In other words, how to I reset iexplore as the default browser?

EDIT: Well do I go into the "Set Program Access and Defaults" Star Menu selection?

I'm running Win XP SP2, BTW

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 11-22-04 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Well, sorry to bring up this subject again, but I just tried deleting the bogus "Internet Explorer.exe" and all the applications that used it in compatibility mode can no longer access IE at all.

So I had to 'restore' it to get them to work again. Question is, how do I reset those apps, including Outlook Express, to use the real 'iexplore.exe' as the browser location?

In other words, how to I reset iexplore as the default browser?

EDIT: Well do I go into the "Set Program Access and Defaults" Star Menu selection?

I'm running Win XP SP2, BTW

To set Internet Explorer as the default browser, go to Start>Settings>Control Paenl>Internet Options>Programs tab>set your e-mail and IE there. Click OK when done.

Outlook Express default path is "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"

Internet Explorer Default Path is "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

To set the above, use the icons you use to launch the applications by right click and select Properties;

Internet Explorer:
In the Target Box is: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
in The Start In Box is:"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer"

Outlook Express:
In the Target Box is: "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
in The Start In Box is: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
Old 11-22-04, 10:07 PM
Banned

To set Internet Explorer as the default browser, go to Start>Settings>Control Paenl>Internet Options>Programs tab>set your e-mail and IE there. Click OK when done.

Outlook Express default path is "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"

Internet Explorer Default Path is "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

To set the above, use the icons you use to launch the applications by right click and select Properties;

Internet Explorer:
In the Target Box is: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
in The Start In Box is:"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer"

Outlook Express:
In the Target Box is: "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
in The Start In Box is: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
My Internet Options doesn't have a selection for Internet Browser. And in consequence doesn't have the options for setting deafult paths.
Old 11-22-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
My Internet Options doesn't have a selection for Internet Browser. And in consequence doesn't have the options for setting deafult paths.
If you go to the Control Panel>Internet Options>"Programs" Tab, here will the box that comes up:
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/51829ndq5/204671.jpg

Place a check in the box that says "Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser".

Click on the "Reset Web Settings" button
Clcik OK when Done
IE should then be the default browser, search engineand home page

The paths I specified are for the icons that you use to launch Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. These icons are typically located in the quick launch bar located next to the "start" Button.
Old 11-23-04, 02:57 AM
Banned

If you go to the Control Panel>Internet Options>"Programs" Tab, here will the box that comes up:
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/51829ndq5/204671.jpg

Place a check in the box that says "Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser".

Click on the "Reset Web Settings" button
Clcik OK when Done
IE should then be the default browser, search engineand home page

The paths I specified are for the icons that you use to launch Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. These icons are typically located in the quick launch bar located next to the "start" Button.
Well OK, but I've tried all that. Still doesn't fix the problem. Outlook still need the bogus executable and apparently so does my McAfee security center. In fact, McAfee gives me a "URL not found" box. Outlook doesn't do a thing when I click on a URL if I don't already have IE open.