Reload this Page >

In search of: Reliable, cheap POP server account

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-28-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The university where I attended law school has decided to nix POP accounts for its alumni. Apparently, my six-figure tuition bill doesn't cover the cost of a lifetime email account.

So I have to find a POP account provider. I don't need high capacity - 100mb should be plenty, since I check several times a day. I'm looking for fast, reliable, and cheap. "Free" would be great, but I doubt the free services like Gmail allow checking via POP (correct?)

Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 11:26 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

gmail and this http://www.gnotify.com/gpopper/ [this used to be Pop Goes the GMail (PGtGM)]
Old 10-28-04, 12:15 PM
Banned

While gPopper works great, is there any particular reason you want to stick with the POP protocol? I personally dumped mailreaders right after I started using GMail. I love the lightweight interface, and being in a browser makes it trivial to read my mail from any conencted box that I happen to be near.
Old 10-28-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Otto
While gPopper works great, is there any particular reason you want to stick with the POP protocol? I personally dumped mailreaders right after I started using GMail.
Sure:

1) I want to retain access to my mail when I don't have a net connection.

2) I want the ability to back up my mail just as I would my other data.

3) I don't want to rely on a third party to host all of my personal, private mail. Sure, I recognize that it has to pass through them anyway unless I want to set up my own POP server. But it's the difference between them seeing my daily mail vs. holding all of my mail.

4) It's just good practice.

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 12:49 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by sfsdfd
3) I don't want to rely on a third party to host all of my personal, private mail. Sure, I recognize that it has to pass through them anyway unless I want to set up my own POP server. But it's the difference between them seeing my daily mail vs. holding all of my mail.
GMail may not be a good solution then.

Don't you have an ISP who does mail? Are you connecting through school?
Old 10-28-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fastmail allows POP access.
Old 10-28-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
Don't you have an ISP who does mail? Are you connecting through school?
Home access is via [email protected] DSL, and though I'm sure my ISP offers mail, I'd guess that it's sufficiently crapified that I don't want to use it.

My masters degree university probably offers mail, too, but given that I finish that program in May, I don't want to get bounced *again* - I'd prefer a permanent solution.

- David Stein
Old 10-28-04, 01:59 PM
Banned

SpyMac.com offers a free gig of mail storage with SMTP/POP access. It's heavily confusing to setup and use though. Just be careful not to put in any credit card info or anything, and it stays free.
Old 10-28-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a couple of domains hosted at 1and1.com and I could give you a POP account there if you'd like. I also have a couple hosted at another provide which I've been with for over 6 years now and I check that account every 30 minutes and they're VERY rarely down - I can only think of once or twice in the past couple months and they were up within an hour. Let me know if you're interested and I could give you some domain options.

blakek (AT) gmail
Old 10-29-04, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The closest you can come to making sure your email address is permanent is to register your own domain name. Then you have the option of having it hosted professionally or on your own or a friend's server.
Old 10-29-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any reason why you don't just register a domain and use that?
Old 10-29-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Any reason why you don't just register a domain and use that?
I have registered a domain, and I'm running a website on it from my home computer. But my ratbastard ISP firewalls off port 25, so I can't run an SMTP server from home. (In truth, I can't run a web server, either, and I have a dynamic IP address anyway. I get around that by using a port and IP forwarding service, but I don't think POP/SMTP take kindly to port redirection. Still, I'll have to try it this weekend.)

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone. Haven't decided yet, but will mull over the options this weekend.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 10-29-04 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to use Spamcop. worked quite well and never once got any spam. I think their url is www.spamcop.net.
I think you could use POP or IMAP with them and they had pretty good web mail too.
Old 10-29-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Home access is via [email protected] DSL, and though I'm sure my ISP offers mail, I'd guess that it's sufficiently crapified that I don't want to use it.

- David Stein
OK, that one I don't get. You haven't even tried your ISP's email. I've had lots of ISPs over the years and never had email problems.
Old 10-30-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's because an ISP e-mail isn't permanent. You leave the ISP, you lose the e-mail.

