Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Ipod owners. Come here and give advice. :)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-26-04, 01:15 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay.

I'll soon be an Ipod owner. I will be getting a 4G 40Gb Ipod. I want the dock and extra space is nice.

Anyways.. What are some essential programs and websites for me to visit?

I know I've seen people post a link to a webpage that displays their ipod contents and some stats about songs, etc.

Anything else I need to know?

Should I get the Applecare plan?

What can I expect?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

www.ipodlounge.com has all the info about iPods you could ask for.

I didn't get the Applecare plan, but I can't really say its a bad idea. If you ever have hard drive or battery problems it will be easy to get your iPod fixed.

What I did in expectation of my iPod was load up iTunes with all my music. That way when the iPod got here I was ready to sync it up and go.
Old 10-26-04, 02:20 PM
Banned

Download and install the iPod firmware updater and iTunes. Rumor says that these will not install properly under XP SP2, so you'll want to install them before installing SP2. They work fine after SP2 is installed though, it seems to be a bug with the install program.

Alternatively, eschew iTunes and use some other program. The only programs for Windows that support True Smart Playlists are:
- iTunes
- foo_pod plugin for the foobar 2000 player (has more Smart Playlist support than even iTunes has)
- mlipod plugin for Winamp (kinda new, still a bit buggy, but getting there)

If you don't care about smart playlists, then there's also:
- Ephpod
- X-Play
- Anapod Explorer
and many others...

Last edited by Otto; 10-26-04 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 02:23 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I have Itunes installed already, and its the most current version. It was installed before SP2. I installed it earlier in the year for the free itunes codes on pepsi bottle caps.

Once I get the Ipod, I can install the firmware updater and see how it goes.
Old 10-26-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

iPodder is a program I recently discovered. Still trying to find content that's interesting, though.
Old 10-26-04, 03:08 PM

Get iPod Agent. It's a really cool little program. As you mentioned above, it lets you create web pages containing the contents of your iPod. Also, it lets you copy music FROM your iPod back to your computer. This is something you cannot do with iTunes. iTunes only allows you to copy from your computer to your iPod, not the other way around.

http://www.ipodsoft.com/ipodagent.aspx

Also, get a skin or some sort of case. While the iPod by itself is a great looking item, it is very prone to being scratched. I use the iSkin eVo2:

http://www.iskin.com

However, there are tons of cases other than iSkin, just pick one you like.

And, as someone else recommend, visit ipodlounge.com. It's an awesome site with all the info you'd ever need.
Old 10-26-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm reposting this from the Music Talk forum, I totally forgot there was a Tech Talk here.

I'm getting a 40g iPod for xmas, and want to get a head start on ripping my cds. I am by no means an audiophile, but I'd rather do this the right way so I never have to do it again. This will likely be my sole music source - I'm planning on using it on my home stereo and in my car.

That said, should I rip CDs into WMA (lossless) files, then convert them to AAC? Or should I just rip them via iTunes? And if so, at what bitrate? I currently just have an mp3 player I use for running, and everything is just 96 kbps.

My main concerns are:

- Fitting all my CDs onto the iPod. I don't want a bunch of CDs over here and a bunch of others on my iPod. I would like to have my iPod and that's it. So I definitely want to leave myself as much space as is reasonably possible. That said, I don't want to rip all my CDs at a bit rate that is "inferior".

- I do not want to rerip all these CDs ever again.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How many CDs do you have? I have about 550 ripped at 160-320kbs mp3 and I'm using less than 30GB of disc space.
Old 10-26-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have about 300, but a lot of them are live concert CDs that are longer than the average studio album.

I just want to make sure I have (1) everything at a reasonably high quality and (2) plenty of room for years to come.
Old 10-26-04, 03:43 PM
Banned

I rip to AAC at 160 kbps. Sometimes I go to 192 for classical music. I can fit about 6000 songs into 30 gig this way.

128 AAC is fine for computer speakers and low end headphones. You might want higher if you use a stereo system or higher end headphones for the playback.

If you decide to use MP3 instead, only use the latest stable LAME version from www.rarewares.org, using the --alt-preset standard settings or better. Do not use any other MP3 encoder.

For ripping, rip using ExactAudioCopy. For MP3, you can use LAME directly with EAC. For AAC, you can have EAC actually use iTunes to encode to AAC, if you use the iTunes encode program available at http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode.zip .
Old 10-26-04, 03:45 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Man.. The IPodlounge site is the worst site I've ever seen.
It takes forever to load, if it even loads. And when I try to register, it keeps timing out and I have to enter in all my stuff again.

