Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WEIRD internet tracking?

Old 10-28-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEIRD internet tracking?

I went to this website

www.powerleap.com

I had bought one of their PL-iP3/T models 2 years or so ago.

I went to the website today to check out some info, and 30 seconds later they send me an email.

How the hell did that happen??
Old 10-28-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are many easy ways to track you this way - e.g., they could send an email asking you to click on a user signup confirmation link, and then associate your IP address with your email address (the one they sent the email to) when you click on the link.

But it's very unlikely that there's a connection. That site is already communicating with you via web pages - why would they use a separate communications channel to send you a message? Why not just send it to you as part of your next webpage request? It would be like someone getting a call from you, and while they're talking to you, writing a letter and dropping it in the mail.

So it's probably a coincidence.

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
There are many easy ways to track you this way - e.g., they could send an email asking you to click on a user signup confirmation link, and then associate your IP address with your email address (the one they sent the email to) when you click on the link.

But it's very unlikely that there's a connection. That site is already communicating with you via web pages - why would they use a separate communications channel to send you a message? Why not just send it to you as part of your next webpage request? It would be like someone getting a call from you, and while they're talking to you, writing a letter and dropping it in the mail.

So it's probably a coincidence.

- David Stein

Nooooooooooo Way! You really think it could be a coincidence?

I haven't been to that web page in 2 years. I typed it in today, and as soon as it was done loading, I got an email.

It's not an extremly popular web site and I haven't gotten an email from them in over a year and a half