Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Norton AV Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Norton AV Question

Old 10-28-04, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norton AV Question

I partitioned my new 120GB hard drive into 5 and 115GB back when I got it, thinking 5GB should be plenty for the OS and whatever else necessarily goes on the main partition. Unfortunately, Symantec Antivirus (school forces us to use it while living on-campus) is taking up 1.8GB in just one folder, and I really want to get rid of that stuff, the partition is running dangerously low on space (<800mb). The folder goes to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\norton antivirus corporate edition\7.5\I2_LDVP.TMP\dec. The files in there are rather large, the biggest of which is 800mb itself. I'm not sure if the AV program really needs all of these, but I'm not about to just delete them outright and end up screwing up the whole system.

Could I just move these to the other partition, and leave shortcuts in their place?

I've already tried submitting the question to Symantec's tech support, but have gotten no response.
Old 10-28-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

easy ... rename the I2_ldvp.tmp folder to I2_ldvp.tmp.0 or whatever. run the system for a day or two ...

see if the OS misses that folder, if nothing happens.. delete it .. if you dont wanna do that, just compress that folder for a slightly longer period of time ..

if you need more space ...

delete ...
---all the $NTUninstall folders in the WinNT directory (if you dont see them, disable hidden files)
---c:\winnt\temp
---c:\winnt\softwaredistribution\download\
---c:\documents and settings\your account name\local settings\temp\
---c:\documents and settings\your account name\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\ (all the folders here)

this should free up atleast 500mb ...
Old 10-28-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

maybe you can also, move the pagefile.sys to the larger partition, and disable system restore on the c drive (or atleast lower the reserved space), system restore will still work since it'll save data on D:\
Old 10-28-04, 09:20 AM

I actually had moved the page file to my other partition a long time ago, and a good thing I did! I do a disk cleanup every day, including getting rid of all but the most recent restore points. I've renamed the folder like you said, so I guess I'll just let it run for a while.
Old 10-28-04, 09:23 AM

Very interesting...I just ran a virus scan on a single large file (as opposed to a system scan, which usually caused my system to warn of low disk space recently), and it created a new folder to replace the one I'd just renamed. After the scan, it was empty. I'm hoping this is a good sign and that it means all those files really are just things that were meant to be deleted but for some shoddy Symantec coding.
Old 10-28-04, 07:10 PM
toq

Just as you've surmised, this is a temporary folder used by NAVCE. You should be able to delete this folder without concern. According to this Symantec knowledgebase article, it's used as a temporary location when it scans compressed files.
Old 10-28-04, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the tip. It's really annoying that it managed to rack up 1.8GB in just 3 months though. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it from now on.