I have tried on 2 computers and 2 different browsers.
Both computers are windows xp. I guess the site is really designed for Macs. At least it seems that way.
Or they are just on a really crappy webserver.
Old 10-26-04, 03:53 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

there's also a small (one .exe less than 400 kb) program called Sharepod that can be placed and run off the ipod itself that allows you to copy and transfer songs back and forth without having to install anything on your computer or any computer you take it to. Also allows a sort of p2p type sharing if others have it running (haven't tried this myself)

http://www25.brinkster.com/carmagt/SharePod/

I also just found out that you can run ephpod off the ipod as well. gonna have to try this when i get home.
Old 10-26-04, 03:58 PM
Retired

Keep in mind quality settings really varies on personal preference and whether or not you're an audiophile.

I played around and tested several, and found 128 mp3's encoded in musicmatch jukebox and I-tunes sounded fine to me, both on my player with headphones (my primary use) or hooked up to my home theater.

Audiophiles would here the differences between that and cd's and not be satisfied, but I can't tell the difference, so it's good enough for me.
Old 10-26-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New iPods were released today.

www.apple.com/ipod - Normal iPod

www.apple.com/ipodphoto - Color Photo iPod

www.apple.com/ipod/u2 - U2 Edition
Old 10-26-04, 06:04 PM

i use Exact Audio Copy to rip to .WAV
Then use the RazorLame front end with Lame 3.93, on alt-preset standard. great VBR sound.
Old 10-26-04, 06:19 PM

Vryce-

Give ipodlounge another chance on another day before you dub it the "worst site" you've ever seen.

They must be having problems today, as their site has been slow and/or down all day. However, I've been visiting their site for about a year now and it's a fantastic site that usually loads in no time at all.
Old 10-26-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Vryce
Man.. The IPodlounge site is the worst site I've ever seen.
It takes forever to load, if it even loads. And when I try to register, it keeps timing out and I have to enter in all my stuff again.

I have tried on 2 computers and 2 different browsers.
Both computers are windows xp. I guess the site is really designed for Macs. At least it seems that way.
Or they are just on a really crappy webserver.
There was a big announcement from Apple, today. They released the Photo iPod (color screen, can dislpay photos as well as play music) and a special black U2 iPod. Traffic generally increaes aLOT when there are big announcements. It's generally pretty fast.
Old 10-26-04, 07:25 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Okay.. I will give it another chance and wait a day or two to browse again when the new news announcements traffic dies down.

It was just frustrating because I was trying to browse it and was getting no where and lots of timeout messages.
Old 10-26-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That Ipod site kicks butt, I love the Ipod around the world section!
Old 10-26-04, 08:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm trying to decide what model to get. 20 gig is a lot of songs.. But the 40 gig model comes with the dock with is $40 on its own and holds double the songs.

Probably go with apple care as well, so thats another $59. At least my student id will get me $30 off.

Its a bit of money to drop.
Old 10-26-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm trying to decide what model to get. 20 gig is a lot of songs.. But the 40 gig model comes with the dock with is $40 on its own and holds double the songs.

Probably go with apple care as well, so thats another $59. At least my student id will get me $30 off.

Its a bit of money to drop.
I have an Ipod mini and i LOVE it! I use it for exercising and it works like a charm. If I were you I would go for the 40 gig model, you might as well.
Old 10-26-04, 08:38 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot where I read it but someone once said that if you have the size you will use it. I didn't think i'd ever fill up the 4 gig mini b/c i rarely listen to music but a couple of box sets later and i find myself swapping about 3.5 gigs of music every 3 or 4 days (figured out how to play music off the ipod and share with coworkers without having to copy songs over to the desktop).

What i'm trying to say is, if you have the funds, go for the higher capacity, you'll reach it's limits in no time . I'm actually debating getting a 20 gig (my limitation is indeed funds) for work and long trips and using the mini for short/medium drives and workouts.

Last edited by HN; 10-26-04 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 09:42 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Okay.. So,now I have some new questions.

I picked up the 40 Gb model last night with the Apple Care plan. I also got one of the ISkin eVo2 cases, clear, to protect the iPod.

