Reload this Page >

"remote desktop connection" with W2K?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-23-04, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I am trying to setup a new server. My other servers were LINUX based and I would SSH into them and do stuff. Well, that does not work with this windows based server.

Tech support says I need to use remote desktop connection. But I don't see that on my computer. A quick yahoo search seems to make me think it comes with XP. Is there something for Windows 2000?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure I use UltraVNC on our work server and I believe it is freeware.
Old 10-23-04, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, now looking for it. Is this for the server side or the client side? I am looking for something to run on my home W2K system that can log into the remote server. I can't install the server software, because I don't have root access.
Old 10-23-04, 06:19 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
It's called Terminal Services and it's something you install as a Windows Component in the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet on the server.

On the client side it's called the Terminal Services Client. I forget if it's installed automatically with Windows. It should be under Accessories->Communications.
Old 10-23-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RandyC
Thanks, now looking for it. Is this for the server side or the client side? I am looking for something to run on my home W2K system that can log into the remote server. I can't install the server software, because I don't have root access.
Yeah I was afraid you were going to ask more questions...the help of a more knowledagle otter is needed now
Old 10-23-04, 06:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Remember, it's potentially a big security hole and you need to open up port 3389 on your firewall if it's not already open. You should be using VPN or have some other secure connection if you're using it.