Reload this Page >

Odd ? about monitor radiation.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-26-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know just how bad the radiation is coming out of the top of the monitor? One of our cats will camp out there for hours, and we wonder about anything bad happening to her.

Her declawing went bad many years ago and we figure she likes the heat on her paws.
Old 10-26-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This article is short on details, but it says the emissions limits of monitors have to be met on all external surfaces.
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate...vdtscreen.html

If the dose is safe over human lifetime, I would think it is safe over the shorter lifetime of a cat. I wouldn't worry. But due to lack of detail, I am guessing.
Old 10-26-04, 03:39 PM
Banned

Computer screens don't emit any kind of "radiation" in the way most people think of radiation. They emit RF, visible light, and magnetic fields. This is all non-harmful. Potentially harmful "radiation" comes from nuclear interactions like decay or fusion or what have you. Ionizing radiation, in other words.

RF can be bad for you or the cat at *EXTREMELY* high levels. None of which could be generated without special equipment. A monitor or TV screen ain't gonna cut it.
Old 10-26-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The high voltage in CRTs produce small doses of (relatively) soft xrays. (Yes, electrons are hurt in bringing that image to you) The CRT glass is lead-doped to minimize how much gets out. Since the high voltage is in the range of 10-20 kv, the xrays have similar energy levels and are well above the 10 ev accepted limit for the beginning of ionizing radiation. It is about dose.

LCD screens, by design, wouldn't produce any xrays.
Old 10-26-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Found the limit from 21CFR. TVs and computer monitors are certified to less than 5 mRoentgen/hr at the surface of the case. Unfortunately, the Roentgen is defined in terms of charge produced in a volume of dry air, and not very convertible to dose absorbed by tissue, which is usually measured in "rem" -- roentgen equivalent man. At higher energies, like 100 kv xray, roetgen and rem are basically equivalent. For the softer xray from tvs, and for cats, I have no real idea and can't find any usefeul data.
Old 10-27-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Well from the link above, it doesn't look like much to worry about. I thank you and Andromeda thanks you

Let me know if that's too big.
Old 10-27-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's the cutest cat EVER!