It took me a bit to install the software on the cd. I had itunes already installed, so the disk gave me the choice to repair or remove. I removed, and rebooted. Then had to install the cd again to get iTunes to install. Then, of course, a new version of iTunes was available. I had 4.6 and the cd had 4.6, but iTunes site had 4.7

I sycned up my iTunes songs and it copied them all to my iPod with no problems. I really like the interaction between iTunes and the iPod. I can really use iTunes to its full potential.

I had to use the USB cable to connect the dock to my computer. Which sucked, because my laptop isn't USB 2.0. And the firewire cable that came with the iPod was the wrong size end. I have a small firewire input in my laptop, and the cable has the large connector. So, I have to by a conversion cable or something. I want to use Firewire since its faster then USB 1.1.

I installed the iPod agent program, and it says it couldn't find my iPod. Is that because its not connected via firewire or a USB 2.0 port? I hope so. iTunes had no problem detecting my iPod.

Next question, I want to get a car charger. Which is the best one to get that won't fry the iPod or overcharge and ruin the battery?

I have to get the fm transmitter for my vehicle to listen to the iPod as I don't have a tape player and I'm pretty sure my factory stereo doesn't have an input in the back. I know there isn't one in the front.
I'm looking at the Belkin TuneCast II because it has digital tuning and takes in the full range from 87.7 to 107.7. Which is good because there are a ton of stations in the Detroit area. The regular model lets you pick from 4 frequencies around 87.7 and there is a radio station that broadcasts on 88.7, so that one wouldn't work.
Is the Belkin TuneCast II any good? Is there a better fm transmitter?

If I think of any more questions, I'll post.
Thanks.

Another question. I have a couple of songs that I purchased off itunes and then later bought and ripped the cd. I imported the ripped mp3s into iTunes and when it transfers all my songs to my iPod, I have some doubles. Is there a way to stop certain songs from transferring to the iPod? I want to not have it transfer the single songs I bought and just transfer over the entire ripped cd.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 10-27-04 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FM transmitters suck, in general. But if you are going to get one, go with the Griffin iTrip. It sits on top of the iPod and matches perfectly. Transmits on a VERY FULL RANGE of frequencies and is more powerful than the other offerings. You tune it with a special mp3 file that plays a sequence of beeps that the iTrip recognizes. You can even download frequencies for other countries, including even FM frequencies and tune those in. But be warned, even the iTrip isn't very powerful. You have to positiuon it just right or you get static, drop-outs, etc. If you can go with a hard-wired solution, do it.
Old 10-27-04, 10:49 AM
Banned

Then, of course, a new version of iTunes was available. I had 4.6 and the cd had 4.6, but iTunes site had 4.7
4.7, BTW, seems to work fine under XP SP2. I installed it last night, no issues.

I had to use the USB cable to connect the dock to my computer. Which sucked, because my laptop isn't USB 2.0. And the firewire cable that came with the iPod was the wrong size end. I have a small firewire input in my laptop, and the cable has the large connector. So, I have to by a conversion cable or something. I want to use Firewire since its faster then USB 1.1.
There is a connector convertor you can buy that looks like this:

Alternatively, you can buy a cable with a 6 pin on one end and a 4 pin on the other. I have one of these for my laptop's firewire connection. I suggest going to a computer store and not Best Buy or something, because they really rape you on firewire cables at BB.

Next question, I want to get a car charger. Which is the best one to get that won't fry the iPod or overcharge and ruin the battery?
The charger doesn't control the charge time in the iPod's case. The iPod handles that itself. I use the Belkin charger, but a cheaper charger is just as good.

I have to get the fm transmitter for my vehicle to listen to the iPod as I don't have a tape player and I'm pretty sure my factory stereo doesn't have an input in the back. I know there isn't one in the front.
All FM transmitting devices suck. What kind of car do you have? What kind of stereo? Most car stereos can be outfitted with an AUX input, even if they don't have one normally. It just takes the right kind of connector devices.

Another question. I have a couple of songs that I purchased off itunes and then later bought and ripped the cd. I imported the ripped mp3s into iTunes and when it transfers all my songs to my iPod, I have some doubles. Is there a way to stop certain songs from transferring to the iPod? I want to not have it transfer the single songs I bought and just transfer over the entire ripped cd.
Plug in the iPod. In iTunes, right click the iPod and select "iPod options". Turn on the checkmark next to "Skip Checked Files" or something like that. Now find the files you don't want to transfer in iTunes, and remove the checkmark next to them. This looks like a check in a little blue box on the left side of the song name. Right click the iPod and select "update iPod" and it'll resync, and this time non-checked songs won't be put onto the iPod.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.