Reload this Page >

Best Computer Speakers - Suggestions?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-25-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a 2.1 system w/ remote volume control and headphone jack. Currently have Monsoon 700's on the fritz. Looking for similar system in terms of sound and power (about 11 watts for satellites and 22 watts for sub). Must have good bass. Any suggestions? Looked at Bose Companion 3, but $$$, plus they don't disclose the wattage rating.
Old 10-25-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Please explain your understanding of wattage & how it relates to quality. There are so many people who get gagged up on this and they don't really understand what they are truly getting.

If you are a specs type of buyer, then I'd be more concerned with RMS power & THD. Does wattage make them sound better or does the quality? I'm not trying to bash you per se, I just wanted to recommend that you listen to the systems available and let your ears decide what's best to you. Not just what's on a piece of paper. You can have a 500 watt amp / speaker system with a high THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) rating & it will sound like crap. Yes, it's 500 watts, but it's crap sound.

The Bose Companion 3 system is very nice for the price. I own three sets of them.

Only you can decide what you like. Here's some reviews for you:

Click Here

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 10-25-04 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reply. I use my computer as primary stereo, so I wanted something that sounds great and can handle being turned up. The Monsoon's fit the bill, but no one seems to sell them anymore. How do the companion 3's hold up when you turn up the volume? any distortion? I've heard them demoed in the Bose store and an electronics store. Both time they were playing classical music so i couldn't really judge the sound. I primarily listent to Pop, R&B, Reggae (lots of bass).
Old 10-25-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How about the Klipsch 2.1 system?
Old 10-25-04, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by bahgee
Thanks for the reply. I use my computer as primary stereo, so I wanted something that sounds great and can handle being turned up. The Monsoon's fit the bill, but no one seems to sell them anymore. How do the companion 3's hold up when you turn up the volume? any distortion? I've heard them demoed in the Bose store and an electronics store. Both time they were playing classical music so i couldn't really judge the sound. I primarily listent to Pop, R&B, Reggae (lots of bass).
They sound very good @ high volume levels. I use one set for my main computer, another for my MAME arcade cabinet & the third set with my plat panel TV in my master bedroom. I have the same listening preferences as you.

The display @ the Bose store, did it have a rubber keyboard in front of it? If so, you can press any button on the keyboard and it advances to the next selection. There were a couple of jazz/blues selections on there as I recall. I really wanted one of the keyboards as they were kinda cool.

Sonic
Old 10-26-04, 07:21 PM

Check out Boston Acoustics if you can find them. I have a set of BA7500 and they sound phenomenal. Great bass, best Ive ever heard from a computer speaker sub. It is a 4.1 system but the first two years I had them they were hooked up as a 2.1, only hooked up the surrounds when I bought a new computer with a dvd drive.
Old 10-26-04, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by dmvksv
Check out Boston Acoustics if you can find them. I have a set of BA7500 and they sound phenomenal. Great bass, best Ive ever heard from a computer speaker sub. It is a 4.1 system but the first two years I had them they were hooked up as a 2.1, only hooked up the surrounds when I bought a new computer with a dvd drive.
I've heard those, & they do sound good!

Sonic
Old 10-26-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll hit up BestBuy this weekend to see if they have the Klipsch or Bose 3 hooked up. Leaning toward the Bose at this point. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 10-26-04, 10:06 PM

where do you put the subwoofer. I bought a 2.1 on clearance. mine is behind the monitor(flat panel)
Old 10-26-04, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by blakader
where do you put the subwoofer. I bought a 2.1 on clearance. mine is behind the monitor(flat panel)
Mine is underneath my desk, directly on the floor. It's towards the back, against the wall.

_______
[ ] x [ ]

Sonic
Old 10-26-04, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by bahgee
I'll hit up BestBuy this weekend to see if they have the Klipsch or Bose 3 hooked up. Leaning toward the Bose at this point. Thanks for all the suggestions!
If you have an Mp3 player or walkman, take it with you. There is an aux input on the control pod (volume control) and it will allow you to test with your own music! You'll need a cable that is a stereo 1/8" mini-plug on both ends. edited to add pic here's a picture-

One end to your player (headphone output or line output) and the other end plugs int the aux input on the Bose control pod.

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 10-27-04 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-26-04, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Sonicflood
Mine is underneath my desk, directly on the floor. It's towards the back, against the wall.

_______
[ ] x [ ]

Sonic
would I get a better sound if it were down on the floor between the wall and desk?

Last edited by blakader; 10-26-04 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, Monsoon is dead
Old 10-27-04, 10:29 AM

would I get a better sound if it were down on the floor between the wall and desk?
Only you can answer that. Give it a try. The bass is a bit deeper in my situation. My desk is similar to this one:

This acts sort of like a bass chamber. I can tell a difference whether it's under the desk or outside of it. I don't have the bass adjustment knob (on bass module) set as high when it's under the desk. Either location sounds good. I just wanted to hide the bass module from sight.

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 10-27-04 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 10:48 AM

bahgee:

If you go back to the Bose store, see if they have any of the factory renewed Companion 3's. They have the same 1 year warranty as the new. That's where I bought mine.

They were $199/set. Plus, I got a free $50 iTunes gift certificate, per set that I purchased! That equalled a $150 credit at the iTunes music site. The gift certificates were mailed to me within 1 week of my purchase.

Sonic
Old 10-27-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the suggestion Sonic. Aprreciate all your feedback!
Old 10-28-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recommend the Swans that Newegg carries they are not only very nice to look at they sound fantastic.

Here is a link:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...136-102&depa=0
Old 10-28-04, 12:20 PM
Banned

A subwoofer should nearly always be placed in a corner of the room, such that the driver is no more than 20 inches from any immediately adjacent wall. This placement provides for the lowest distortion and the best possible sound. If you have multiple subs, it's more complicated than that, but with a single sub this is easily the best way to do it. Position and direction it faces don't matter much, as low frequencies are much less directional than higher ones are.