Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Win XP Pro networking question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-26-04, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 pcs..one a laptop and one a desktop. The laptop is connected to a domain called "emotion" while the desktop is just a home pc that is part of "Workgroup". I have a shared drive (F:\) that is on the desktop I would like to be able to access from the laptop. Whenever I try and connect to it from the windows network in windows explorer, I get a login screen. I have tried every combination possible and always get the same error:

You might not have permission to use this network resource. Etc, etc.

All I want to do is connect to a shared drive on another computer. This can't be as hard as windows is making it. Please help me. TIA.

Both PCs are running Win XP Pro. The Desktop has Service Pack 2 on it, but all the firewall stuff is turned off. This worked fine when both computers were on the "Workgroup" area, but the laptop is a work laptop and they want it on the "Emotion" domain. Thanks

Pritam
Old 10-27-04, 06:47 AM

one thing that you might want to try is enable advanced file sharing. This is done through the Tools-Folder Options-Advanced Settings there is a check in there called "Use Simple File Sharing" uncheck it. This unlocks a bunch of different settings in the file sharing menu. You might be able to set up con fig profiles for your laptop so like if you pick work it would connect to the domain and if you click home it will connect to a workgourp, I'm not quite sure how to do this but I think it can be done.
Old 10-27-04, 08:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Win XP Pro networking question

Originally posted by pdutta2000
.... Whenever I try and connect to it from the windows network in windows explorer, I get a login screen.

Check the share permissions and make sure that either the "Everyone" account or the account you want to use on the desktop have been granted access to the share.

When the logon window appears, type in desktopname\username for the username, and then the password that matches your selected username.
Old 10-27-04, 09:32 AM

Re: Re: Win XP Pro networking question

Originally posted by Dead

When the logon window appears, type in desktopname\username for the username, and then the password that matches your selected username.
Thanks for the help....that ended up working. I was typing in the username and password without the name of the desktop computer in front so it wouldn't let me in. Thanks again.