As for domains, etc...you can always register a new one and host it with 1and1 - they have e-mail packages starting at $0.99/month.
Old 10-30-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blake
It's because an ISP e-mail isn't permanent. You leave the ISP, you lose the e-mail.
Exactly - thanks for pointing that out. Every time I switch, I have to provide a forwarding address and hope that it stays there forever. Otherwise, email sent to any of my previous addresses will go to the dead letter office.

I'm already planning on switching ISPs once - and probably a few more times in the coming years, depending on where I live and who's offering DSL/fiber/whatever in that area. I'd like to avoid switching email addresses as well. I may as well pick one central point that will be my email address forever.
As for domains, etc...you can always register a new one and host it with 1and1 - they have e-mail packages starting at $0.99/month.
That seems like what I wanted. Thanks.

- David Stein
Old 10-30-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can forward your Gmail account to your ISP's POP account for free right now.

You can automatically forward your new Gmail messages to another email account. Here's how:

1. Click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page.
2. Click 'Forwarding' along the top of the orange 'Mail Settings' box.
3. Enter the email address to which you would like your messages forwarded.
4. Select the action you would like your messages to take within Gmail from the drop-down menu. You can choose to keep Gmail's copy of the message in your inbox, or you can automatically send it to 'All Mail' or 'Trash.'
5. Click 'Save Changes.'

You can also choose which new messages will be automatically forwarded to another account by creating a filter.

Last edited by Roto; 10-30-04 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-30-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been using www.pobox.com for years to forward my email to my current email account. Works flawlessly.
Old 10-30-04, 12:59 PM
X
Administrator

From what I've seen you don't want a permanent email address. After a while it gets so well known to spammers it's easier to just change them than to continue to filter out/through the spam.

However having your own domain and running your own mail server gives you a great deal of flexibility. You can change your email address periodically while keeping your domain identity. Or you can have numerous "disposable" email addresses and dump them as they get out to spammers.
Old 10-30-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
However having your own domain and running your own mail server gives you a great deal of flexibility. You can change your email address periodically while keeping your domain identity. Or you can have numerous "disposable" email addresses and dump them as they get out to spammers.
X: Any idea if it's possible to host an email server on a port other than 25?

- David Stein
Old 10-30-04, 02:20 PM
X
Administrator

Since your exchange of mail depends on port 25 you either would have to host it externally with another service, change ISPs, or get a "business" version of service that doesn't block ports.

I did find this though - http://www.no-ip.com/tips.php/id/10
And this - http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/prod/msf.html

Since you have dynamic IPs you should probably check into the cost of a more business-oriented service that will give you a fixed IP.
Old 10-30-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but the business services cost like three times a consumer-class connection - way overkill. It steams me that ISPs assume that consumers will never want to run servers (or shouldn't be allowed, or should be charged more, etc.)

I've been using Tzo.com for port forwarding. Any requests arriving at my domain (e.g., www.sfsdfd.com/whatever.html) get redirected to my current IP address and port (e.g., 1.2.3.4:200/whatever.html). It's a little overpriced ($100/year), but it's completely reliable and does exactly what I want. Adding on email service is doable, and would be optimal, but is yet another cost ($50-$100/yr depending on what I want)... I'll have to think about it.

- David Stein
Old 10-30-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your only problem is the port blocking done by your ISP. A static IP is nice, but not essential.

There must be a consumer ISP service in your area that doesn't block ports or have restrictive bandwidth quotas/caps. Those would be the only real impediments to running your own server.

Having a dynamic IP just means you can't run your own DNS server. BTW, $100/yr for dynamic DNS service is very expensive. Dyndns.com is $25/yr (or free if you use their domains, eg sfsdfd.dyns.com).
Old 11-10-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gmail is POP enabled now, FYI

http://news.com.com/Gmail+touts+free...-5446901.html?
Old 11-10-04, 02:50 PM
lxl

Originally posted by nevermind
Gmail is POP enabled now, FYI

http://news.com.com/Gmail+touts+free...-5446901.html?
the article sounds like Gmail does not provide POP3 access (at least now); Gmail just allows user to retrieve or forward mails from/to other POP3 accounts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.