Reload this Page >

Need a program for creating multiple playlists

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-29-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what i'm trying to do: I have my entire CD collection backed up onto a harddrive so i don't have to cart my CDs in and out of the house all the time. Over 5,000 songs. I need a program to go in and create an individual playlist for each ARTIST based on the ID3 tags. I couldn't get MP3TagStudio to do it, nor can i see a way in itunes or musicmatch.

The real reason i need it spread out like that is beacuse i want all my files in one directory, but i want to be able to browse my music on my Tivo using the "home media option". Right now i only have one HUGE playlist of all the songs, and my Tivo chokes on it.

Anyone know a good playlist program that can do this in one big motion (or a way to do it in winamp, musicmatch, or itunes)
Old 10-29-04, 02:10 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, so i read this post last night and thought "hmm, this should be easy." Well, i tried throughout the night and couldn't find a program that can do this in one shot. I get obsessive when i come across something like this so i thought of a way to do it with the least amount of effort. I got it down to *begin edit* 1 program (MP3-TagIt), 1 shell extension (Mp3ListShellEx) and 3 batch processes. Here goes:

1. since all your songs are in one folder, you need to sort them into sub-folders according to artist name (see why in the next step). MP3-TagIT will do it.

2. next, create playlists with relative paths according to those foldernames (artists) using MP3ListShellEX
(step 1 was necessary because MP3ListShellEx can do multiple playlists according to foldernames but not by artist name in ID3 tag).

3. Use MP3-TagIT again to move your songs back to the main folder.

*end edit*

That should do it.

(I fully expect someone to swoop in and do all this in one shot )

Last edited by HN; 10-30-04 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 11:00 PM

Hey! Just wanted to thank you for the effort you put into your post and thinking it through! I'm going to give it a couple more days for someone to post a one-button approach... I might try an MP3 board and see if i have better luck. But if no one offers an alternative i'll use the method you posted.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-30-04, 04:39 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Edited it down to 3 steps (and much faster).

If you do come across a one shot method, please do share -- I can see it coming in very handy as my collection grows.

If you end up having to use the method above and have trouble with the settings, feel free to e-mail me and I'll AIM you through it.
Old 10-30-04, 01:15 PM

I found a program called M3TK over on sourceforge, but it appears to be a linux program. Problem considering my archive is on a NTFS drive. It's description sounds right though "Creates playlists based on ID3 tag field information such as artist genre or album"