Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What would cause a wireless connection to drop, then reestablish shortly thereafter?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What would cause a wireless connection to drop, then reestablish shortly thereafter?

Old 10-27-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a wireless connection running for several months. I've never had a problem with it. Until about three days ago, I'd never get any dropped signal. Now, I can hardly connect. Often, it will be connected, it'll drop signal, and about 2 seconds later reestablish the signal. I've been switching the channels, but it seems to be doing that on quite a few of them. Any ideas?
Old 10-27-04, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you live in an apartment?

Either way, it could be the use of a 2.4ghz telephone nearby (whether it is your phone or a neighbor's).
Old 10-27-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had that problem. I switched channels on my access point and that cleared it right up.
Old 10-27-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I'm an apartment dweller. Maybe one of my neighbors did get a new phone. Not sure. I've switched for now, and it seems to be working OK.
Old 10-27-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What would cause a wireless connection to drop, then reestablish shortly thereafter?

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
I've had a wireless connection running for several months. I've never had a problem with it. Until about three days ago, I'd never get any dropped signal. Now, I can hardly connect. Often, it will be connected, it'll drop signal, and about 2 seconds later reestablish the signal. I've been switching the channels, but it seems to be doing that on quite a few of them. Any ideas?
The "channels" are weird. The signals are spread spectrum and the frequency range used is broader than the channel spacing. Some interference can be tolerated, but you may need to move several channel numbers if another strong signal is present. Because of the breadth of the signal spectrum, you need to move five channels away before the frequencies are totally independent and non-overlapping. (You don't need complete independence and non-overlap, but its a good thing if you can get it.)
Old 10-27-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Re: What would cause a wireless connection to drop, then reestablish shortly thereafter?

Originally posted by OldDude
The "channels" are weird. The signals are spread spectrum and the frequency range used is broader than the channel spacing. Some interference can be tolerated, but you may need to move several channel numbers if another strong signal is present. Because of the breadth of the signal spectrum, you need to move five channels away before the frequencies are totally independent and non-overlapping. (You don't need complete independence and non-overlap, but its a good thing if you can get it.)
I went three, and it's been working OK so far.

I'm just pissed because last night I was in an online poker tournament. My connection dropped and wouldn't come back. After scrambling to try and fix it, I finally gave in a hooked up a wired connection. Of course I had been blinded down by then.
Old 10-27-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I had that problem when I first got my wireless. I switched from the default channel 6 to 11 and it works like a charm now. Seems like a better connection as well.
Old 10-27-04, 05:14 PM
Banned

With 802.11, you generally want to stick to channels 1, 6, or 11. Those don't overlap at all. Moving 1 or 2 channels is a bit useless.
Old 10-27-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Otto
With 802.11, you generally want to stick to channels 1, 6, or 11. Those don't overlap at all. Moving 1 or 2 channels is a bit useless.
See, that's the bizarre thing. I was on channel 6. It had been working fantastic until about a four days ago. I switched to three today, and it's working adequate so fare.
Old 10-27-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You probably had a neighbor go wireless. Channel 6 seems to be the standard default, so unless he had a problem, he left it on channel six and blew you out of the water.

If SSID is surpressed, I don't know if your wireless card even shows you there is a competing signal there. When I set mine up, I didn't see any signal but my own. Of course, I turned off SSID as soon as I was set up.
Old 10-27-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I can pick up about 3 other signals, but they are all very faint and won't let me leech. So, maybe the wireless phone thingy is more probable.
Old 10-28-04, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
See, that's the bizarre thing. I was on channel 6. It had been working fantastic until about a four days ago. I switched to three today, and it's working adequate so fare.
What it breaks down to is that the 802.11 signal is roughly 22Mhz wide. Each channel is 5 Mhz wide. So it looks like this:

Code:
Channels
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9   10    11
----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|

|---------------------|
802.11 signal (centered on 6)
So if you move it to channel 3, you aren't on channels 7 and 8 much anymore, but you're still overlapping with somebody wanting to use channel 6, sort of thing.

For maximum compatibility with other wireless in the area, sticking to 1, 6, and 11 is recommended. Because if you're on channel 3, then you're overlapping space also used by channels 1 and 6 and thus messing both of those up for other people. If you were on 1, then they could use 6 or 11, neither of which is overlapping. As it stands, with you on 3, they have to use 8 or above, which only gives them one non-overlapping space.

Using something other than 1, 6, or 11 is essentially rude.

Last edited by Otto; 10-28-04 at 10:21 AM.