Reload this Page >

How to secure Wireless router and Card

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-26-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wireless router is D-Link DI-614+ and my wireless card is Buffalo WLI-CB-B11 Wireless LAN Adapter.
I tried the manual and I lose connections and have to reset the whole router.
Any sites or advice on doing this?I am new in this.The Router is connected to the company's line where I can Print on the Lan Printer and access the net.
But not connected to the network of the company.So no one can access my files and I cannot access theirs.I am just worried someone from outside might be accesing my router as I have not secured it.
Old 10-28-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

change the SSID

disable broadcasting of SSID

enable MAC filtering

enable WEP

you may have to do a firmware upgrade to make WEP work. in some of my old Linksys crap the WEP didn't work properly without the latest firmware
Old 10-28-04, 01:16 PM
Banned

Of those, only:
-change the SSID
-enable WEP
are actually necessary. The other two don't provide any extra security above and beyond these.

-disable broadcasting of SSID
This just makes it so that the network doesn't automatically appear in the list of networks when Windows shows the list. However, if somebody has a tool to crack the WEP, it'll show the SSID easily, and all they have to do is to type it in.

-enable MAC filtering
This prevents cards from connecting to the access point unless they have the MAC address allowed. However, if somebody can crack the WEP, they'll have access to read the network traffic and can simply clone your MAC and voila, they're in. Extremely trivial to bypass, it's mainly useful for preventing people from accidentally connecting to your network and then only when you're not using WEP.
Old 10-28-04, 06:43 PM
toq

Originally posted by Otto
Of those, only:
-change the SSID
-enable WEP
are actually necessary. The other two don't provide any extra security above and beyond these.
I must be a little slow today but I'm a bit confused by your post. If we go by your reasoning of someone cracking WEP, what would the point of enabling only the two options that you suggested? Why change the SSID if they can obtain it anyway as you indicated and obviously, why enable WEP if it's going to be cracked anyway? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just really curious.
Old 10-28-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If all possible don't use WEP and use WPA, it is much more secure.

As for the WEP keys, broadcasting SSID and MAC filtering I would enable all of them. Yes the can be circumvented but why make it easy for them? The harder you make your system to crack the more of a chance they are going to go after a non secure network, and they are all over the place.

Finally if you do use WEP and want to me more secure, change your WEP key every week or so that will keep them guessing.
Old 10-28-04, 09:20 PM

I tried the two different options to secure my wireless netgear router on XP. I was able to connect to it myself w/ another XP machine. However, my housemate with a Apple Power Book could no longer connect using the password i created.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-29-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jasonr114
I tried the two different options to secure my wireless netgear router on XP. I was able to connect to it myself w/ another XP machine. However, my housemate with a Apple Power Book could no longer connect using the password i created.

Any thoughts?
Get rid of the Power Book?

Seriously, I don't know that much about Apple's Maybe try updating the drivers for the wireless card.
Old 10-30-04, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus
Get rid of the Power Book?

Seriously, I don't know that much about Apple's Maybe try updating the drivers for the wireless card.
lol... my toughts exactly... although, he is a graphic designer, and you can't do that without apple
Old 10-30-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My iBook can connect to my linksys network with the passcode. What does the error say?
Old 10-30-04, 10:00 PM

I actually dont know the error. His power book connects fine, as long as i dont try to restrict access with a password.

When I set a password, my roommate tried to connect, entered the password, and it didnt work... so i put the access back to unrestricted...

he is rarely around, so i cant really trouble-shoot it that well since i dont want to mess with his apple, it scares me!
Old 10-30-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ran into some problems a long time ago when trying to mix devices from different vendors while using alphanumeric keys. It was fixed when I switched to using HEX keys, so I've been using them ever since. You might want to give that a try.
Old 11-02-04, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by toq
I must be a little slow today but I'm a bit confused by your post. If we go by your reasoning of someone cracking WEP, what would the point of enabling only the two options that you suggested? Why change the SSID if they can obtain it anyway as you indicated and obviously, why enable WEP if it's going to be cracked anyway? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just really curious.
You change the SSID because the SSID is what separates networks. If you're using the default SSID, then it's easier to step onto somebody else's network or vice versa, by accident.

You enable WEP because that's the whole security. Substitute WPA if you prefer, same deal.

My point was that Enabling MAC Filtering and Disabling SSID broadcast don't actually add any real security above and beyond using encryption like WEP/WPA. If somebody is capable of breaking WEP, then they're capable of bypassing your MAC Filters and manually finding the SSID within about 1 minute. And if somebody is not capable of breaking WEP, then these don't matter anyway, as they can't get in without breaking the WEP.

If you have WEP/WPA, then that's good enough. You don't need to go any further, especially with ineffective mechanisms. Enabling MAC filtering and disabling the SSID broadcast don't add any actual security, they just make it harder on you when you *want* to add some machine to the network. With MAC Filtering off and with SSID broadcast on, then all I have to do to get a machine onto the network is to input the WEP/WPA key.

Originally posted by toq
Yes the can be circumvented but why make it easy for them? The harder you make your system to crack the more of a chance they are going to go after a non secure network, and they are all over the place.
But see, that's what I'm saying.. It's *not* any harder. Not at all.

I'm more than capable of breaking WEP. All it takes is time. Once I have the WEP key, it's literally a matter of seconds to get onto the network. MAC Filtering, disabling SSID broadcast, these are not obstacles of any kind whatsoever. These are not even meant to be security mechanisms. They don't prevent me from connecting to the network, they don't prevent me from getting in. They are literally a matter of typing in one *short* line to get around each.

If you have WEP/WPA and I don't have the time to crack it, then I'll try another network, certainly. But I don't even *notice* if you have enabled MAC Filtering or disabled SSID broadcasts. These are so trivial to bypass that they're not even a factor. That's what I'm saying here.

These are not security mechanisms. They do not add any security at all. None whatsoever. Zero. Enable them if you like, but don't delude yourself as to their worth. From a security standpoint, they are totally worthless.

Last edited by Otto; 11-02-04 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-04-04, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jasonr114
lol... my toughts exactly... although, he is a graphic designer, and you can't do that without apple
Says who? I've been Graphic Designing on PC's for over 15 years and pracitcally never touched an apple computer except for 1 year when I HAD to use an IFruit and it was one of the worst computing experiences of my life

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 11-05-04 at 12:11 AM.