Reload this Page >

My computer freaked out - What do I do?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-27-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, I did some minor stuff, like upgrading to iTunes 4.7.

This morning, when I first booted up the computer, nothing happened, and it never loaded.

I restarted and it instantly froze.

Now, trying to tinker with it, my sound card is disabled, my taskbar/start menu is no longer the usual default green bar, (but rather the gray Windows Standard) and I don't think I can print anymore.

I tried to run System Restore, but there were no backups for me to use, and thus it was useless.

I also ran Spybot, an anti-virus program, and HiJack this, and it didn't fix much. Even more frustrating, my CD-RW drive refuses to recognize any CD, so I can't backup the really super important files that I should have. Does anybody know what's going on, and how I can return how to normal? Thanks!

Last edited by freedexter; 10-27-04 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disconnect all unncessary items from the computer. Only have the mouse Keyboard, and monitor connected. Reboot
If it fails to boot normally into Windows if not, boot to Safe Mode

Try to boot into SafeMode. Upon computer startup, hit the F8 key (on top of the keyboard) until you get a black and white startup screen, select Safe Mode from the choices and see if it will load Windows. I suppose you are using Win XP (unknown if any service packs are applied) or Windows Millenium.

If it boots into safe mode, uninstall the I-Tunes from the Control Panel>Add Remove Programs
Reboot

If it still won't load after the I-Tunes removal, then re-boot into safeMode again and once into Windows (SafeMode), go to Start>Run>type in "msconfig" without the quotes and click Ok
Click on the "Startup" tab, uncheck everything. Click OK

Reboot
See if it will then boot into Windows normally

Advise
Also, advise if you had done ANYTHING recently such as add software and/or hardware..

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 10-27-04 at 07:30 PM.